2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

On 4/3/2022 at 1:47 PM, MWil23 said:

I think the Browns trade Baker post draft when the dust settles even if that means we eat some cap this year, or else swap him for another player who also has a bad contract who might help us elsewhere for a year.

I don't think you have a choice in eating the cap.  5th year options are fully-guaranteed at time of execution (as in money was put in an escrow account to ensure it's there to be doled out in appropriate game-checks, etc.).  You're on the hook for the full $19M so far as I can tell; I've got a feeler put out to a former agent for confirmation on this, but that's always been my understanding of how guaranteed one-year contracts worked - it's also why the Jets were so keen on trading Darnold ahead of his 5YO being executed (so that his new team could be the ones that did it).

26 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Kurt Warner on the rich Eisen show was asked who he would take Baker or one of the rookies in the draft. He didnt have a high opinion of the rookies and he choose them.

The challenge in trading for Mayfield is this.

If he succeeds he refuses to sign franchise 

Tag .Then you either have a qb that you have to pay north of Deshaun for 6 years

Or you have no qb.

I know we overrated him while he was our QB (that's what we do as Browns fans). But there has to be a team or two that still wants Baker.

There were all kinds of reports of teams that were really high on him during the draft process. I still won't be shocked if a team comes out of nowhere to trade for him. Either that, or it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Guys like Belichick, McVay, and Shanahan supposedly all loved Baker back when. Maybe one of them will step up...

2 hours ago, ReggieCamp said:

I know we overrated him while he was our QB (that's what we do as Browns fans). But there has to be a team or two that still wants Baker.

There were all kinds of reports of teams that were really high on him during the draft process. I still won't be shocked if a team comes out of nowhere to trade for him. Either that, or it's just wishful thinking on my part.

Guys like Belichick, McVay, and Shanahan supposedly all loved Baker back when. Maybe one of them will step up...

Fans also undervalue players once the team trades or releases them.

We have zero leverage to trade Baker because we already traded for a starter and signed a backup. There is no way you get fair value after that.

Also, Baker probably hasn't recovered from surgery yet.

Also, teams may not want to deal with us and there aren't many teams in the market for a QB.

Honestly Pittsburgh is probably the best landing spot for Baker but I don't know how that could happen.

• Like 1