2021 UDFA Class

8 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Yep, RG's old runningmate on that Michigan line.  He will probably need to slim down a bit and I still don't know if he has the tools but Pettine liked full gown edge setters on his D.  I have no idea what Barry is aiming for.  Hopefully a good PS guy if he flashes.

I think it is fairly safe to assume that the players Gutes and his staff added are the type Barry is aiming for. No?

Garvin was the main EDGE rusher for Miami until Rousseau came along and unsurped him. For a short time they were considered 1A and 1B I believe, correct me if i'm wrong. Garvin declared a year early rather than fight for his place but that didn't work out and fell to the 7th round. Rousseau instead ended up getting draft in the 1st round. Two wildly differing fortunes. A little decision there and a little decision here can make all the difference.

Garvin was only 20 when he was drafted and is a physically impressive specimen with raw tools. Its still very possible he could end up just as talented as Rousseau at a bargain basement price for us. Here's hoping.

So right now we have 4 EDGE rushers probably locked in. I also thought it was telling we didn't draft an EDGE rusher so we must like our group. Right now the 5th guy is probably Ramsey as he is a solid special teamer.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, R T said:

I think it is fairly safe to assume that the players Gutes and his staff added are the type Barry is aiming for. No?

Sure, but the discussion was sparked talking about an udfa  in Kemp.  He may or may not be Barry's dream edge but a decent flier.  I'm assuming they want to run a lot of what Pet ran but with a different attitude.  The whole defensive coaching staff is back is why I make this assumption and it could fall flat.  Barry will obviously put his fingerprints on it and emphasize what he wants and probably has prototype player he would love to run his version of defense.  At the same time, we really  didn't invest a ton in D this draft so it's hard to tell what he might be looking for.

16 minutes ago, Chili said:

Garvin was the main EDGE rusher for Miami until Rousseau came along and unsurped him. For a short time they were considered 1A and 1B I believe, correct me if i'm wrong. Garvin declared a year early rather than fight for his place but that didn't work out and fell to the 7th round. Rousseau instead ended up getting draft in the 1st round. Two wildly differing fortunes. A little decision there and a little decision here can make all the difference.

Garvin was only 20 when he was drafted and is a physically impressive specimen with raw tools. Its still very possible he could end up just as talented as Rousseau at a bargain basement price for us. Here's hoping.

So right now we have 4 EDGE rushers probably locked in. I also thought it was telling we didn't draft an EDGE rusher so we must like our group. Right now the 5th guy is probably Ramsey as he is a solid special teamer.

I am seeing a lot of the same physical potential you are seeing wrapped up in a very young player with good coachinng and a great position room.  This has me thinking he could make a big step up.

As for his teammates, Rousseau went 30 and Phillips went 18.  It's hard to say if Garvin would have gotten more shine or been drown out by the bigger talents this year  but you'd have to believe he would have gotten enough attention to go higher than the 7th.  Either way, I'm glad we've got him and feel like if he's got anything, this is a great situation to bring it out of him as he matures.

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Sure, but the discussion was sparked talking about an udfa  in Kemp.  He may or may not be Barry's dream edge but a decent flier.  I'm assuming they want to run a lot of what Pet ran but with a different attitude.  The whole defensive coaching staff is back is why I make this assumption and it could fall flat.  Barry will obviously put his fingerprints on it and emphasize what he wants and probably has prototype player he would love to run his version of defense.  At the same time, we really  didn't invest a ton in D this draft so it's hard to tell what he might be looking for.

The Packers drafted 4 defensive players and added 3 others as UDFA's, compared to 5 offensive players drafted and 4 UDFA's, fairly even split considering the 1st round pick was a defensive player. The part of this that amazes me is when fans think that any player added is not a player that is a fit and wanted 100% by the coaching staff. This is not a bunch of guys grabbing a draft magazine, 24 pack and a bag of pork rinds on the way some buddy's garage to have a draft party. Every player that was added has been vetted and approved by all parties involved.     

6 minutes ago, R T said:

The Packers drafted 4 defensive players and added 3 others as UDFA's, compared to 5 offensive players drafted and 4 UDFA's, fairly even split considering the 1st round pick was a defensive player. The part of this that amazes me is when fans think that any player added is not a player that is a fit and wanted 100% by the coaching staff. This is not a bunch of guys grabbing a draft magazine, 24 pack and a bag of pork rinds on the way some buddy's garage to have a draft party. Every player that was added has been vetted and approved by all parties involved.     

Of course, I don't see anyone saying to the contrary.  The CB in the first round is a need and of course was vetted.  Everyone else, too.  But a late round DT and LB, DB who might mostly be there for ST isn't like Barry got his wishlist answered.  What I'm saying is there's not enough information there to glean what might be different about Barry's defense compared to Pet.  It's not like when we grabbed Raji and then Clay  early to run Capers' system.  There is a lot TBD is all I'm saying.

