2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

35 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

https://[LINK ERROR]/2ytfay

all the drops 

Looking at that, I see 6 legit drops (not counting chubbs) and what looks like 76 yards. So adjust his line to 24/37 64% 323yards with 1 TD ( if DPJ makes his catch, who knows, he has another TD). If he didn’t fumble that screen play, he could have had a huge chunk play added on top of it

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Looking at that, I see 6 legit drops (not counting chubbs) and what looks like 76 yards. So adjust his line to 24/37 64% 323yards with 1 TD ( if DPJ makes his catch, who knows, he has another TD). If he didn’t fumble that screen play, he could have had a huge chunk play added on top of it

Somehow it is Balers fault. 

I will be interested to see how dpj looks after the bye week. He has has looked like a low end 1, a no. 2 wr and just a guy at times 

24 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Trade everything we have for Matt Ryan, extend Hooper before he goes off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

https://[LINK ERROR]/2ytfay

all the drops 

I think that’s 4 absolutely legit drops.  Chubb’s was out in front of him and the Jarvis one isn’t a ball that I’d fault the receiver for as a drop. It was catchable and a decent throw, but that would have been an excellent catch.

But, like I’ve been saying for a while, our receivers don’t make excellent catches.  They don’t win 50/50 balls, they don’t break tackles and run after the catch.  They exactly get what they’re given 90% of the time.

If the requirement for a passing game is perfectly thrown passes for uncontested catches with most of the yardage having to be air yards, good luck with that.  This ain’t HS or the Big 12.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think that’s 4 absolutely legit drops.  Chubb’s was out in front of him and the Jarvis one isn’t a ball that I’d fault the receiver for as a drop. It was catchable and a decent throw, but that would have been an excellent catch.

But, like I’ve been saying for a while, our receivers don’t make excellent catches.  They don’t win 50/50 balls, they don’t break tackles and run after the catch.  They exactly get what they’re given 90% of the time.

If the requirement for a passing game is perfectly thrown passes for uncontested catches with most of the yardage having to be air yards, good luck with that.  This ain’t HS or the Big 12.

We don’t have anyone who could bailout Baker. We saw Andrews do it twice last night. Last year it was Brown in the primetime game. 

like baker has to hit you in he hands and even then it’s not a sure thing that They will catch it. 

• Like 4

That was the knock on Baker from last night.  Got 1 min and goes 4 and out. Usually final drives are because someone steps up for the QB. Say Njoku breaks the tackle or Jarvis makes a great catch. Or Hooper makes a good catch. 

Baker isn’t free from criticizing last night.  That screen play that he fumbled is about as negative of a play as you can make.  I mean that was 2 turnovers since it should have been a chunk play. Instead those morons have the ball. 

He also missed 2 wide open WR on the first drive. Though I’m sure when DPJ is single man and is past the DB at the span you throw it. 

This past weekend is the reason I don’t take football serious anymore.  The ******* Harbaugh family could have really ruined my long weekend off. 

Edited by JDD

17 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I will be interested to see how dpj looks after the bye week. He has has looked like a low end 1, a no. 2 wr and just a guy at times 

Peoples-Jones is a jag even at 100%. As the #3 or #4 he can have some degree of success but with OBJ gone, bumping him to #2, he's not good enough. His bag is that he's a big bodied guy that can win 50/50. If he can't do that reliably, even at 80%, he's a liability.

16 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

I’m not saying it’s all Baker, play calling has been bad, and our WR’s aren’t great. But Baker is a big part of our problems 

There's nothing wrong with the playcalling. But the Ravens loss does highlight the failings all around. Baker's not quite good enough. Hooper's a major disappoint. Njoku is a decent situational TE but not good enough as a full starter. Bryant is ok but a lot more was expected out of him. Delpit's been a disappointment. Hudson's been a disappointment as the needed swing tackle.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Someone in here pointed out DPJ's win rate on contested catches not too long ago...

But this is the conundrum the FO has fallen into. They mis-evaluated FA Austin Hooper and didn't add a good offensive playmaker in the last draft. The team needed OBJ....could be why they didn't trade him. They needed Baker to be a better improvisational and anticipation guy to work with OBJ. The failing of that duo is pretty squarely on the QB and the fall out happening now is the consequence.

-----

Pundits all over can't figure out why Baker is still playing.

Stefanski isn't a dumb or egotistical guy. He's not sitting down Baker because it would be performance based and they all know it. He's not ready to cross that bridge yet. He's looking fine in practice, that's been confirmed, and he's medically cleared to play. They know the injury narrative is overblown.

And if you really look at it...he's not playing that much different than last season. He had about 5 or 6 really good games last season out of 18.... and the rest looked a lot like last Sunday and sometimes worse. This year he's had 2 really good games out of 12.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Peoples-Jones is a jag even at 100%. As the #3 or #4 he can have some degree of success but with OBJ gone, bumping him to #2, he's not good enough. His bag is that he's a big bodied guy that can win 50/50. If he can't do that reliably, even at 80%, he's a liability.

I mean, yeah, he’s a #3/4 right now with the potential to maybe become a #2.

There's nothing wrong with the playcalling. But the Ravens loss does highlight the failings all around. Baker's not quite good enough.

Im just not seeing the issues with Baker against the Ravens.  Sure there were a couple /three misses, but that’s literally every QB every game. The fumble was bad but out of character.

Baker completely whiffed one throw. He was far and away the better QB on Sunday.  He played well enough to win.

Hooper's a major disappoint.

