2021 Baker thread

ReggieCamp

18 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

I don't know, dudes. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age.

Should Baker have met with the press after the game? Sure I guess so, but I really think it's NOT a big deal. I wanna say just a couple weeks ago, the goatiest goat Tom Brady did the same thing.

I mean ok, but he’s not Brady. He doesn’t have that type of pull or benefit of the doubt right now.

18 minutes ago, ReggieCamp said:

Baker has since said all the right things (I have responsibilities to my teammates, not the media, etc.). Even Emily has said all the right things. Is everything rosy? Of course not, but it never is unless you're winning a lot.

I personally think Baker has shown quite a bit of growth from a maturity standpoint. He handled the OBJ thing about as well as you could. Right now, the important thing is that he's hurt, and he's sucking. Everything else is just noise, and it appears to be media-driven (not entirely obviously).

Figure out a few things, play better, win a couple big games, and all is well with the world. That's the way it always is in the NFL, right? This situation is no different.

Agree with the rest of this.

1 hour ago, BrownLeader said:

1. Matt Corral | Ole Miss

2. K.J. Jefferson | Arkansas (RSSoph)

3. Sam Howell | UNC

4. Kenny Pickett | Pitt

5. Brennan Armstrong | Virginia

6. Eric Barriere | Eastern WA

7. Phil Jurkovec | Boston College

8. Malik Willis | Liberty

So you’re looking more at a day 3 developmental guy then?  I can get behind that if for no other reason than to cut bait with Keenum and save 4-5 million if they’re not gonna play him.

• Like 1

The Absolute INSANITY that has ensued here is almost bringing me to tears......JOKES of Articles, about Rich eisien waking up the Browns fan base, or actually looking at QB's to replace Mayfield. This is pure foolishness. I cant believe that the Brown's fan base is allowing the media to fracture it like that. I know some are saying No, but anytime you have the Fan's calling to Fire a D.C. who is in his 2nd year, has injuries on its defense at KEY positions, and at the time had the 3rd ranked Defense in the NFL....and SERIOUSLY want to replace that in the 6 games into the season......that hurts my heart. Because of the lean years (25-30) Browns fans developed the ability to really look at situation bare bones, and worst case scenario.....now its like some of our fans are allowing the media to form their opinions FOR THEM.....and its sad.

Baker has shown TREMENDOUS Growth and Maturity.....he is no longer the Flag Planting, Genital Grabbing, get drunk and run from the Police guy he was at Oklahoma....but he dosent get credit for that at all....somehow he is still immature.......because he didnt want to go and shake hands or meet with the media with a busted leg, broken Shoulder and Torn Labrum......but DURING the game if you go back and watch, on that first TD, Baker is the first dude in there celebrating with Landry, and on the Chubb TD catch, he was about the 5th one there, and you can tell he was moving funny, like he has a busted leg or busted shoulder or something??????????????????????????????? But he's imature, because he didnt want to meet with the Media that has had is out for him SINCE he got into it with member of it.

They have NEVER let that go, and always looking for some way to put him down. Had it been Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert, it would be talk about how they gutted it out with Injuries that would sideline a normal QB, and how even though their numbers werent the best, but they made the enough plays in crucial situations to get the team the W......not Mayfield, they all wanna focus on his 2 ints......well lets get some Truth out there, do you know how many games Baker has thrown multiple INT's this year?.......I'll wait........this is his FIRST Multi INT game since 10/18 vs the Steelers in 2020....YES PEOPLE that is 21 GAMES Including the playoffs.....he has not thrown 2 picks in a game for 21 GAMES....Burrow already has 3 THIS SEASON, including a 3 Int meltdown vs the Bears. But they still spin the scenario that Burrow in a Franchise Guy and Mayfield needs to be replaced (also Mayfield is 3-0 vs Joe Burrow by the way).........Browns fans need to get back to looking at the real numbers and forming their own opinions, not these emotional over reactions fueled by BS media putting a "Certain Narrative" out there that Mayfield is Immature and his his ceiling as a QB and all that BS.

