2022 NFL Draft Thread

Nick_gb

8 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Thoughts on Jordan Davis in our scheme? A man his size with his movement skills is insane. Would love to see what he could do next to Clark. Conditioning is the concern, but we'd have a fine rotation behind him.

My primary thought on Davis is that big men who come into the league with significant conditioning issues (which he has) are likely to always have significant conditioning issues. 

53 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Don't be dramatic.  Nobody is really suggesting that.

No one is suggesting drafting him at 28?? I think at least a few people have. Moreover, some in the media are as well. I have no issue with the Packers picking Watson in round 2 or 3 but I  just don't see the guy helping much this season. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Top 10 please! Get them off the board. Love to see London and Burks go early as well. Hoping for an EDGE rusher and either a DT or OT in round 1 to fall to our picks. We'll get a good WR in round 2. 

If London, Burks and both OSU guys are off the board, we're not getting a good WR in rd 2. This happened in 2020 with the super strong WR class, who did we end up with?

9 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

No one is suggesting drafting him at 28?? I think at least a few people have. Moreover, some in the media are as well. I have no issue with the Packers picking Watson in round 2 or 3 but I  just don't see the guy helping much this season. 

He could definitely be an asset with special teams.  Guess he returns kicks.  We could also use him as a vertical threat.  Nah he has some utility.  No problem taking him later on either. Just not in Round 1. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:
2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Top 10 please! Get them off the board. Love to see London and Burks go early as well. Hoping for an EDGE rusher and either a DT or OT in round 1 to fall to our picks. We'll get a good WR in round 2. 

If London, Burks and both OSU guys are off the board, we're not getting a good WR in rd 2. This happened in 2020 with the super strong WR class, who did we end up with?

I thought exactly the same thing when I read that post.  GB has been playing the waiting game at WR in the draft for two years running, and it's resulted in zero meaningful additions at the position.  I'm not seeing any reason to expect that strategy to work any better this year when several other teams are also looking to restock the position.  If GB doesn't place as high a value on WR as other teams, that's fine, but the "we'll get a good WR in round 2" philosophy is exactly what put GB in the position they are in today.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Different circumstances this year.  WR room is pretty barren.  If all the top guys are gone which I think is likely Pack will manipulate the board to snag some tier 2 guys.  A lot of them have been mentioned  Metchie, Pierce, Pickens etc...In this case Gute will probably take multiple bites at the apple.  

46 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

As always, I am far from an expert.  But what I am looking at is a group of guys that will probably be pretty good if given the targets, and some will be available for our second round pick, or a possible move up in the second round.  I look at guys like George Pickens, Christian Watson, Skyy Moore, Alec Pierce, Jahan Dotson and, pick your flavor, should be available.  Why take Chris Olave in the first, when I can get a quality OL and DL and still get Skyy Moore with a second round pick?

I think Olave is gonna be a really good WR but I also think he's going to be long gone before we pick at 22.  There are def some talented WRs to choose from (I'd love Pickens on this team) but there were conversations like this about Justin Jefferson in 2020.  Ppl said there are WRs like Jalen Reagor, Brandon Aiyuk, Laviska Shenault, KJ Hamler, Michael Pittman Jr. etc would be available.  But JJ was gone before us as well and we just have to see how the board falls.

1 minute ago, Scoremore said:

Different circumstances this year.  WR room is pretty barren.  If all the top guys are gone which I think is likely Pack will manipulate the board to snag some tier 2 guys.  A lot of them have been mentioned  Metchie, Pierce, Pickens etc...In this case Gute will probably take multiple bites at the apple.  

If the top 5 guys are gone by pick 22, these guys will be over drafted and not make it to 53. This exact same thing happened in 2020, they are not different circumstances. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

I thought exactly the same thing when I read that post.  GB has been playing the waiting game at WR in the draft for two years running, and it's resulted in zero meaningful additions at the position.  I'm not seeing any reason to expect that strategy to work any better this year when several other teams are also looking to restock the position.  If GB doesn't place as high a value on WR as other teams, that's fine, but the "we'll get a good WR in round 2" philosophy is exactly what put GB in the position they are in today.

I think they'll wind up trading up for a wideout with one of the firsts and one of the seconds.  Trading 28 & 59, could get us to pick #17 and maybe also net us a 5th or 5th rounder.

