2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, because you're watching highlights.

Of course he looks good.

He's got the worst hands of anyone that will go top 3 rounds, he's got the most limited route tree too. 

You're drafting an athlete and hoping to make a football player out of him. I'd do it, but not until rd 2.

I completely disagree with your takes on WRs. London, provided he runs the 40 I expect him to run, is #1 for me. Watson doesn't have bad hands. That was MVS coming out. Not a strength, but around average. Plus, he has shown some ball skills in his tape. If you want to see bad hands, watch Danny Gray and Romeo Doubs. Watch Senior Bowl 1 on 1s. Watson has unnatural flexibility out of his breaks for a tall WR. I also think he's an ideal fit for what the Packers need. Kick return, jet motion, deep speed guy. He fills all those roles for the Packers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MaximusGluteus said:

Thank you.  He's not a round 1 receiver, he's a workout warrior and a project.

The Packers need volume guys.  I like Watson but he's a 3 or 4 target field stretcher guy like MVS was.  You need guys you can count to get open.  I really the Alec Pierce kid from Cincinnati.  He's a chain mover, big kid, who can handle volume.   Somewhere in rd 2, I'd seriously look at him if he's there.

The Packers currently got nothing in the Redzone.  Pierce can handle that.  

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, because you're watching highlights.

Of course he looks good.

He's got the worst hands of anyone that will go top 3 rounds, he's got the most limited route tree too. 

You're drafting an athlete and hoping to make a football player out of him. I'd do it, but not until rd 2.

I'm not sure I agree with your sentiment about his hands.  I don't see any issues with his hands.  He's a natural hands catcher.  You're effectively gambling on the athletic traits, and hoping you can develop him into a top WR.  I don't hate the kid by any means, but I'd need my Tier 1 receivers off the board to take him.

I'm a bit less high than some others on the board about Watson. I think he's a bit more raw than some of the others and at 22 he doesn't have quite the age advantage over the others like London does where you can project even more growth.

My tiers are based on our picks:

Would take at 22:

Olave, London, Wilson

Would take at 28 or early Rd 2:

Williams, Dotson, Burks, Pickens

Would take at 53/59:

Pierce, Moore, Tolbert, Melchie, Watson, Shakir

Would take in Rd 3:

Bell, Ross, Wandale

I've finally watched Alec Pierce tape. Whoever gave him the Jordy comparison is so lazy, he is nothing like him.

First of all Jordy is a natural runner, you can see his track background on the field. Because of that track background he also has excellent hips giving him rare wiggle for a WR his size. Jordy was able to run and move around like a smaller receiver. on top of that he has broad shoulders, long arms and excellent hands making him a very well rounded wide receiver prospect.

Alec Pierce doesn't run well after his catches because he doesn't have enough agility to extend the play. He has narrower shoulders but he doesn't let that stop him from jumping up and plucking the ball out of the air. He has enough speed with his long strides to run past corners.

He is a good player but he is limited. He's a day 3 prospect.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

The Packers need volume guys.  I like Watson but he's a 3 or 4 target field stretcher guy like MVS was.  You need guys you can count to get open.  I really the Alec Pierce kid from Cincinnati.  He's a chain mover, big kid, who can handle volume.   Somewhere in rd 2, I'd seriously look at him if he's there.

The Packers currently got nothing in the Redzone.  Pierce can handle that.  

I think Watson offers a lot more than Pierce.   Better athlete, more versatile, could become an Alpha.  Watch the game against Northern Iowa.  Not sure why you see hi, as an MVS?   He adjusts to the ball, shows flexibility, and running skills.   The best player on the field was Watson, not Penning.

Played at a lower level, so may take a little longer to get to his top level.   

Don't dislike Pierce, but I don't think he is the athlete overall that Watson is.   Shows up in RAC.

2 hours ago, Chili said:

I've finally watched Alec Pierce tape. Whoever gave him the Jordy comparison is so lazy, he is nothing like him.

First of all Jordy is a natural runner, you can see his track background on the field. Because of that track background he also has excellent hips giving him rare wiggle for a WR his size. Jordy was able to run and move around like a smaller receiver. on top of that he has broad shoulders, long arms and excellent hands making him a very well rounded wide receiver prospect.

Alec Pierce doesn't run well after his catches because he doesn't have enough agility to extend the play. He has narrower shoulders but he doesn't let that stop him from jumping up and plucking the ball out of the air. He has enough speed with his long strides to run past corners.

He is a good player but he is limited. He's a day 3 prospect.

So he's like Old Jordy when he'd catch the ball and just instantly fall to the turf?

53 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

I think Watson offers a lot more than Pierce.   Better athlete, more versatile, could become an Alpha.  Watch the game against Northern Iowa.  Not sure why you see hi, as an MVS?   He adjusts to the ball, shows flexibility, and running skills.   The best player on the field was Watson, not Penning.

Don't dislike Pierce, but I don't think he is the athlete overall that Watson is.   Shows up in RAC.

Pierce shows up in contested catches.   It's Watsons weak point.  Watson can run right by guys at his lower level competition, that's not going to happen in the NFL.  Even with the lower level competition, Watsons numbers didn't stand out.  He had 14 tds in 4 years, that's 3.5 tds per year and part of that was with Trey Lance as the QB.  I know they run a lot and the defenses against NDSU know that and try to stop it, just think Watsons numbers are very underwhelming.    

Watson may be a better athlete by a hair, I think Pierce is a better football player.  We'll have to see how it plays out.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, moretti19 said:

I know it’s not going to be desired but would anyone consider Lloyd Utah MLB at 22?

Really starting to warm up to Wandale Robinson as well.

Every year it seems some want to develop player crushes that the Packers absolutely will not draft.

We'll call this the 2022 exhibit A. 

15 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Is that also what they were saying about DJ Metcalf? I know his route running was a concern. 

Seems like I remember there were also some medical red flags on Metcalf.  His knee(s) maybe?  I could be remembering that wrong.  I haven't bothered to go back and check.

11 hours ago, TheEagle said:

I completely disagree with your takes on WRs. London, provided he runs the 40 I expect him to run, is #1 for me. Watson doesn't have bad hands. That was MVS coming out. Not a strength, but around average. Plus, he has shown some ball skills in his tape. If you want to see bad hands, watch Danny Gray and Romeo Doubs. Watch Senior Bowl 1 on 1s. Watson has unnatural flexibility out of his breaks for a tall WR. I also think he's an ideal fit for what the Packers need. Kick return, jet motion, deep speed guy. He fills all those roles for the Packers.

Watson has 105 catches, and 16 drops, yeah his hands and coordination are not a plus. He doesnt track the ball well. He's not a guy who's going to come in and contribute year 1.

2 hours ago, hitnhope said:

FNA6mz-WYAgjQi6?format=png&name=900x900

Are you really trying to downplay Pierce as an athlete??? 

Watson didn't do agility, probably because it's not a strength of his. 

Pierce and Watson are completely comparable.