Baker as a rookie Broke Browns and NFL passing records for QB's, his 2nd year was Freddie Kitchens and that was a Lost year for everyone on the team.......last year he put up all pro numbers, WHILE changing all his Mechanics around per the coaches request. This year he's been asked to come in a be a QB that plays behind his running game, and keeps Turnovers to a min, which he has done, WHILE PLAYING WITH INJURIES THAT WOULD SIDE LINE MOST QB's IN the NFL.....

People stop letting the media control the narrative....even now attempting to start something between Baker and the Fans......we should Fortify and Galvanize as a fan base, in our QB's corner, not come apart at the seems and start giving credence to these false narratives that the media is pushing. He is literally giving Blood and Bone EVERY game since week 2, and I for one APPRECIATE Baker.

UnQpdfwx-haIqyViCaVMittK3icX4H_BWibWBjog

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I know some are saying No, but anytime you have the Fan's calling to Fire a D.C. who is in his 2nd year, has injuries on its defense at KEY positions, and at the time had the 3rd ranked Defense in the NFL....and SERIOUSLY want to replace that in the 6 games into the season......that hurts my heart

There is a difference between Letting a coach settle in and getting his system installed and ran and than there is the crap Woods has done or better yet haven’t done. 

Yes at one point we had a top3 ranked defense and one of those big reasons was because of the bears game. That great skewed our stats because we got an extremely green Justin Fields. I bet you if we play the bears now, it’s a more competitive game. Now we have a DVOA defense that ranks 24th and you know what that seems just about right the way the defense has been playing. 

schematic  wise, woods has no idea what he is doing. This defense has no identity to it besides Myles Garrett. Woods has admitted it that he hasn’t corrected every issue and JJIII mentioned it as well. Pats exposed all those issues that weren’t corrected by the DC. Dude is leading one of the worst 3rd down defenses in the league over the past 2years. 

last year he had the injury card but he is doing the same thing this year and it makes no sense. Dude has 2 absolute stud man press corners and a handful of safeties who are great when playing all over the field but he elects to set everyone in soft defenses. He needs to be let go or he has to seriously transform his schemes and actually build a  identity for this unit

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DaWg_LB. said:

The Absolute INSANITY that has ensued here is almost bringing me to tears......JOKES of Articles, about Rich eisien waking up the Browns fan base, or actually looking at QB's to replace Mayfield. This is pure foolishness. I cant believe that the Brown's fan base is allowing the media to fracture it like that. I know some are saying No, but anytime you have the Fan's calling to Fire a D.C. who is in his 2nd year, has injuries on its defense at KEY positions, and at the time had the 3rd ranked Defense in the NFL....and SERIOUSLY want to replace that in the 6 games into the season......that hurts my heart. Because of the lean years (25-30) Browns fans developed the ability to really look at situation bare bones, and worst case scenario.....now its like some of our fans are allowing the media to form their opinions FOR THEM.....and its sad.

Baker has shown TREMENDOUS Growth and Maturity.....he is no longer the Flag Planting, Genital Grabbing, get drunk and run from the Police guy he was at Oklahoma....but he dosent get credit for that at all....somehow he is still immature.......because he didnt want to go and shake hands or meet with the media with a busted leg, broken Shoulder and Torn Labrum......but DURING the game if you go back and watch, on that first TD, Baker is the first dude in there celebrating with Landry, and on the Chubb TD catch, he was about the 5th one there, and you can tell he was moving funny, like he has a busted leg or busted shoulder or something??????????????????????????????? But he's imature, because he didnt want to meet with the Media that has had is out for him SINCE he got into it with member of it.

They have NEVER let that go, and always looking for some way to put him down. Had it been Joe Burrow or Justin Herbert, it would be talk about how they gutted it out with Injuries that would sideline a normal QB, and how even though their numbers werent the best, but they made the enough plays in crucial situations to get the team the W......not Mayfield, they all wanna focus on his 2 ints......well lets get some Truth out there, do you know how many games Baker has thrown multiple INT's this year?.......I'll wait........this is his FIRST Multi INT game since 10/18 vs the Steelers in 2020....YES PEOPLE that is 21 GAMES Including the playoffs.....he has not thrown 2 picks in a game for 21 GAMES....Burrow already has 3 THIS SEASON, including a 3 Int meltdown vs the Bears. But they still spin the scenario that Burrow in a Franchise Guy and Mayfield needs to be replaced (also Mayfield is 3-0 vs Joe Burrow by the way).........Browns fans need to get back to looking at the real numbers and forming their own opinions, not these emotional over reactions fueled by BS media putting a "Certain Narrative" out there that Mayfield is Immature and his his ceiling as a QB and all that BS.