I really liked the group of Jonathan Garvin, Tipa Galeai, and Delonte Scott brought in as edge rushers last season.  Really wanted to see them get after it in the preseason before it was cancelled.  In the extensive research that I have done (watched a couple of highlights on youtube), Kemp looks like a different type of player than last year's group.  He is pretty stout and seems to play the run a lot better than the more finesse guys from last year.  

//I also wonder if he really is going to lose weight and move to edge.  Just watching the highlights, he seems like he could play a little DE as well.  He is about the size of Keke.

Edited by ThatJerkDave
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Uphoff is going to be so good in the STAR role, man. He was born to play it. Basically got a early day 3 guy for nothing but $$$ because he ran a questionable 40 time. 

The more I learn about this guy, the more I like.  Players that do well at the senior bowl always get an extra star in  my book.   With Raven out and Redman a known quantity, he has a real shot at this roster even if it's just ST to begin.  Hope he's one of the hidden gems that got lost in the clouds of this crazy season.

• Like 2

Christian Uphoff has alot of competition for the STAR role. He's up against other safeties, Black, Scott, Gaines and Wilborn.

Uphoff is a little skinny, he will be useful in coverage but not sure how well he will hold up against the run.

Henry Black probably has the stockiest body type and is more of a tackler than a coverage guy.

Vernon Scott is physically and possibly athletically similar to Uphoff.

Innis Gaines is a little shorter and lighter compared to Uphoff but I still expect him to be a candidate for the role.

Ray Wilborn was a linebacker and safety in college. In his last college season he was a safety and comes to the Packers with a linebacker type body. On paper he might be the best candidate for the STAR role.

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, Chili said:

Christian Uphoff has alot of competition for the STAR role. He's up against other safeties, Black, Scott, Gaines and Wilborn.

Uphoff is a little skinny, he will be useful in coverage but not sure how well he will hold up against the run.

Henry Black probably has the stockiest body type and is more of a tackler than a coverage guy.

Vernon Scott is physically and possibly athletically similar to Uphoff.

Innis Gaines is a little shorter and lighter compared to Uphoff but I still expect him to be a candidate for the role.

Ray Wilborn was a linebacker and safety in college. In his last college season he was a safety and comes to the Packers with a linebacker type body. On paper he might be the best candidate for the STAR role.

If Joe Barry puts any of these guys on the field consistently over Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Eric Stokes, Chandon Sullivan, Adrian Amos or Darnell Savage, he should be fired immediately.

Your "star" is going to be one of the 6 players above, because those are our best 6 DBs. I don't care what the role is described as, we're not giving it to some UDFA scrub while one of those guys is on the bench. 

The only one of that group that probably even sees a defensive snap in 2021 is Vernon Scott.

• Like 1

Yeah, they're mostly going to utilize the guys they think are the best football players, and guys who know the system.  Even if some lesser newer UDFA might seem to have a slightly preferable body type.  

Still, last year they had 8 secondary guys with >300 snaps, plus two more (Hollman and Scott) with 108 and 89, and Black with 27 more.  

It's the National Injury League; there are going to end up being a bunch of snaps played by guys other than the big 6.  (Jaire, King, Stokes, Sullivan, Amos, Savage).  It will be interesting to see how those extra snaps get distributed.  

Gray is the same secondary coach as last year, so the default might be to expect that just as his preference was Redmond >> Scott > Black for non-boundary usage last year, that might tend to be the default starting ranking again.  Whether Jackson as a boundary-only guy might compete for inside snaps, time will tell.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If Joe Barry puts any of these guys on the field consistently over Jaire Alexander, Kevin King, Eric Stokes, Chandon Sullivan, Adrian Amos or Darnell Savage, he should be fired immediately.

Your "star" is going to be one of the 6 players above, because those are our best 6 DBs. I don't care what the role is described as, we're not giving it to some UDFA scrub while one of those guys is on the bench. 

The only one of that group that probably even sees a defensive snap in 2021 is Vernon Scott.

FireBarry.com

@Norm

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, this would be an interesting conversation if we had a minor league team though!

On 5/3/2021 at 6:22 AM, Chili said:

Yes, we got demolished by Tampa's DL but even the best OL would struggle against them. Are we over-reacting to that loss by bringing in as many OL as possible?

You must have missed the competition comittiees decision to allow Green Bay to start 7 OL.  /green font

I'm becoming curious with who the Packers are going to add as camp QB(s). Was sure they would sign 1 or 2 as UDFA's but that is yet to happen and the pickings have gotten very slim with Jamie Newman, Shane Buechele, Feleipe Franks, Payton Ramsey and Collin Hill all signing with other teams after the draft. We could see the Packers bring in a couple of guys on a tryout basis just to get through rookie minicamp, but some of those types are getting scooped up also. I see today that KJ Costello has a tryout with the Chargers, Zach Smith with the Bills, Brady White with the Titans and Kevin Thomson with the Panthers. Who is still available that we might see next weekend?

If the Packers do move on from Rodgers, than a veteran like Nick Mullens or even a trade for someone like Gardner Minshew would make some sense, but I don't see a veteran until we have a clear picture of the Rodgers situation.