NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

The NFL will nearly double its media revenue to more than $10 billion a season with new rights agreements announced Thursday, including a deal with Amazon Prime Video that gives the streaming service exclusive rights to "Thursday Night Football" beginning in 2022.

37 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

The NFL will nearly double its media revenue to more than $10 billion a season with new rights agreements announced Thursday, including a deal with Amazon Prime Video that gives the streaming service exclusive rights to "Thursday Night Football" beginning in 2022.

I need streaming nfl sunday ticket. I cancelled my direct tv.

The Broncos made Justin Simmons an offer than resulted in the player trading an eight-figure guaranteed salary in 2021 and a likely shot at the open market in 2022 for an even more lucrative long-term deal.

In Simmons’ case, he gave up the chance to make $13.73 million this year and becoming a free agent next year for a four-year deal that pays out $32.1 million fully guaranteed at signing, with a practical guarantee of $35 million.

Here are terms of the deal:

1. Signing bonus: $15 million.

2. 2021 base salary: $2 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2022 base salary: $15.1 million, fully guaranteed.

3. 2023 base salary: $14.4 million, $2.9 million of which is guaranteed for injury at signing and becomes fully guaranteed on the fifth day of the 2022 league year.

4. 2024 base salary: $14.5 million.

It’s a two-year, $32 million deal with another $2.9 million that spills into 2023. If Simmons slips over the next two seasons, however, the $2.9 million they’ll owe won’t outweigh the $11.5 million difference.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/03/21/inside-the-justin-simmons-deal/

Paton doing work, that's for sure. healthy investment or over the top risk taking?

On 3/18/2021 at 4:22 PM, viking said:

9 away games next season is not ideal. Hopefully Herbert has a sophomore slump

He will...it's inevitable.  He's not Patrick Mahomes.  

But, while it appears that the AFC will be home this year and the NFC in 2022, I still hope that starting in 2023, all of the 17th games will be neutral site games, because I don't like the idea of any team having more home games in a season than any other, regardless of it being conference-specific.  It has the likelihood of creating some type of unintended economic inequity (which I can't foresee at this point, but someone smarter than me can probably think of it).  

Edited by swede700

7 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Boooo...I love football, but a 17th game and probably a continuation of expanded playoffs, all but inviting serious injury to crucial players.

2 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

Boooo...I love football, but a 17th game and probably a continuation of expanded playoffs, all but inviting serious injury to crucial players.

I always think that argument is hogwash, considering it's the same number of games overall.  They've never played over 20 games in a season (when the season was 14, there were 6 preseason games).  I would have preferred them doing away with the Thursday games, since that creates a substantial higher risk of injury...replacing a preseason game with a regular season game does not, at least as far as I'm concerned.  Higher maybe (because they'll be playing longer than they would have in the preseason version of the game), but not substantially higher.