Somehow this is an understatement.  He looks like an average number 2 TE.

Njoku is a decent situational TE but not good enough as a full starter.

I think he’s good enough, just not consistent enough.

Bryant is ok but a lot more was expected out of him.

Really?  He’s a second year, third string TE.

Delpit's been a disappointment.

Eh, he missed a year and is essentially a rookie.  He’s also flashed at times.  Im willing to be patient here.

Hudson's been a disappointment as the needed swing tackle.

He wasn’t really drafted to be that this year, that was Hubbard’s role.  Hudson was/is pretty clearly a project player and has been since he was drafted.  

Someone in here pointed out DPJ's win rate on contested catches not too long ago...

Yeah, he’s literally the only dude who competes and wins regularly.  He’s also not going to go out and whip Marlon Humphrey’s *** all game.  

But this is the conundrum the FO has fallen into. They mis-evaluated FA Austin Hooper and didn't add a good offensive playmaker in the last draft. The team needed OBJ....could be why they didn't trade him. They needed Baker to be a better improvisational and anticipation guy to work with OBJ. The failing of that duo is pretty squarely on the QB and the fall out happening now is the consequence.

-----

eh, small sample size but Stafford hasn’t been able to do much with a guy who’s apparently wide open all the time thus far.

Pundits all over can't figure out why Baker is still playing.

It’s not all that hard to figure out, he’s better than Keenum.

Stefanski isn't a dumb or egotistical guy. He's not sitting down Baker because it would be performance based and they all know it. He's not ready to cross that bridge yet. He's looking fine in practice, that's been confirmed, and he's medically cleared to play. They know the injury narrative is overblown.

100% speculation.

And if you really look at it...he's not playing that much different than last season. He had about 5 or 6 really good games last season out of 18.... and the rest looked a lot like last Sunday and sometimes worse. This year he's had 2 really good games out of 12.

He definitely needs to play better, but I’m not sure there’s much he can prove one way or another the last 5 games this season.  If he gets hot, people like yourself will call it fools gold.  If he doesn’t, his supporters will give their list of reasons as to why.  

In the meantime I’ll just sit here and accept there is one, maybe two guys in the league who would be both available and a clear upgrade.  We’re in all likelihood gonna be starting Baker next season, maybe the year after that if he shows improvement.

32 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In the meantime I’ll just sit here and accept there is one, maybe two guys in the league who would be both available and a clear upgrade.  We’re in all likelihood gonna be starting Baker next season, maybe the year after that if he shows improvement.

No, stop being an optimist. Also who is the second guy after Rogers? 

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, yeah, he’s a #3/4 right now with the potential to maybe become a #2.

Agreed. But I don't think he's explosive enough to ever be a good #2.

Im just not seeing the issues with Baker against the Ravens.  Sure there were a couple /three misses, but that’s literally every QB every game. The fumble was bad but out of character.

Baker completely whiffed one throw. He was far and away the better QB on Sunday.  He played well enough to win.

That fumble was worth 3 Lamar ints for a QB like Baker. You can't compare Lamar to a regular QB..he does a whole lot more than every other QB in the league.

That fumble was almost certainly a good ahead score that was pissed away in an unforced error. And I guess your writing off the dropped int directly after Johnson's big time pick. Just because it was dropped doesn't forgive the massive mistake in a clutch situation.

All that said..it was a fairly typical game for him under Stefanski....and he was for sure hurt by drops. But he was in nooo way the better QB unless your strictly looking at the box score.

Somehow this is an understatement.  He looks like an average number 2 TE.

I think he’s good enough, just not consistent enough.

Really?  He’s a second year, third string TE.

In this offense it looks like the TE's are more important than the WRs. ..which makes the FA miss on Hooper really glaring.

Njoku is a long, springy guy with some straight line speed. But he's an average blocker and a poor route runner with his stiffness. Offers little after the catch and will have a handful of bad drops a season. Those extension talk rumors aren't inspiring.

Eh, he missed a year and is essentially a rookie.  He’s also flashed at times.  Im willing to be patient here.

His and the other safeties mental errors have been back breaking for the defense.

It’s not all that hard to figure out, he’s better than Keenum.

100% speculation.

90% of this forum is speculation. But the QB coach did say Baker was "turning the corner" on the injuries and had "a great week of practice." When the shoulder/labrum first hit, Stefanski said "it wasn't affecting him in practice." If the guy couldn't move or throw properly in practice they for sure wouldn't put him out there in the game. People see him not playing well and figure it's because he's banged up. That ain't it.

He definitely needs to play better, but I’m not sure there’s much he can prove one way or another the last 5 games this season.  If he gets hot, people like yourself will call it fools gold.  If he doesn’t, his supporters will give their list of reasons as to why.  

Tbh I think they already decided on Baker whether he's here next year or not. 55 games is more than enough to evaluate a QB.

It's really similar to the situation in LA with Goff. Goff was really good at times but also played like *** pretty often. When McVay and Snead had an opportunity to get a Stafford they did. I think you could make a good argument that over his career Goff has been a better QB than Mayfield. That 'd make it harder, but if Stefanski and Berry have an opportunity to get a Stafford like guy this offseason and move Baker, they will.

That means Rodgers, Wilson and Ryan. Assuming they want out, I think it's just about whether they'd want to be in Cleveland.

But ..while it wouldn't be popular and would take massive brass ones, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Gardner Minshew would also be slight upgrades. But no one wants to hear about that. ;

• Like 1