2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

17 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I watched him a lot.  Big guys like him shouldn't be able to move like he can.  He might have the best, quickest feet on that entire line, even over Jenkins.  It's sick, in a good way.

I think he was a plus in pass protection.  And a neutral in the run game.  He can get beat across his face pretty easily.  He also tries to get low, but can't get low enough on some plays.  He's got some room to grow in the run game is what I'm saying.

But if you want a big guy with long arms and good feet as a blindside protector, he's passing that test.

I'm not sure that he won't compete for a starting tackle spot next season.  No offense to Turner.  Yosh just looks that good.

I guess this is what I was looking to get at, with Elgton out this year, which combo is our best line if/when we get healthy. MLF has always said the best 5 will play,

Bak, JRJ, Myers, Newman, Turner

or

Bak, JRJ, Myers, Patrick, Turner

or

Bak, JRJ, Myers, Turner, Yosh

For next year I rather like Bakh, E.J. (when he returns), Myers, Runyan, Nijman.

This is no disrespect to Turner who has played very nicely at RT, but he might be a loss to ease the cap situation, as 2022 is the final year of his contract. He costs $8.9m in 2022 after a restructure, and would save about $4m and cost just under $5m in dead cap, if cut. I would be perfectly happy if Turner stayed through his final year (he'll be 31 next year) and Nijman became the top backup OT for a year (this assumes Nijman will not outplay Turner next year, which is no certainty).

I like Runyan over Newman at RG after he has filled in at LG for E.J's recovery, but I need to bear in mind that Newman is just a rookie. I wasn't enthusiastic about him being drafted, but I'll root for him if he turns out well.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

39 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

For next year I rather like Bakh, E.J. (when he returns), Myers, Runyan, Nijman.

This is no disrespect to Turner who has played very nicely at RT, but he might be a loss to ease the cap situation, as 2022 is the final year of his contract. He costs $8.9m in 2022 after a restructure, and would save about $4m and cost just under $5m in dead cap, if cut. I would be perfectly happy if Turner stayed through his final year (he'll be 31 next year) and Nijman became the top backup OT for a year (this assumes Nijman will not outplay Turner next year, which is no certainty).

I like Runyan over Newman at RG after he has filled in at LG for E.J's recovery, but I need to bear in mind that Newman is just a rookie. I wasn't enthusiastic about him being drafted, but I'll root for him if he turns out well.

Nijman has really developed his game to go with his natural born talent, it’s great to see and he probably deserves a chance to take the next step. I have no idea what the next year brings for him but he’s shown he can run with the ones.

Turner has been the only consistent vet presence this year and I think it’s been very important in these games we’ve had to scrape through with the young guys. For the money, saving 4mil to eat 5, and the drain in talent, I would hope we keep him. He has some limitations but has just gone to work and created stability at RT in a year that has been anything but stable on the line. He has also shown great versatility at G and LT.

In the end, next year’s cap will be all about what happens with 12 and to a lesser but still important extent with 17. Once those two are final, the rest of the decisions will be made. 

5 hours ago, Hawkfan191 said:

I didn't watch him as much as I wanted too, but anyone have any thoughts on how Yosh played?

On the deep pass to Davante where the commenting duo gushed about M4's ability to creatively take Davante away from Ramsey, Yosh blocked two edge rushers on the same play.  He didn't stonewall them, but he got enough of both of them to keep Rodgers clean for the throw.  That was some impressive stuff to me.

33 minutes ago, VonKarman said:

No way we cut Turner with the deal he has. You don't cut a starting level OT who's gonna make less than 6M. You might wanna extend him though.

I wouldn't cut him either.  But I would let Nijman compete for a job in camp.  I dig Nijman.  And if can beat out Turner, then Nijman is even better than I think he is.  Turner is a really good football player.