2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Until Baker starts showing some maturity it’s going to be hard for me to think that he is progressing into that next stage of development. I’m not saying much different than his rookie year. On the field or in interviews. We should be passed this stuff from him. We can try to explain away some of what we see on the field to injury. But we went into this season saying “It’s put up or shut up for him, he has no more excuses.” Well, here we are. 

• Like 1

I’ll state the obvious, Baker is playing because of $$$$.

Could you imagine how much money he’d lose if Keenum went out there and played 80-90% as well as Baker?

It’s not hard to calculate:

Baker wants 35 mil

Keenum wants 8 mil

Edited by candyman93

1 minute ago, candyman93 said:

I’ll state the obvious, Baker is playing because of $$$$.

Could you imagine how much money he’d lose if Keenum went out there and played 80-90% as well as Baker?

Eh, maybe. But with the way he's playing, injured or not, he's not getting an extension anytime soon and isn't helping himself financially.

12 minutes ago, DawgX said:

Eh, maybe. But with the way he's playing, injured or not, he's not getting an extension anytime soon and isn't helping himself financially.

Yeah this is how I see it.  He’s definitely lost a ton of money this season.

If Keenum were 80-90% of a healthy Baker he’d have been playing for weeks.  Clearly the coaching staff doesn’t think we’re better with Keenum, this is fan talk.

Since Baker allegedly thrives or has up until now when people doubt him and he has his back against the wall, I’d make it clear he will play out his entire fifth year and we will negotiate pending the outcome of the first half of the season. If he bends us over, then that’s the best news we could ever hope for. Zero chance I sign him until he proves it. Hurt or not, his fault or not, various factors or not, bad weapons or not. He has underachieved his draft slot. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Since Baker allegedly thrives or has up until now when people doubt him and he has his back against the wall, I’d make it clear he will play out his entire fifth year and we will negotiate pending the outcome of the first half of the season. If he bends us over, then that’s the best news we could ever hope for. Zero chance I sign him until he proves it. Hurt or not, his fault or not, various factors or not, bad weapons or not. He has underachieved his draft slot. Hopefully he proves me wrong.

I don’t think that extension could even be on the table right now tbh.

I honestly wouldn’t expect a huge extension even if he plays well next season.  A team friendly one, 30ish million? for 2 years? but nothing enormous.

I think this is either going to be a Dak/Cousins situation, or they cut bait.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think that extension could even be on the table right now tbh.

I honestly wouldn’t expect a huge extension even if he plays well next season.  A team friendly one, 30ish million? for 2 years? but nothing enormous.

I think this is either going to be a Dak/Cousins situation, or they cut bait.  

Probably best for everyone tbh. Hopefully it’s a Dak situation and Berry has to find some Vaseline 

• Like 2

Just now, MWil23 said:

Probably best for everyone tbh. Hopefully it’s a Dak situation and Berry has to find some Vaseline 

Or of course they find an upgrade after next year and just let him walk.

Im still of the opinion it’s a lot easier to say “he sucks, he ain’t the guy” than it is to find someone who’s better, but it’s still an option.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Im still of the opinion it’s a lot easier to say “he sucks, he ain’t the guy” than it is to find someone who’s better, but it’s still an option.

Those shirts fans wear with all of the QBs we've had since the return says you're spot on

I don't like the thought of the unknown, we've been down that path for a longgggggg time and it's not fun at all

Edited by TeHDruiD
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

On one hand there’s the torn labrum and fractured humerus, on the other is your opinion based on assumptions.

Tough choice.

Yes your stating what we know. The comment was that he's hurt more than that. I disagreed and explained why.

2dz.gif

21 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

@BrownLeader

Which of those QB’s you’ve personally evaluated is a better player than Baker in your opinion?

There are maybe only a couple college QBs available in this class that are better prospects than Mayfield was at Oklahoma. (#1 and #2) There aren't any easy or "can't miss" type projections. That's fwiw because even a can't miss guy might not play well. re: Trevor Lawrence.

I imagine how the FO will frame it is, who can be better than Mayfield is right now in a couple seasons.

There are a handful of prospects that are solid college QBs that could take off in the NFL..re. Russell Wilson, Herbert, Hurts, Prescott. It's not probable but it is possible.

1. Matt Corral | Ole Miss

2. K.J. Jefferson | Arkansas (RSSoph)

3. Sam Howell | UNC

4. Kenny Pickett | Pitt

5. Brennan Armstrong | Virginia

6. Eric Barriere | Eastern WA

7. Phil Jurkovec | Boston College

8. Malik Willis | Liberty

I don't know, dudes. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Should Baker have met with the press after the game? Sure I guess so, but I really think it's NOT a big deal. I wanna say just a couple weeks ago, the goatiest goat Tom Brady did the same thing.

Baker has since said all the right things (I have responsibilities to my teammates, not the media, etc.). Even Emily has said all the right things. Is everything rosy? Of course not, but it never is unless you're winning a lot.

I personally think Baker has shown quite a bit of growth from a maturity standpoint. He handled the OBJ thing about as well as you could. Right now, the important thing is that he's hurt, and he's sucking. Everything else is just noise, and it appears to be media-driven (not entirely obviously).

Figure out a few things, play better, win a couple big games, and all is well with the world. That's the way it always is in the NFL, right? This situation is no different.

• Like 6