NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

The moment General Manager Howie Roseman announced the Eagles wouldn’t use the franchise tag on Nick Foles, the Jaguars became the favorites to land the quarterback in free agency. Alas, it appears Foles is headed to Jacksonville.

Les Bowen of philly.com reports a market for Foles “outside of Jacksonville has not developed” and the Jaguars “absolutely expect” to sign the former Super Bowl MVP when free agency opens March 13.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/03/report-jaguars-expected-to-sign-nick-foles/

On 3/2/2019 at 7:33 PM, wcblack34 said:

Oakland’s gonna take Kyler, aren’t they?

No, Oakland will probably take Drew Lock at #4, leaving Kyler Murray on the board...or they'll use one of their later 1st round picks on Daniel Jones...because that's just how silly they are.

• Like 1

Jamie Collins had two years left on the contract he signed with the team in 2017 and the terms for 2019 called for him to make a $10 million base salary while counting $11.75 million against the cap. The obvious implication of the conversation was that the Browns wanted to pay him less or not at all this season and Collins gave a hint about how that went when he tweeted “thanks for everything” to the team on Wednesday.

The Browns made it official a short time later by announcing that they have released Collins. The move creates $9.25 million in cap space.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/browns-release-jamie-collins/

This is the guy I know we often were discussing when comparing the contract that Barr would get. Seems to be that his $12.5M average was too much.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

The Browns are apparently shopping Kevin Zeitler. https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/03/06/report-kevin-zeitlers-name-has-been-thrown-around-in-trade-talks/

I was really interested in him when he was coming out of college.  What would the Browns want in exchange, I wonder?

Don't they need a CB opposite of Ward?

Why not Waynes for Zeitler?

On 3/7/2019 at 5:00 PM, SteelKing728 said:

Does Zeitler have a history with Zimmer in Cincinnati?

Zimmer's last two years in Cincinnati overlapped with Zeitler's first two years there. 

It is not clear whether Zimmer's reason for leaving Cincinnati was related to feeling like the Z section of the org chart was too crowded.

Edited by Cearbhall
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I'd consider that trade. Seems like a good deal for both sides. Zeitler is still relatively young at 28 for an interior OL and fills the huge void at RG.

So if we are hoping that we could get a second rounder for Waynes, would you trade our second rounder for Zeitler?

41 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

So if we are hoping that we could get a second rounder for Waynes, would you trade our second rounder for Zeitler?

I don't know. There are cap ramifications of trading picks for players. The Vikings cap situation makes trading player-for-player or player-for-pick more appealing than pick for player.

Adding players costs money that the team simply might not have. Doing so comes at the expense of some other player.

That said, I might do it just because guard is the hole I would want to be filling with those dollars.