2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

Needed an extra DL pick, but here is what i have.

WR Pickens, Pierce
TE Otton, McBride
RB Haven't really looked, don't have a preference
OL T.Smith, Rosenthal
IDL Winfree, Hall, T.Jones
Edge C.Thomas, Paschal
ILB T.Walker, Tindall
CB Booth, M.Jones
S Hill, Cine

PS Would have liked to fit LB Chenal in there, too. 

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

If we didn't go premium picks for WR in the 1st, in my mind that is Burks at 22 and Pickens at 28, I'm liking the idea of Tolbert much more now at 53 now. Trey McBride at 59. Bell in the 3rd and Kyle Phillips in the 4th.

Like Pierce a lot too, think though he'll be gone early 2nd. That's why I prefer the trade back from 22.

I think Kyle Phillips is going to be a stud, just not in GB. Guy just knows how to get open.

1 hour ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Needed an extra DL pick, but here is what i have.

WR Pickens, Pierce
TE Otton, McBride
RB Haven't really looked, don't have a preference
OL T.Smith, Rosenthal
IDL Winfree, Hall, Jones
Edge Thomas, Paschal
ILB Walker, Tindall
CB Booth, M.Jones
S Hill, Cine

I like Otton.  Last year was so-so, I think he was banged up a little,  but the year before he looked great.   Nice player if they can swing it in the mid-rounds. 

4 hours ago, Chili said:

Does anyone have the Packers athletic measurement thresholds for cornerbacks on hand?

Edit: Just looking at the Packers cornerback drafting history under TT. It was shockingly bad. He had FA and undrafted gems to bail him out of trouble.

I did the work so you all don't have to!

TT had an extremely specific type for corner yet some of his best corners fell outside those paramenters - Al Harris, Woodson, Williams and Shields, coincidentally all FA/Undrafted. His inflexibility probably hurt him when it came to drafting corners and missed out on some good ones. He tried to adjust unsuccessfully by going slower at corner - Hyde, Goodson, Rollins all ran in that rough 4.55 range. He then went off the reservation and broke his own thresholds by drafting King (sometimes I wonder if it was Gute that chose him because that's totally Gute's M.O.)

Gute shows some of the same traits but he's more willing to go outside the box like going slightly shorter in return for more speed. Alexander, Hollman and Stokes all ran a sub 4.4. Interestingly Gute broke his own rules by drafting Jean-Charles. He's one of the smallest, lightest and least athletic out of all the corners TT and Gute drafted combined.

Now for the sake of this exercise I've put together a likely Packers corner threshold adjusted for Gute's lust for speed. I've thrown out King and Jean Charles data as they are extreme outliers.

Height: >5'10" but < 6'1"
Weight: >190lbs but < 200lbs
Arm Length: > 30.25
Forty: < 4.50s (if I went under 4.4 there would be just two guys on the list)
Bench: > 11 reps
Vert: > 35"
Broad: > 119 inches (9ft 11")
3Cone: < 7s
Shuttle: < 4.25

This has thrown up this list of players with a 6.00 draft grade or higher:

Derek Stingley Jr.
Andrew Booth
Cam Taylor-Britt (4.38)
Damarri Mathis (4.39)
Josh Thompson (Draft grade 5.78 but is a Packers Top 30 visit - ran 4.4 bang on)

If I increase the height to 6'3" I will get:

Ahmad Gardner (4.41)
Zyon McCollum (4.33)

What if I applied those measurements to safeties because sometimes they can be converted to corner:

Dax Hill (4.38)
Jalen Pitre
Jaquan Brisker (He was brought in for a Top 30 visit)
Lewis Cine (6'2" and 4.37)
JT Woods (6'2" and 4.36)
Delarrin Turner-Yell

It's just 13 players, 10 if you remove guys over 6'2". It's a very shallow pool of players for us to target. I think some of them will go early in the first round so the pool will reduce quite a bit by the time it's our turn to pick. It makes me feel if we want one of those players we will need to select them within the first two rounds would this observation be correct?

Edited by Chili

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Sam Williams and Goedeke are not on the list and were reported to be planning a predraft visit.
https://packerswire.usatoday.com/2022/03/28/packers-to-host-official-pre-draft-visit-with-ole-miss-edge-rusher-sam-williams/?taid=6241d70e6d68c2000163c802&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=twitter

https://www.si.com/nfl/packers/news/central-michigan-ol-luke-goedeke-will-have-predraft-visit-with-packers?s=09

This should complete the Top 30 visits.

However Ja'Tyre Carter was supposed to visit according to this tweet from a titans based media guy of sorts. I'm more inclined to believe SI and USATODAY over him. Maybe he did a virtual visit, who knows.

https://twitter.com/JustinM_NFL/status/1514307550363242496?t=DKC1l0zDZJ2HqUGfhGpgwA&s=09

I don't think the odds are real high that Jordan Love will get traded, but say the Packers get a second round pick for him ... Would they take another QB to groom behind Aaron somewhere in those first couple rounds?  Who would be a good fit?  I haven't looked into the QB group at all. 

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't think the odds are real high that Jordan Love will get traded, but say the Packers get a second round pick for him ... Would they take another QB to groom behind Aaron somewhere in those first couple rounds?  Who would be a good fit?  I haven't looked into the QB group at all. 

Yah just for kicks went on the Giants forum to see about Toney.  Anyway one guy suggested a 4th would get it done (trade for Love).  Other said he wouldn't even waste a pick on him.  Found that rather humorous.  Pack won't trade him unless someone offers up at least a 2 even then they might still pass.  Haven't studied the QB's either but if Love does get traded maybe there is a developmental prospect they like.  Think Benkert would be fine in a back up role but we would still need one more. 

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

No idea where any of these guys will go, but Matt Corral is a guy who could benefit from sitting for a few years, given that he hasn't run anything close to an NFL offense. He's already 23 though.

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I like Otton.  Last year was so-so, I think he was banged up a little,  but the year before he looked great.   Nice player if they can swing it in the mid-rounds. 

I really like Otton as well. Not elite in any one area but does everything well. Very smooth player. He would be a great mid round pick and potential heir at TE.

2 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

No idea where any of these guys will go, but Matt Corral is a guy who could benefit from sitting for a few years, given that he hasn't run anything close to an NFL offense. He's already 23 though.

Gotta run it by BK. He's the QB Whisperer.