NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

The D might not be as good though without Peters at corner and they need an edge rusher to develop but at least they got Roquan Smith who is great for them.  Ojabo, Bowser or Oweh really have to breakout for them though because those edge rushers need improvement.  They have Kyle Hamilton a super star safety so that should help with the loss of Peters at least. 

How do you see Simpson fitting into their defense. I was, admittedly, a little miffed when he went right before our pick but it seems like they were locked in on Blackmon.

9 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

How do you see Simpson fitting into their defense. I was, admittedly, a little miffed when he went right before our pick but it seems like they were locked in on Blackmon.

Ehh, I imagine he is just a replacement for Queen in the future, Queen who I was never a huge fan of either but thought he was more impactful than Simpson.  Simpson is a great athlete but I was kind of disappointed in him last year, he should have been way more productive than he was, I think Carter and Trotter his teammates are better linebackers and more instincts.  Simpson just is so raw and does not have great instincts.  Could improve but with Roquan Smith it does not really matter he will make all the plays at ILB most likely.  

Tampa Bay Head Coach Todd Bowles will walk with the graduating class at Mount St. Mary’s University, where he will receive a degree in youth and community development — 37 years after leaving college.

Bowles: “Completing my degree was something I had always wanted to do over the years, because it was something I had promised my mother when I went to play in the NFL, and I wanted to follow through on that promise. Over the years, as I became a father, it became something I wanted to do in order to set a proper example for my sons as they continue on their educational paths. I have also worked pretty extensively with children through my various community projects, and I felt it was important to show them they can achieve whatever they set their mind to.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/37-years-later-todd-bowles-receives-college-degree/

• Like 4

Eagles quarterback Jalen Hurts has led his team to the Super Bowl and signed a contract that has him financially set for life this year, and now he’s added another accomplishment to the list: He received his master’s degree from Oklahoma. Hurts was awarded a master’s degree in human relations at a commencement ceremony on Friday night.

Hurts began his college football career at Alabama and received a bachelor’s degree despite spending only three years with the Crimson Tide. He then spent one year playing at Oklahoma, where he began his graduate work, and finished the master’s degree while playing in the NFL.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/05/13/jalen-hurts-gets-a-masters-degree-from-oklahoma/

impressive body of work for a soon to be 25 year old....

• Like 2

14 hours ago, swede700 said:

The greatest RB I never saw play (Barry Sanders is still the best RB I ever saw, though). 

There is no doubt in my mind that Brown would be a superstar in today's NFL.  He would likely restore the importance of the running back...which needs to happen in my opinion.  RIP Jim Brown!

32 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Do they get another rebrand, you think?

My guess is that they will stick with Commanders in the short term, even though it is not very popular.  It's pretty expensive to change the name of a franchise apparently.  I would bet that within three years they will change their logo...if not the name.  The military block W on their helmets is more boring than a green G on a pee yellow helmet!!!!

• Like 2

The Commanders isn’t a bad name for a team. It’s not fantastic, but it’s in the same category as names like the Cowboys, the Giants, the Vikings, etc. But their branding is terrible. The new owners need to come in and create a true brand. And it starts with finding a legit logo. 

I still think that they should have simply changed the team name to the Washington Warriors, and used the classic spear logo on their helmets. It removed the offensive part of their name, but would have kept the history. 

Or, if they absolutely had to remove all Native American ties, they should have embraced their history and renamed the team the Washington Hogs. It keeps a connection between the team and the fans, and you can create some sick logos off of it.