2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

Some of what we are calling drops is being harsh. I’m not sure it should be called a drop and probably isn’t considered one if a LB or Saftey has blanket coverage on the target. There was one play in the 4th quarter where one of these supposed drops happened well short of the first down marker when Baker had a wide open TD to a WR deep. He missed a sure TD in the first quarter with a overthrown ball and mised other throws as well.

Must be all our WR’s run the wrong route not just OBJ

4 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Some of what we are calling drops is being harsh. I’m not sure it should be called a drop and probably isn’t considered one if a LB or Saftey has blanket coverage on the target. There was one play in the 4th quarter where one of these supposed drops happened well short of the first down marker when Baker had a wide open TD to a WR deep. He missed a sure TD in the first quarter with a overthrown ball and mised other throws as well.

Must be all our WR’s run the wrong route not just OBJ

Baker had his share of miss cues today, but for my mind it is where the balance lies is it with Baker or is it around Baker?

Football is a complicated game, it takes a good OC, a good Qb, a good line and good Wrs to make it work. Unless you have a freak at QB. 

Lamar was lucky today and Baker wasn't. 

Nothing was clicking outside of Baker today, how many explosive run plays of 10+ yards did we have 1? 0? 

How many great plays by a WR? maybe 1 on the Hooper long catch. 

We had sprinkling of good plays, but nothing amazing.

Was the offensive line excelent today? Not for my mind, Jed had some average blocks, Hance had some misses too. I remember one good block by Bitonio, Teller ddint do much. 

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Baker had his share of miss cues today, but for my mind it is where the balance lies is it with Baker or is it around Baker?

Football is a complicated game, it takes a good OC, a good Qb, a good line and good Wrs to make it work. Unless you have a freak at QB. 

Lamar was lucky today and Baker wasn't. 

Nothing was clicking outside of Baker today, how many explosive run plays of 10+ yards did we have 1? 0? 

How many great plays by a WR? maybe 1 on the Hooper long catch. 

We had sprinkling of good plays, but nothing amazing.

Was the offensive line excelent today? Not for my mind, Jed had some average blocks, Hance had some misses too. I remember one good block by Bitonio, Teller ddint do much. 

Lamar wasn’t lucky today, he was terrible he threw four INTERCEPTIONS and we turned it into three points. Our D was amazing today but ran out of steam due to no good drives by our O

23 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

Why does every team stack the box against us?

answer is because they fear Chubb and Hunt but they don’t fear Baker. 

Baker played fine, the play calling could have been a ton better and the WR/TEs could learn how to catch a football and get open consistently.

If Felton/Njoku/Landry/Hooper caught the passes that hit them in the hands we might be singing a much different tune

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Baker played fine, the play calling could have been a ton better and the WR/TEs could learn how to catch a football and get open consistently.

If Felton/Njoku/Landry/Hooper caught the passes that hit them in the hands we might be singing a much different tune

I came away encouraged by his play not discouraged to be honest.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Why does every team stack the box against us?

answer is because they fear Chubb and Hunt but they don’t fear Baker. 

Maybe they dont fear our wr's to win 1v1 too.  When it's zero blitz its gotta be out hot and someone has to be a playmaker.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Powertower said:

Maybe they dont fear our wr's to win 1v1 too.  When it's zero blitz its gotta be out hot and someone has to be a playmaker.  

Yep, they know these receivers aren’t beating anyone 1:1.

We have precisely 2 players who can beat defenses in DPJ and Njoku.  DPJ isn’t going to win us the game beating Marlon Humphrey, really no one is gonna whip that dude’s arse for 60 min.

Njoku can win 1:1, but he’s inconsistent as hell.

• Like 1

In all seriousness, here are some schematic issues that I'm seeing:

*Personnel packages: I love Stefanski, but from a personnel standpoint, and hopefully during the bye, he starts seeing that he's going to need to run more of Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time, by putting Hunt and/or Felton in the slot. It's apparent that Landry is our only really consistent weapon, and that's a problem. Keep Chubb in the backfield as a running threat, and use Hunt and/or Felton to create linebacker mismatches. If they allocate an extra CB/S, then audible to a run with Chubb. 