Baker as a rookie Broke Browns and NFL passing records for QB's, his 2nd year was Freddie Kitchens and that was a Lost year for everyone on the team.......last year he put up all pro numbers, WHILE changing all his Mechanics around per the coaches request. This year he's been asked to come in a be a QB that plays behind his running game, and keeps Turnovers to a min, which he has done, WHILE PLAYING WITH INJURIES THAT WOULD SIDE LINE MOST QB's IN the NFL.....

People stop letting the media control the narrative....even now attempting to start something between Baker and the Fans......we should Fortify and Galvanize as a fan base, in our QB's corner, not come apart at the seems and start giving credence to these false narratives that the media is pushing. He is literally giving Blood and Bone EVERY game since week 2, and I for one APPRECIATE Baker.

UnQpdfwx-haIqyViCaVMittK3icX4H_BWibWBjog

tenor.gif

• Like 2

Yeah screw that. tbh i don't care about his maturity or growth...just play like a top tier QB. Purely rooting for the guy isn't going to make him any better.  The table was set this season.....this offense was loaded for any QB to have a monster year...and it's largely been squandered.

If your healthy enough to be cleared, do what you have to do to succeed. Don't start limping around once you go 3 & out. Brady played all year on a torn mcl and got his 7th ring. Rodgers had one of the best games of his career last week with a toe injury. Late great Steve McNair was never healthy.

Outside of about 6 or 7 gms last year Mayfield was lackluster to average. Imo Stefanski, the coaching staff and Chubb are why the team made the playoffs last year, not Baker exactly.

His rookie year was a long time ago. Some QBs struggle to adapt over time and he might be one of them. Sam Bradford, Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff...all great college QBs that had success initially or sparingly in the league but couldn't sustain.

Given his up and down play, of course the FO is considering successors. Doesn't mean they're not still backing him now or they've written him off but they have to prepare.

...Here's hoping for a repeat performance of that 2nd Raven game from last year this week, for his and the team's sake.

• Like 1

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/11/what-is-lost-in-the-drama-surrounding-baker-mayfield-terry-pluto.html

One of the few PD writers I have mush respect for from a football perceptive, he has a decent eye for the game without being an expert and he has a level head. His journalism isnt sensational, he writes the story in a good way Pluto is behind Baker.  

They could be headed in the right direction.  We'll see. 

1. You can revolve and close the game around Chubb, and Hunt is back. 

2. Stefanski is adjusting. Love the back to back pa's at one point. The deep shot to Bradley although missed. The focus on getting the ball to hooper and Landry short often.

3. Baker making these same adjustments. When we go 5 wide on early downs just going to hooper or another quick throw. Still focused on Higgins too much but it's good to try and get him involved. 

4. Woods had these guys playing more press. Wish he would blitz more,  but tbh he can get caught with pants down.  Terrible blitz, lack of audible,  and then terrible angles by the safties have swift that long td. 

4. Ronnie Harrison made some plays. Adjustment after long td run and subsequent play action shows signs of in game improvements. 

47 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Yeah screw that. tbh i don't care about his maturity or growth...just play like a top tier QB. Purely rooting for the guy isn't going to make him any better.  The table was set this season.....this offense was loaded for any QB to have a monster year...and it's largely been squandered.

If your healthy enough to be cleared, do what you have to do to succeed. Don't start limping around once you go 3 & out. Brady played all year on a torn mcl and got his 7th ring. Rodgers had one of the best games of his career last week with a toe injury. Late great Steve McNair was never healthy.

Outside of about 6 or 7 gms last year Mayfield was lackluster to average. Imo Stefanski, the coaching staff and Chubb are why the team made the playoffs last year, not Baker exactly.

