2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

19 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I wonder how true this is. If you look at the top RAS scores, most of the first round prospects are high RAS scorers. I would think RAS would be a much better indicator in later round picks if it's your "type"

I'm sure it's a factor they consider.

7 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I wonder how true this is. If you look at the top RAS scores, most of the first round prospects are high RAS scorers. I would think RAS would be a much better indicator in later round picks if it's your "type"

Gute really does.  Follow the link:  https://ras.football/2020/12/31/green-bay-packers-ras-history/

You can change the filtered years from 2018 to 2021 and see for yourself.  He has made 37 picks.  14 of those picks have a RAS of 9.0 or above.  11 have a score between 8.0 and 9.0.  Vernon Scott, Josh Myers, Simon Stepaniak, and Kamal Martin did not have workout information available to calculate a RAS.  Knowing what we know about these guys, they probably also would have scored pretty well.

4 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Gute really does.  Follow the link:  https://ras.football/2020/12/31/green-bay-packers-ras-history/

You can change the filtered years from 2018 to 2021 and see for yourself.  He has made 37 picks.  14 of those picks have a RAS of 9.0 or above.  11 have a score between 8.0 and 9.0.  Vernon Scott, Josh Myers, Simon Stepaniak, and Kamal Martin did not have workout information available to calculate a RAS.  Knowing what we know about these guys, they probably also would have scored pretty well.

I dont know if Gute is looking at RAS specifically... You can see elite athleticism. Its not like he doesnt pick "technicians" too but its easier to bring an elite athlete in and believe in your coaching staff vs bringing in a close to finished product and hoping hes got enough juice. Im sure hes got a numbers guy putting charts in front of him too for some help.

Is there a GM who isnt picking high RAS athletes? 

Its a freaks league everybodys looking for athletes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

We'd have to know the average RAS distribution for all picks in each round to see if Gute picks above that average, at or below.

• Like 1

Ok, I will do just the Vikings, because that is what came up next.

https://ras.football/2020/12/31/minnesota-vikings-ras-history/

They have had 46 picks since 2018.  8 have had 9.0 or better.  11 have had between 9.0 and 8.0. 7 didn't have workout numbers available.  

Packers for comparison:

10 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

In the same time frame, Gute has had 9 fewer picks but picked 6 more 9.0+ players and the same number of 9-8.0 players.  I am not saying that this is an end-all-be-all metric, or that Gute uses this specific calculation. But does this not illustrate a tendency? 

• Like 2

On 2/24/2022 at 3:53 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Ok, I will do just the Vikings, because that is what came up next.

https://ras.football/2020/12/31/minnesota-vikings-ras-history/

They have had 46 picks since 2018.  8 have had 9.0 or better.  11 have had between 9.0 and 8.0. 7 didn't have workout numbers available.  

Packers for comparison:

In the same time frame, Gute has had 9 fewer picks but picked 6 more 9.0+ players and the same number of 9-8.0 players.  I am not saying that this is an end-all-be-all metric, or that Gute uses this specific calculation. But does this not illustrate a tendency? 

When I looked at RAS scores a year or more back, you could look up a list of the teams that had the combined highest RAS scores of all that team's picks. Green Bay ranked 1 and 2 in the years I looked at. Some (like Donnerson) never worked out despite very high RAS scores, but then if there was a guaranteed way of only picking good players, every team would be using it.

6 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

When I looked at RAS scores a year or more back, you could look up a list of the teams that had the combined highest RAS scores of all that team's picks. Green Bay ranked 1 and 2 in the years I looked at. Some (like Donnerson) never worked out despite very high RAS scores, but then if there was a guaranteed way of only picking good players, every team would be using it.

Definitely not a guarantee of greatness, or really even goodness.  Top 10 in Packers history are:  Javon Walker, Tony Mandarich, Chris Darkins, Rashan Gary, Kevin King, Joey Thomas, Jeff Janis, Antuan Edwards, Brett Hundley, and Kendall Donnerson.  What I was saying is that Gute has a tendency to pick the guys that score higher in RAS than his counterparts.  It is a way to predict players that Gute may target. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like we're going to have a lot more clarity about their draft priorities when we find out who they have to cut to get under the cap and who they manage to retain.

Like Z is almost certainly gone, but if somehow he's not then Edge is less of a priority.  MVS is apparently going to get PAID elsewhere, and if he is WR is more of a priority.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

9 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I feel like we're going to have a lot more clarity about their draft priorities when we find out who they have to cut to get under the cap and who they manage to retain.

Like Z is almost certainly gone, but if somehow he's not then Edge is less of a priority.  MVS is apparently going to get PAID elsewhere, and if he is WR is more of a priority.

From the reports is sounds like they want to keep Campbell and Preston… letting Douglas, MVS and Z walk.

And Packers are reportly interest in McCould and Fuller at WR… Cobb is likely back and I would hope amari develops… so WR shouldn’t be a pressing need.

Outside of Alexander and Stokes CB is light and Savage isn’t impressing as much as you’d like. That’s why I think Hill is a dark horse for GB, if there. I could see Burk and Olave on the board… then GB takes a S. But I see him more as a “star” position and if that’s such a big role in the defense, then that would be a premiere position.

Ben Fennell -   2022 Draft - it's time for LaFleur to find his Y-TE (Lewis) of the future

It's a key, selfless role in the offense… And they better love blocking DEs!

Jeremy Ruckert & Cade Otton my favorites

“Can he be a RZ weapon? Speed? Hands?" who cares, that ain't the job description!

17 minutes ago, Leader said:

Ben Fennell -   2022 Draft - it's time for LaFleur to find his Y-TE (Lewis) of the future

“Can he be a RZ weapon? Speed? Hands?" who cares, that ain't the job description!

Lewis isn't a Y TE, he's like an extra OT. His career would be over by now if he wasn't such a superb blocker. A young kid who's not going to be on that level absolutely will need to provide something in the passing game.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Leader said:

I foresee Ruckert in the 3rd. This team loves drafting TEs in the 3rd for whatever reason.

50 minutes ago, Green19 said:

I foresee Ruckert in the 3rd. This team loves drafting TEs in the 3rd for whatever reason.

Last 10 years: 3 TE, 2 WR, 2 DL, 1 OLB, 1 ILB

Sadly, Richard Rodgers is (so far) the most successful player out of those.

• Like 1

I think Ruckert is vastly underrated as a pass catcher. Kid is a SMART route runner and deceptively smooth doing it. Knows how to create space and use his body. Think he'd be a great pick for the future inline TE role. I hope we grab him and one of the more athletic types, either with a late pick or as a UDFA.

It'll be interesting to see what they do early this year. I get wanting one of the WRs (Burks, Olave, Pickens) but I think they're going to take advantage of the defensive talent early. Daxton Hill, Devonte Wyatt, Devin Lloyd, Nakobe Dean, Jaquan Brisker, David Ojabo, Lewis Cine, Kaiir Elam, DeMarvin Leal, Perrion Winfrey, etc.

Think we'll see some combination of EDGE, IDL, DB with our first two picks and then the pass catchers/skill guys come on late day 2, early day 3. OL comes early-to-mid day 3 and then the athletic ball of clay types come in rounds 5-7 and UDFA.