*Our weapons are pretty awful: We need another 2+ guys at the WR spots, one of whom needs to be an outside guy who can beat man coverage, both of whom need to be viable Red Zone threats. Do we have a single guy who can win a jump ball 1 on 1 situation with regularity? DPJ and Njoku can at points, but they're not reliable enough as "THE DUDES" on this team

*We need more designed checkdowns vs. having the screen game as "the answer" to potential blitzes. I don't care if this is Hooper, who sucks anyway, Hunt, Chubb, Felton, or whomever.

None of those things are on Baker. That said, you can't fumble on a screen pass vs. a 0 coverage blitz, that's one we'd like to have back.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

*Personnel packages: I love Stefanski, but from a personnel standpoint, and hopefully during the bye, he starts seeing that he's going to need to run more of Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time, by putting Hunt and/or Felton in the slot. It's apparent that Landry is our only really consistent weapon, and that's a problem. Keep Chubb in the backfield as a running threat, and use Hunt and/or Felton to create linebacker mismatches. If they a

Such a crazy personnel usage. Hunt and Felton could be our most Dangerous weapons but yet he refuses to use them like that. Like he is so set on being traditional with the offense. Like how in the blue hell have we not run any packages with Hunt and Chubb on the field? Yes you like to Keep them fresh but it’s not like he is running either one of them in the ground that you can use both at the same time

Yes right now bakers injury is holding back certain aspects of the offense but Stef should be able to figure out other schemes to offset it.

8 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In all seriousness, here are some schematic issues that I'm seeing:

*Personnel packages: I love Stefanski, but from a personnel standpoint, and hopefully during the bye, he starts seeing that he's going to need to run more of Chubb and Hunt on the field at the same time, by putting Hunt and/or Felton in the slot. It's apparent that Landry is our only really consistent weapon, and that's a problem. Keep Chubb in the backfield as a running threat, and use Hunt and/or Felton to create linebacker mismatches. If they allocate an extra CB/S, then audible to a run with Chubb. 

Chubb and Hunt should be on the field together much of the time tbh.  We don’t need to rotate just them, Johnson is good enough to mix in there too. Hunt needs to be split out a lot right now as he’s at least able to make a play.

And I like the idea of what Felton could do, but man, he’s living off that once screen for way too long.  He hasn’t done much of anything in months. I’m still hopeful he can develop and be a player, but he’s a rookie 6th rounder who’s making a position change.  We really need to temper expectations with him.

*Our weapons are pretty awful: We need another 2+ guys at the WR spots, one of whom needs to be an outside guy who can beat man coverage, both of whom need to be viable Red Zone threats. Do we have a single guy who can win a jump ball 1 on 1 situation with regularity? DPJ and Njoku can at points, but they're not reliable enough as "THE DUDES" on this team

yep. Baker gave these clowns a half dozen chances (conservatively) to make a play and they simply didn’t.

As I’ve said before, if you need to be schemed for get open, and have a pinpoint pass thrown at the perfect millisecond, you’re simply not good enough.

*We need more designed checkdowns vs. having the screen game as "the answer" to potential blitzes.

I think part of the issue is teams know our receivers, and at times Baker, isn’t gonna beat them deep.  Nor is our protection on the outside going to hold up.  They’re not gonna give us easy stuff.

I don't care if this is Hooper, who sucks anyway, Hunt, Chubb, Felton, or whomever.

I care if it’s Hooper, he’s been absolutely useless.  I’m not saying he’s not an NFL caliber TE or whatever, he is, but he’s an average number 2 tbh.  He’s a good blocker who can find the soft spot in zones.  He can’t get split a seam nor can he beat linebackers 1:1.

None of those things are on Baker. That said, you can't fumble on a screen pass vs. a 0 coverage blitz, that's one we'd like to have back.

It is, and if that was a common thing I’d be more concerned, but it was fluky. Other than that and the overthrow to Hooper that should have been picked, he played a pretty decent game tbh.