2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

5 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Yeah but you don't skip on a player with rare receiving skills to get a guy who can already block. Gotta trust the coaches to teach a 6 foot 190 pound wr to block a 5'10 180lb DB. 

Draft for the unteachable stuff early.

I agree to a point. I think there are some excellent WR in the draft with blocking capability to complement their other receiving skills. And I suspect those guys will be graded higher for us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I agree to a point. I think there are some excellent WR in the draft with blocking capability to complement their other receiving skills. And I suspect those guys will be graded higher for us.

This is very true and our FO might value that more than others.....but (to regurgitate the Davante conversation) - #17 didnt get to be the highest paid WR because of his blocking skills. He didnt become our #1 offensive producer because of his blocking skills.

Lazard (and another big guy: EQ) they took on more of a TE profile in that they'd come down to block / cut off LB's and the odd DL - I'd wager Davante did little to none of that - for good reason. To expose such an offensive producer to injury just to secure a couple more yards on a running play......

Somebody mentioned his blocking on bubble screens. Okay - fine - I'm sure he did some - but he was facing up CBs - and he wasnt drive blocking them into the sideline. Plus - how many bubble screens we run a game? Davante didnt get where he got to (bringing our offense along....) because of his blocking on bubble screens.

Do I know who GB will draft? Nope and there's good reason to think they'll prefer the bigger guy over the smaller one - but again - if we're looking to replace Davante (as much as possible) we shouldnt pass on a true receiving talent because his blocking skills might not be bone crushing. If we go WR in the first round - we're projecting the next five years with the guy. The determining value shouldnt be his blocking skills.

• Like 1

Pickens moves like a young Davante and he's got hand of glue.

CHTV - The Packers have drafted 13 receivers in the last 10 drafts, and only two of them have been shorter than 6’1: Ty Montgomery and Amari Rodgers. Green Bay has a type when it comes to receivers, and Pickens fits the mold.

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Pickens moves like a young Davante and he's got hand of glue.

CHTV - The Packers have drafted 13 receivers in the last 10 drafts, and only two of them have been shorter than 6’1: Ty Montgomery and Amari Rodgers. Green Bay has a type when it comes to receivers, and Pickens fits the mold.

I'd be happy with Pickens as he definitely looks the part .. he's got bloodlines too.  His dad, Carl, was a top flight receiver back in the day.

**I need to add a little disclaimer .. some reports say Carl is his pops .. other reports say that is not true.  Who to believe?

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

I can't wait for us to take Drake at 22.  Olave at 28.  Then turn around and take Austin III in the second.

Get our big body WR who can block.  Our silky smooth route runner with speed and our gadget guy all in one draft.

Heck, let's just trade back into the first round again, so we can take the 3 WR's in the first, like @Outpost31 said, just so we can watch it all burn!  WEAPONZ!

And...if we do that, at least there will be some names that might make it onto the first round picks that have caught TD's from Aaron Rodgers list.

Under Pettine he prefered EDGE players to be tall, long and heavy.

Under Capers he preferred them to be quick and athletic

I wonder what Barry wants? Inject more speed or maintain our physicality.

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

Perri Goldstein -  Packers are going to take 2 top defensive players in round 1 and take a receiver in round 2 and people are going to go berzerk.

:)

It’s not far-fetched.

NFL teams know exactly which kind of WR LaFleur and Gute want, so we will probably be leapfrogged again.

We would have to trade up to get a WR, but I expect us to get a veteran to minimize the need.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We would have to trade up to get a WR, but I expect us to get a veteran to minimize the need.

No. This will be the year that GB finally attacks the WR position and drafts that play maker - that difference maker - that holy **** look at that! player - in round 1 - and - we will all cheer him as he makes plays and leads us to victories!

Okay....some here will pick him apart and insure we see every flaw - but overall most will root our rookie to success!

To victory!

:)

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s not far-fetched.

NFL teams know exactly which kind of WR LaFleur and Gute want, so we will probably be leapfrogged again.

I agree with a lot of what you're saying here - the right defensive player in these spots will still be the best value.

I just think it has a lot more to do with positional depth in this draft than anything else. We can get a solid WR in the late second. We can take another in the third. Edge, O-line and DL will be dried up by then. 

I think that the old model for our WRs can be thrown out the window a bit. There's not enough recent history for us to have a confirmed type at the position. The only WR we've taken in the last three drafts also happens to be the one who fits our usual standards the least.