Dealing #22 and #53 could get us to #13. 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

If the top 5 guys are gone by pick 22, these guys will be over drafted and not make it to 53. This exact same thing happened in 2020, they are not different circumstances. 

Agree that's why I think the Packers will have to manipulate the board.  Trade out of #28 trade up from #53.  No way Gute isn't going walk away without getting help.  Doesn't have that luxury this year. 

6 hours ago, Chili said:

Christian Watson ticks all of LaFleur's and Gute's boxes but is he going to be available at that point in the draft. I don't know. Personally I feel he will be taken very early based on his overall potential but lots of people also feel he's only a 2nd round pick at best (I have no idea why).

Watson to me is Corey Davis.  My concern is his contested catches.  Against his current competition at NDSU he was able to outrun people catching ball with nobody near him.   That's not going to happen as much in the NFL.  Can he consistently catch balls in traffic???  Can he get open on short quick routes? 

Watson can be a weapon, but if he can't do the short stuff, you have a unbalanced attack where one WR gets all the targets (sound familiar?)   I think we need balance, and I think it was one of the reasons we let MVS go.  Try to find complete WRs on both sides who you can go to in any situation.  

Not top heavy, but this is a deep WR draft.  We'll take 2 likely, maybe 3.  Not necessary in Round 1 if the value isn't there.

2 guys at different positions I really like had their pro day.  Like them even more now..from PFN

"Trey McBride ran times as fast as 4.51 seconds in the 40-yard dash. His “official” APT time came in at 4.56. Cincinnati worked McBride through position drills, and he looked terrific. The team spent an extensive amount of time with McBride before the pro day. The senior, who’s expected to be selected on Day 2, has official 30 visits scheduled with the Titans and Jaguars.

Pass rusher Scott Patchan, a transfer from Miami, also had a fine pro day. Patchan measured a shade under 6’4 1/2″ and weighed 251 pounds. He completed 29 reps on the bench, touched 32.5″ in the vertical jump, and 9’11” in the broad. Patchan then timed as fast as 4.68 in the 40 despite tightness in his hamstring. An under-the-radar pass rusher who will get late-round consideration, Patchan posted 10.5 sacks and 19.5 TFLs last season."

35 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Edited by Scoremore

2 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

https://ras.football/

First round of 2021:

• 13 players with 9.50+ RAS
  • 5 players with 9.00 to 9.49
  • 2 players with 8.50 to 8.99
  • 1 player with 8.00 to 8.49
  • 2 players below 8.00
  • 9 unranked players

Doesn't really seem out of the ordinary to get athletic guys in the first round.

Right.....so when looking at possible first round picks, we can assume that RAS is used in some regard.  GB certainly does under Gute.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

If it’s based on both than I don’t see how they aren’t even close (which is what the statement was that I reacted to). You then say it’s base on what Olave “has been”. 

I’m not saying people boards shouldn’t have Olave ahead of Pierce, I honestly get why it’s the case. I’m trying to think like how the packers are viewing this. And based around that notion I think Pierce is closer than anyone seemingly wants to admit… which is my point. And why I said earlier I wouldn’t be surprise if they draft a WR at 28 but watch it still piss people off because it’s not their guy. And I highlight Pierce. I see a world where GB values Pierce over Olave based on numerous factors.

I feel I could argue pretty easily that Olave is better now, and in the future.  I see Alec Pierce, and I see a similar skillset to MVS.  I like Pierce, but I'm not drafting him Day 1.

1 hour ago, Green19 said:

Literally earlier in the thread we had a poster claim every scout in the nfl has Olave and Wilson ahead of Pierce and Watson. I quickly pointed out Chris Simms, and ex player (qb) and someone with obvious ties to New England and SF has Watson and Pierce as 2 and 3 on his WR board… with the Ohio state guys not even in his top 5.

Everyone should give it a listen easily found on YouTube… you can hear arguments on how scouts and evaluators could have a different opinion than the standard nfl draft website.

And that's the beauty of evaluating players.  You give the exact same tape to 10 different scouts, you're probably going to have 10 different evaluations.  Does it mean that some are right and some are wrong?  No, it just comes down to what you're evaluating.