2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

So when everything is absolutely perfect, Bakers best stat line of his career is only 26 TDs and 8 INTs. That’s “okay” I guess.

I just think certain fans are doing what they always do when it comes to Browns QBs: Defend him no matter what. Come hell or high water, he’s “their guy.” Blame everybody else except the QB because they’re afraid of the reality that he’s just not “the guy.”

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

So when everything is absolutely perfect, Bakers best stat line of his career is only 26 TDs and 8 INTs. That’s “okay” I guess.

As long as the run game keeps up with its current output, yes those are great numbers. 

He should be under center at least 75% of the time, and honestly, I would be comfortable with closer to 90%.  I understand that they want to exploit (so called ) mismatches in the 5 wide, however, they would be better served to use MORE play action in the passing game.  Even when the run game doesn't seem to be working, they should still be under center, and running play action, rollouts, quick hitters...etc.

The offense that I see the Vikings running, should be OUR offense.

12 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I just think certain fans are doing what they always do when it comes to Browns QBs: Defend him no matter what. Come hell or high water, he’s “their guy.” Blame everybody else except the QB because they’re afraid of the reality that he’s just not “the guy.”

Who’s defending Baker? I think nearly the whole board is in agreement he shouldn’t have been out there yesterday, especially in the second half, but that ultimately falls on the HC.

Acknowledging there is more than one issue isnt defending him.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

He should be under center at least 75% of the time, and honestly, I would be comfortable with closer to 90%.  I understand that they want to exploit (so called ) mismatches in the 5 wide, however, they would be better served to use MORE play action in the passing game.  Even when the run game doesn't seem to be working, they should still be under center, and running play action, rollouts, quick hitters...etc.

The offense that I see the Vikings running, should be OUR offense.

Agreed, but we don’t have guys like Thielen and Jefferson who can win on the outside.

And Baker is simply inaccurate too often right now, which is one attribute that is almost universally accepted as a strength of his when healthy.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who’s defending Baker? I think nearly the whole board is in agreement he shouldn’t have been out there yesterday, especially in the second half, but that ultimately falls on the HC.

Acknowledging there is more than one issue isnt defending him.

This is spot on really. Stefanski isn't doing anyone any favors, if anything he's hurting the team by enabling Baker to insist he's healthy enough to play and he's hurting Baker's value by allowing it

• Like 1

Unless lowering his value is the plan. That can go one of two ways, either they offer Baker x amount of money based on this years production at a discount and hope he bites knowing Baker's option is worth over 18m or Baker banks on himself to say if I come out next year healthy and play at a high level the mega deal awaits

Being booed by your fans knowing you're severely injured has to hurt as bad as the injuries

14 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Agreed, but we don’t have guys like Thielen and Jefferson who can win on the outside.

And Baker is simply inaccurate too often right now, which is one attribute that is almost universally accepted as a strength of his when healthy.

Oh I was taking into consideration that their receiving core is heads and shoulders above ours.  I would also like to know where this inaccuracy is coming from?  If it is truly injuries, then he absolutely needs to be shut down for as long as needed.  At the very least, Keenum will be able to run the offense, and hopefully not make any mistakes.

As has been stated before....as long as Keenum isn't losing you games with turnovers, it's still a better option than what we have seen from Baker.  

I keep going back to Berry pursuing Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers, that says a lot now that I think about

I'm not sure Baker is the guy they want. Easy to move on from a guy being booed by fans, not so much for a guy who lights it up consistently like Baker did in the 2nd half last year

I kind of wonder if behind closed doors they're fist bumping each other seeing Seattle derail knowing Russ could push his way out. I'm just spitballing but something stinks. This regime has no ties to him... I don't know

Edited by TeHDruiD

26 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

Unless lowering his value is the plan. That can go one of two ways, either they offer Baker x amount of money based on this years production at a discount and hope he bites knowing Baker's option is worth over 18m or Baker banks on himself to say if I come out next year healthy and play at a high level the mega deal awaits

Being booed by your fans knowing you're severely injured has to hurt as bad as the injuries

I don’t think it’s even close to being that devious, I think Stefanski just thinks he gives us a better chance to win and is trying to instill a culture of playing through pain.  I think he’s taking it too far here with Baker and Juice.

3 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

I keep going back to Berry pursuing Russell Wilson and Aaron Rodgers, that says a lot now that I think about

I mean, they’re both better than Baker and clear upgrades.  I don’t thinking wanting them means they don’t also like Baker.

3 minutes ago, TeHDruiD said:

I'm not sure Baker is the guy they want. Easy to move on from a guy being booed by fans, not so much for a guy who lights it up consistently like Baker did in the 2nd half last year

I kind of wonder if behind closed doors they're fist bumping each other seeing Seattle derail knowing Russ could push his way out. I'm just spitballing but something stinks. This regime has no ties to him... I don't know

Eh, you’d have to know they want to come here before doing anything wild like that tbh.

I think they want continuity and stability tbh, every move they’ve made has indicated so.

22 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Oh I was taking into consideration that their receiving core is heads and shoulders above ours.  I would also like to know where this inaccuracy is coming from?  If it is truly injuries, then he absolutely needs to be shut down for as long as needed.  At the very least, Keenum will be able to run the offense, and hopefully not make any mistakes.

As has been stated before....as long as Keenum isn't losing you games with turnovers, it's still a better option than what we have seen from Baker.  

Other QB’s have said the harness he’s wearing tends to make the ball sail, which is what we’re seeing.  He’s missing almost exclusively high.

I think Keenum would have been a better option yesterday for sure.  Should have sat Baker and let him get right for the Ravens game and if not hopefully the next Ravens game after the bye.

I love his heart, but someone needs to maybe be advising him a bit better if they aren’t.  He’s losing millions of dollars right now.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think it’s even close to being that devious, I think Stefanski just thinks he gives us a better chance to win and is trying to instill a culture of playing through pain.  I think he’s taking it too far here with Baker and Juice.

I mean, they’re both better than Baker and clear upgrades.  I don’t thinking wanting them means they don’t also like Baker.

Eh, you’d have to know they want to come here before doing anything wild like that tbh.

I think they want continuity and stability tbh, every move they’ve made has indicated so.

I agree with all of that, but when you look at the team, the foundation is set, we haven't seen how they plan on building the house yet

This offseason we'll get a good look at what they covet offensively. They've been using someone elses rented tools for 2 years. This will be the first year where they get to pick what they want

Just now, TeHDruiD said:

I agree with all of that, but when you look at the team, the foundation is set, we haven't seen how they plan on building the house yet

This offseason we'll get a good look at what they covet offensively. They've been using someone elses rented tools for 2 years. This will be the first year where they get to pick what they want

I expect WR and defense.

Even if Baker proves to not be “the man” next season, whoever gets the next crack at being that guy will benefit from those things.