Big Second Year

onejayhawk

Strictly talking about the not well known guys, the two players I would name as possible breakout players and feel they have the skills to make it happen and will have a big opportunity to truly break out, my answer would be Bryan Edwards and/or Amik Robertson, the former is a second year WR out of South Carolina selected in the third round and the latter is a 2nd year, 4th round selection that played CB at Louisiana Tech. 

Edwards wasn't a total unkown, he had a decent amount of people in the draft community as a whole that really liked him as a prospect and believed he had upside to be a very good pro. During his rookie season he was projected to be a starter after starting off with a lot of rave reviews during training camp. Unfortunately he suffered a foot injury early on and was forced to miss a lot of time between weeks 2 or 3 until like week 9 or 10. And then once he was healthy he didn't see a ton of playing time because Aghalor was playing well and Ruggs was the higher draft pick, and due to rust and everything else. He finally saw significant action in week 17 and he came up with a pretty solid game with 2 catches for 51 yards and a late TD to help beat the Broncos. 

We added John Brown in the off season but lost Agahlor. Still the WR core isn't stacked or especially deep with proven talent, and Brown is also not being paid much and isn't signed long term. Edwards will get every opportunity to earn one of the starting spots and heavy playing time. Unfortunately injuries were a big part of his college career and followed him his rookie season, he will have to prove he can stay healthy. If he can he will get a lot of playing time and opportunities and he has a skill set that Derek Carr has shown a lot of chemistry with in the past. A close to 1000 season and 5-8 TDs isn't totally out of the question. 

Robertson I am less confident on because it's just a tougher projection. He was fantastic at Louisiana Tech, but he is a CB that lacks great height (5'9") and length, and was seen as a guy that would be drafted and play the slot in the NFL. However he playing on the outside in college. He faces a steeper step up in competition from college and didn't look good in the slot when he was on the field as a rookie. However some patience is in order due to the competition and the transition being among the hardest for corners in all the NFL period, but especially guys that try and transition from the boundary to the slot as rookies. I loved what I did see in college, and I think with more time he could become one of the better slot corners in the NFL. And he will have plenty of opportunities to get on the field because the CB room as a whole is nothing but questions really, with a lot of youth and a couple of low upside vets. Robertson certainly has a chance to break out and lock down the slot (or even outside if he plays at a high enough level). It's not something people should expect, it's a longer shot. But it is possible. 

For my Ravens I think the obvious answer would be JK Dobbins who according to PFF is the 26th best rb going into next year despite leading all  rbs in ypc.. bruh their logic is so trash too... they got three rookies and 4 backups ahead of him too.. laughable to me... But I’m gonna choose Justin madubuike.. He really started to come on toward the end of the year and with a full offseason I think a lot of last years rookies are gonna really shine.. especially ones with continuity in their coaching staffs... 

28 minutes ago, bmorecareful said:

For my Ravens I think the obvious answer would be JK Dobbins who according to PFF is the 26th best rb going into next year despite leading all  rbs in ypc.. bruh their logic is so trash too... they got three rookies and 4 backups ahead of him too.. laughable to me... But I’m gonna choose Justin madubuike.. He really started to come on toward the end of the year and with a full offseason I think a lot of last years rookies are gonna really shine.. especially ones with continuity in their coaching staffs... 

I couldn't believe that ranking when I saw it. Anyone with two eyes can see how talented of a back that he is! That's the type of ranking I expect to see from a local beat writer who doesn't study the game outside of the team he covers. I definitely wasn't expected that from PFF who claims to watch more tape then anyone, the only thing I can figure is that there are dinging him for his lack of involvement in the passing game.

For my Browns, I am going with LB Jacob Phillips and LT Jedrick Wills.

Wills had a solid year as a rookie, better than expected - but this is the year I think things become automatic for him.

Phillips flashed a lot of what DC Joe Woods was looking for, but was hurt most of his rookie year. I expect a big contribution from Jacob.

My wild card choice? WR Donovan Peoples-Jones.

3 hours ago, Letsch80 said:

I couldn't believe that ranking when I saw it. Anyone with two eyes can see how talented of a back that he is! That's the type of ranking I expect to see from a local beat writer who doesn't study the game outside of the team he covers. I definitely wasn't expected that from PFF who claims to watch more tape then anyone, the only thing I can figure is that there are dinging him for his lack of involvement in the passing game.

Yeah but 26th... that’s essentially saying he is a bottom 6 caliber starting running back... lol... really...  

• Like 1

For the Titans, I’m thinking Isaiah Wilson will have a huge second year: multiple kidnapping arrests, probably a string of conspiracy theory tweets, the sky’s the limit!

In all seriousness, Kristian Fulton will be potentially starting in a lineup that including Janoris Jenkins and Caleb Farley. I know a lot of people were hyped on him as a first round CB (more than me, at least) and he flashed some good play before he got injured the rest of the season.

• Like 2

Justin Madubuike has the potential to be an impact IDL for the Ravens next year. He looked great down the stretch last year and I expect him to get a lot more work this year.

Here he is schooling Wyatt Teller and Conklin...he played like this pretty much the last 5-6 weeks of the season

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

Justin Madubuike has the potential to be an impact IDL for the Ravens next year. He looked great down the stretch last year and I expect him to get a lot more work this year.

Here he is schooling Wyatt Teller and Conklin...he played like this pretty much the last 5-6 weeks of the season

And didn't even make the play 

The obvious answer for the Dolphins is Tua. His biggest issue last year imo was processing too fast because he didn't trust a bad OL. I think the game slows down for him this year.

I expect big things out of last year's 3rd and 4th rounders-- Brandon Jones and Solomon Kindley. Jones saw limited snaps but will likely start at safety with Bobby McCain now gone to WFT. More of a box safety but has the athleticism to play anywhere. Kindley made a big statement cementing himself as a starter in last year's training camp. He should be even better this year as he transitions back to his natural position at LG.

Chase Claypool for sure.  He’s got all the natural talent and is on his way to becoming a star in the league as long as he avoids off field scuffles.  

Patrick Queen is only just beginning too.  Super talented and put up solid numbers as a rookie.  

Chase Young is great, but his rookie season was overrated.  He didn’t do near enough to get a Pro Bowl nod. 

• Like 1