NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

36 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It doesn’t matter that McGloin and Savage know the offense. They suck. Badly. You adapt your offense to a better player. Which Kaepernick is. 

Danny Devito might know the offense inside and out. Doesn’t mean he’s any good. 

Didn't you say the same thing about Keenum?

17 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

Didn't you say the same thing about Keenum?

Yup. And Kaepernick is a better player than Keenum. However, Keenum is a better player than Savage, McGloin, Hundley, Kizer, Kessler, Stanton, Cutler, and a many other QB's who are going to start games this season. Keenum also wasn't benched after a single half of fooball in the opening game of the season. 

13 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

It doesn’t matter that McGloin and Savage know the offense. They suck. Badly. You adapt your offense to a better player. Which Kaepernick is. 

Danny Devito might know the offense inside and out. Doesn’t mean he’s any good. 

This isn't Madden though where you can plug and play someone. McGloin knew the offense and Houston needed a backup this week. Knowing the offense absolutely matters. Consider the Josh Freeman fiasco for the Vikings in 2013.

If Kaepernick is signed, he'l need some time before he can start. His best bet may be to wait until the 2018 season to get a full offseason of work with a team.

Edited by SteelKing728

5 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

This isn't Madden though where you can plug and play someone. McGloin knew the offense and Houston needed a backup this week. Knowing the offense absolutely matters. Consider the Josh Freeman fiasco for the Vikings in 2013.

If Kaepernick is signed, he'l need some time before he can start. His best bet may be to wait until the 2018 season to get a full offseason of work with a team.

McGloin played one season for Obrien at Penn State. I'm sure he's a master of the offense. If you're playing your backup, any backup, on less than a week of practice with his new team, you're playing sandlot football. Kaep would still be better at that than McGloin would be with a week of preparation. 

And it's not just about this week. It's about the next 8 weeks. It's about a team that is one game out of first place in a very winnable division. Kaepernick is a far better choice over 8 weeks than either McGloin or Savage. 

But hey, it won't happen. The NFL has decided that already. We are out of the Herm Edwards "you play to win the game" era. Now you play to protect profits. 

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

McGloin played one season for Obrien at Penn State. I'm sure he's a master of the offense. If you're playing your backup, any backup, on less than a week of practice with his new team, you're playing sandlot football. Kaep would still be better at that than McGloin would be with a week of preparation. 

And it's not just about this week. It's about the next 8 weeks. It's about a team that is one game out of first place in a very winnable division. Kaepernick is a far better choice over 8 weeks than either McGloin or Savage. 

But hey, it won't happen. The NFL has decided that already. We are out of the Herm Edwards "you play to win the game" era. Now you play to protect profits. 

No, Kaepernick wouldn't. One year of being in an offense is much better than one week even if you don't understand that. McGloin may not be a master of his offense, but he's far beyond playing sandlot ball.

Eh, they're both backup level QBs this year. Let's stop pretending its 2012/2013. Kaep was good then but got worse every year since. I'd imagine being away from the game for a full offseason plus would only make him worse.

No, Houston is still playing to win and Matt McGloin, for as bad as he is, is still a better option than Kaepernick this year, right now and 8 weeks from now.

Maybe by 2018 Kaepernick can comeback and have a full offseason/offense under his belt. At that point, I would imagine he's a better option than some of these other guys.

2 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

Coaches play to win games, sure.

owners care more about profit and it's likely been that way for awhile. Football is a weird business, success (winning) doesn't really drive profit. Might not be that way forever if ratings continue to drop. 

15 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

No, Kaepernick wouldn't. One year of being in an offense is much better than one week even if you don't understand that. McGloin may not be a master of his offense, but he's far beyond playing sandlot ball.

Eh, they're both backup level QBs this year. Let's stop pretending its 2012/2013. Kaep was good then but got worse every year since. I'd imagine being away from the game for a full offseason plus would only make him worse.

No, Houston is still playing to win and Matt McGloin, for as bad as he is, is still a better option than Kaepernick this year, right now and 8 weeks from now.

Maybe by 2018 Kaepernick can comeback and have a full offseason/offense under his belt. At that point, I would imagine he's a better option than some of these other guys.

McGloin is in no way, shape or form a better option than Kaepernick over the course of the rest of the season. Period. McGloin does not have starter level tools. Kaepernick does. McGloin has never had success In the NFL. Kaepernick has. The Broncos were able to win games with Tim Tebow at the helm. He did not master the offense like Kyle Orton had. They adjusted to his skills because that’s what gave them the best chance to win. Kaepernick was and is a far better QB than Tebow or McGloin were or ever will be. 

This isn’t a football decision. It’s a financial one. 

