2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

28 minutes ago, TheRealMcCoy said:

They really hate that man that much? 😭

I didn’t think Baker was the long term franchise guy and I can’t blame Cleveland for trying to upgrade, but damn I didn’t think this would get this bad this quick. 

Time to take the trash out. Browns get Watson their SB bound.

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

I didn’t want to draft him.

I didn’t mean you literally…

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Berry and Stefanski inherited him.

We want an adult

Berry was part of the group that selected him.  So was DePo.  Haslam I’m sure had to sign off on the number one pick.

Stefanski inherited him.  And by inherited him, took the job knowing he had 2 full seasons left on his rookie deal.

The front office has to deal with baker on a daily basis. There’s gotta be something that has rubbed them the wrong way. I’m sure the coaching staff is sick of him throwing away the fundamentals every time a play breaks down. Planting your lead foot the wrong way all the time. Throwing into obviously bad coverage. 

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

The front office has to deal with baker on a daily basis. There’s gotta be something that has rubbed them the wrong way. I’m sure the coaching staff is sick of him throwing away the fundamentals every time a play breaks down. Planting your lead foot the wrong way all the time. Throwing into obviously bad coverage. 

I get all that, but was he really any different this year other than being hurt from previous years?

Looked like an injured version of the same dude.

The same dude they supposedly offered a 180 million dollar extension to.

On 1/24/2022 at 6:11 PM, brownie man said:

Dude neither Baker or Burrow played the 4th game what are you talking about 

Ok the Browns are 4 wins no losses against the Bengals of which Mayfield quarterback Ed 3 of those wins with a better rating then Burrow. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Dude was the number one overall pick, broke the rookie TD record, broke a decades long streak of both not making the playoffs or winning a playoff game, etc and still doesn’t finish his rookie deal here.

Say what you want about Baker, that ain’t a good look for the organization.

In my opinion, being the overall #1 pick doesn't guarantee success, especially for QB's and I actually think it puts even more pressure on the player.

I understand that Baker had broken the rookie TD record, but in today's NFL where passing is much more prevalent, I just don't see it as significant a milestone as other people think and I expect it to get broken more frequently in the coming years.  

In regards to taking us to the playoffs and winning, he did do that and he did have a good game, no one should deny that but the Browns were also lucky to get 5 turnovers in the game as well with 3 of the turnovers turning into touchdowns and one turnover turning into a field goal.  Without those turnovers, who knows how the game could have ended up.  Never the less, he did have that winning season that got us to the playoffs.  I did want to point out though that even though he did give us that season, he has been wildly inconsistent the rest of the time.  Did coaching/FO turnover & his injury have something to do with it, I'm sure it did factor in but there were also numerous instances where he missed wide open receivers & had a difficult time reading defenses.

I don't think it will ultimately make the Browns look like a bad organization if Baker is traded before his rookie deal is up.  Perhaps the Browns are taking a more prudent approach to the situation and don't want to pay $35+ million to a player who has been inconsistent during his time with the Browns.  It sounds as if there may have been more going on behind the scenes that we may never get the whole story about.

Finally, Bakers personality can be polarizing.  Some fans love how brash he can be while other fans are turned off by it.  Some will call it swag while others call it immature.  The media thrives off of it when he is playing well and attack him for it when he is playing poorly.  Most people either love Baker or hate him, there's not a lot who are in the middle so to speak.

Peace!!!

A friend of mine made a good point....and it may have been a misstep by our FO.

He said why did the FO keep saying Baker is our guy, if they knew he wasn't.  You don't have to say ANYTHING.  I get we're in a league where you say it's "your guy" until it's not.....but they could have just kept quiet.  Kind of a bad look!!!

1 minute ago, big poppa pump said:

A friend of mine made a good point....and it may have been a misstep by our FO.

He said why did the FO keep saying Baker is our guy, if they knew he wasn't.  You don't have to say ANYTHING.  I get we're in a league where you say it's "your guy" until it's not.....but they could have just kept quiet.  Kind of a bad look!!!

The media would have had a field day if the Browns didn't say ANYTING about Baker.  It would have been construed negatively.  The media would have turned it into "Browns not commenting on Baker, is a parting of ways inevitable??".  The Browns would have had extra negative publicity that they didn't want.

Peace!!!

• Like 1

Just now, cortes02 said:

In my opinion, being the overall #1 pick doesn't guarantee success, especially for QB's and I actually think it puts even more pressure on the player.

I don’t think it guaranteed anything other then maybe a commitment. It’s just wild he’s not even gonna see the 5th year.  That’s not a judgement on whether he should or shouldn’t, just that most dudes in his position who have the relative success he has would for other organizations.

Just now, cortes02 said:

I understand that Baker had broken the rookie TD record, but in today's NFL where passing is much more prevalent, I just don't see it as significant a milestone as other people think and I expect it to get broken more frequently in the coming years.  

Maybe, but it’s still a notable league record. 

Just now, cortes02 said:

Did coaching/FO turnover & his injury have something to do with it, I'm sure it did factor in but there were also numerous instances where he missed wide open receivers & had a difficult time reading defenses.

sure, but show me a QB who doesn’t do that at times?  Like, who is this QB we’re gonna get that doesn’t have flaws in their game?  Obviously if they do manage to land Watson there aren’t nearly as many (on the field) but he’s crapped the bed a time or two himself.

Just now, cortes02 said:

I don't think it will ultimately make the Browns look like a bad organization if Baker is traded before his rookie deal is up. 

In and of itself, I agree.  But this is just the recent in a long line of similar decisions.

Just now, cortes02 said:

Perhaps the Browns are taking a more prudent approach to the situation and don't want to pay $35+ million to a player who has been inconsistent during his time with the Browns. 

Well they don’t have to do that.  He’s on the books for 18 this year and nothing next.  

Just now, cortes02 said:

It sounds as if there may have been more going on behind the scenes that we may never get the whole story about.

100% agree here.

Just now, cortes02 said:

Finally, Bakers personality can be polarizing.  Some fans love how brash he can be while other fans are turned off by it.  Some will call it swag while others call it immature.  The media thrives off of it when he is playing well and attack him for it when he is playing poorly.  Most people either love Baker or hate him, there's not a lot who are in the middle so to speak.

Peace!!!

For sure.