His rookie year was a long time ago. Some QBs struggle to adapt over time and he might be one of them. Sam Bradford, Robert Griffin, Colin Kaepernick, Marcus Mariota, Jared Goff...all great college QBs that had success initially or sparingly in the league but couldn't sustain.

Given his up and down play, of course the FO is considering successors. Doesn't mean they're not still backing him now or they've written him off but they have to prepare.

...Here's hoping for a repeat performance of that 2nd Raven game from last year this week, for his and the team's sake.

Goat apology here. Much respect!

tenor.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

OK, I dont know how to separate things out....so will address the sections as I can....

Section 1: You must mean "Consistently Play" like a top Tier QB, because at times he has, when he AND his weapons have been healthy, you dont break Browns Records, NFL Records and lead a Downtrodden Franchise to its first playoff win in over 20 years (missing your Head Coach and best O lineman) and not have played like a Top Tier QB. SO I agree if you are saying consistency...but please dont act like he's some sort of Dewayne Haskins type of QB.....Also Purely Hating on a guy is not going to make him play worse.

Section 2: I feel is spoken by a man who has never played a football game while being injured, sometimes you go out there because at 75% your still better than the backup and your going to war with your Brothers. I agree get outta the way, IF you are going to Hurt the team because you cant physically participate. Now talking about limping after you go 3 and out, I guess is a matter of perspective...... I saw him start limping around after the injuries were exacerbated with hits and getting rolled up on. I've played half a college season as LB with Torn Tendons in my ankle, so I guess that give me a different perspective when someone is out there gutting out an injury. It seems like you consider his limping him attempting to use some kinda excuse for poor play...hmmm 2 time walk on, Heisman Trophy winner...yeah he has a History of making excuses. Or did he develop something new as he has matured? All I'm saying is look at Track Record before you start suggesting someone acting out of their established Character, like faking a limp after going 3 and out.....

The second thing you mention, you called out 3 HOF QB's.....1 of which is the best QB of all time, and the other is a hands down top 10 QB of ALL time.....a lot of GOOD Boxers would SUCK if you compared their Careers to Muhammad Ali and Sugar Ray Robinson.....Baker Mayfield may never be Sugar Ray Robinson, but he may be Roberto Duran. Also you are aware that you are clearly stating cases where these players had leg injuries....NOT a torn labrum and Broker Shoulder bones....saying a QB was still effective with a Toe injury is like saying a CB can still be effective with a Broken Finger.....but I guess this is just the Different perspective. It also took time for these qb's to become who they were.....(Rogers to sit behind a HOF QB for 3 FULL seasons.....not thrown into a FIRE under one of the Worst HC in history, on a team coming off a 1-31 over a 2 year span)....so just take a quick look at Tom Brady's numbers in his first 4 years and Baker Mayfields....you may see something interesting.....

Section 3....."outside of 6 or 7 games last year Mayfield was Lackluster to Average"...that I just have to laugh at wonder how old you are....I could be mistaking you for an older Browns Fan....let me give you an example of What "Lackluster" really looks like....."Ty Detmer, Doug Pederson, Spergon Wynn, Kelly Holcomb, Jeff Garcia, Luke McCown, Trent Dilfer, Charlie Frye, Derek Anderson, Ken Dorsey, Brady Quinn, Bruce Gradkowski, Colt McCoy, Jake Delhomme, Seneca Wallace, Brandon Weeden, Thaddeus Lewis, Jason Campbell, Brian Hoyer, Johnny Manziel, Connor Shaw, Josh McCown, Austin Davis, Robert Griffin III, Cody Kessler, DeShone Kizer, Kevin Hogan and Tyrod Taylor"......

forrest-gump-thats-all-i-have-to-say.gif

I am not excusing his play, he has to play better...but lets stop with this Busto Talk, and stop acting like he's not been hurt, and missing his starting WR's, BOTH OT's and BOTH RB's for MORE than half the season.....not to mention WHAT THE COACHES are asking him to do....Stafanski wants to run the ball, throw to the TE's of play action and Play Good Defense and TOP caliber Special teams. Mayfield IMO has CLEARLY shown enough to build around, and continue letting him develop. 

a-different-world-i-rest-my-case-gif-the

• Like 4