Edited by wcblack34

10 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

McGloin is in no way, shape or form a better option than Kaepernick over the course of the rest of the season. Period. McGloin does not have starter level tools. Kaepernick does. McGloin has never had success In the NFL. Kaepernick has. The Broncos were able to win games with Tim Tebow at the helm. He did not master the offense like Kyle Orton had. They adjusted to his skills because that’s what gave them the best chance to win. Kaepernick was and is a far better QB than Tebow or McGloin were or ever will be. 

Tebow was in the system and knew the offense. He wasn't a master of the offense (less time spent than what McGloin has with BoB) but that surely helped him.

If Houston signed Kaepernick and played him that week, it would be a disaster, even if the offense didn't change a hair. You're biased though and I don't expect you to understand that, even if history proves you wrong over and over again.

As far as starter level tools, I think most QBs will tell you that physical ability holds very little water over the mental/technical part of the game. As for success, maybe Houston should offer Romo 20M for the rest of the year? I'd take him over Kaepernick in a heartbeat if we're gonna do something ridiculous like sign a QB and start him immediately.

Jimmy Garrapolo is a better QB than CJ Beathard. Where is the outrage to start him?

Better yet, don't answer. Its clear that we aren't going to agree.

12 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Even if it is, that's well in their right to do so. I would argue this is a business for the owners, first and foremost. If teams feel they would lose more money going with a certain guy, why do it? It's very possible team sponsors have talked to these teams about if signing a certain player would cause them to stop sponsoring a team. We saw it with Peterson years ago, so I'm sure the possibility is at least on their minds.

3 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Tebow was in the system and knew the offense. He wasn't a master of the offense (less time spent than what McGloin has with BoB) but that surely helped him.

If Houston signed Kaepernick and played him that week, it would be a disaster, even if the offense didn't change a hair. You're biased though and I don't expect you to understand that, even if history proves you wrong over and over again.

As far as starter level tools, I think most QBs will tell you that physical ability holds very little water over the mental/technical part of the game. As for success, maybe Houston should offer Romo 20M for the rest of the year? I'd take him over Kaepernick in a heartbeat if we're gonna do something ridiculous like sign a QB and start him immediately.

Jimmy Garrapolo is a better QB than CJ Beathard. Where is the outrage to start him?

Better yet, don't answer. Its clear that we aren't going to agree.

Tebow did NOT run the same offense as Kyle Orton. He was incapable of doing so. They adapted the offense to his strengths. 

They have Savage to start this week until Kaep is up to speed. McGloin won't be starting, and he would be an unmitigated disaster if he did. Likely as bad or worse than if Kaepernick had to start. 

I'd take Romo over Kaepernick too, but he's not going anywhere, is he?

The 49ers aren't in the midst of a playoff push. 

But you're right we won't agree. 

49 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

It is probably different from team to team, but if I was an owner it would be a financial decision. Football is a business and I would see signing Kaepernick as a terrible business decision. Of course, the fact that his football skills aren't good enough makes it a lot easier to make that decision. There is significant doubt that Kaepernick would be a better QB than Matt McGloin. Lets not forget that Kaepernick was beat out for a job by Blaine Gabert.

It would be pure foolishness to sign a QB with highly suspect football skills when that is coupled with the huge distraction he would be. To me, it wouldn't even be something that I would seriously consider. Evidence suggests that most NFL owners also are not seriously considering it. There is not much reason to consider it.

Kaepernick has his supporters and that is great for him. Too bad for him, he doesn't have enough supporters amongst the people that matter most for NFL employment.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

It is probably different from team to team, but if I was an owner it would be a financial decision. Football is a business and I would see signing Kaepernick as a terrible business decision. Of course, the fact that his football skills aren't good enough makes it a lot easier to make that decision. There is significant doubt that Kaepernick would be a better QB than Matt McGloin. Lets not forget that Kaepernick was beat out for a job by Blaine Gabert.

It would be pure foolishness to sign a QB with highly suspect football skills when that is coupled with the huge distraction he would be. To me, it wouldn't even be something that I would seriously consider. Evidence suggests that most NFL owners also are not seriously considering it. There is not much reason to consider it.

Kaepernick has his supporters and that is great for him. Too bad for him, he doesn't have enough supporters amongst the people that matter most for NFL employment.

So its a football decision, by the coaches and a financial one by the owners..? Makes sense to me.

I forgot Kaepernick was benched for Gabbert. Geez. Maybe signing Matt McGloin isn't such a bad idea after all! Better yet, TJ Yates was signed and he's the #2.

Give Kaepernick a full offseason with a team and he might be alright. I don't know. By then he may have reached what's likely the end of his physical prime.