2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

58 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Love the Nijman trian rolling down the tracks. Had some good had some bad. Definitely not the elite pass protector guy yet. His doubles with Runyan got some major movement.  Bosa's lateral movement combined with his strength was obviously too much for him on more than one occasion. But he's not the first guy to struggle there and he was fighting. So thats nice. Everyone else that lined up over him was erased. But I dont really think theres any names there. I enjoyed his stuff, room to grow. Valuable PT.

Can see the vet vs noob competion. Nijman V Norman and Williams V Stokes. The vets won both engagements on near identical plays. Norman was able to survive and string it out while Trent just demolishes Stokes lol. 

Stokes vs any lineman will end pretty much like that. Don’t know the play with Norman you’re referring to but anytime a tackle has a head of steam running out on the edge, no DB will be expected to win that matchup. I guess Norman is currently out with “bruised lungs” so he might have bit off more than he could chew. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Stokes vs any lineman will end pretty much like that. Don’t know the play with Norman you’re referring to but anytime a tackle has a head of steam running out on the edge, no DB will be expected to win that matchup. I guess Norman is currently out with “bruised lungs” so he might have bit off more than he could chew. 

Eh Trent is on one. Lining up that block isnt easy. Dudes playing possessed. Chucked Stokes 7 yards, you dont see murder that gruesome every game. Trents been chucking people around this season, gotta give him props or get him tested. 

The difference between the two was Norman had the opportunity to string it out while Stokes was on a goalline stand. It was just a near identical play we ran where the vet players showed better. Learning experience for Stokes, dont take on Trent Williams heads up.

Aaron Jones helmet to Normans ribs is what did that. 

"Packers OL coach Adam Stenavich says David Bakhtiari took Yosh Nijman aside on the bench after his rough first drive. “He was just kind of making sure Yosh was good to go one-on-one.” Nijman obviously played much better after that opening drive in his first career start.

Adam Stenavich says he was focused on coaching the OL as a whole, and David Bakhtiari sat next to Yosh Nijman on bench entire game Sunday night, helping him one-on-one. Bakhtiari's presence felt, even on PUP"

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Myers officially  goes to IR.  He’s had a very solid start but the finger injury and now the knee injury are derailing his development. I think he’ll get back in several weeks and can hopefully get back on track. 

Meanwhile, Lucas Patrick continues to step in and handle business as he always does.  Not spectacular but solid enough to start. I’m a bigger fan of his than many but did feel he was the only moderate trade asset we had near the end of camp. For the contract he’s playing at, he brings huge value to this line.  Glad we have him right now.  Keep punching above your weight, LP!

36 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Myers officially  goes to IR.  He’s had a very solid start but the finger injury and now the knee injury are derailing his development. I think he’ll get back in several weeks and can hopefully get back on track. 

Meanwhile, Lucas Patrick continues to step in and handle business as he always does.  Not spectacular but solid enough to start. I’m a bigger fan of his than many but did feel he was the only moderate trade asset we had near the end of camp. For the contract he’s playing at, he brings huge value to this line.  Glad we have him right now.  Keep punching above your weight, LP!

Your last line sums up the collective attitude towards Patrick and I really don't understand it. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of offensive lineman.

Patrick has been a quality starter whenever he's been in the lineup, G or C. He put up a comparable PFF grade to perennial All-Universe Elgton Jenkins in '20. He won the starting LG job coming out of camp, beating out Runyan fair and square, played well in the opener, suffered the concussion and then somehow never regained his job, as if training camp never happened. Then he sat on the bench and watched a rookie be one of the leagues worst performing IOL starters. Patrick is going to start at C for at least a few more weeks and then he'll likely head back to the bench, while the guy he beat out in camp will get the RG job.

Poor guy.

Dont Laugh Oops GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Your last line sums up the collective attitude towards Patrick and I really don't understand it. He's the Rodney Dangerfield of offensive lineman.

Patrick has been a quality starter whenever he's been in the lineup, G or C. He put up a comparable PFF grade to perennial All-Universe Elgton Jenkins in '20. He won the starting LG job coming out of camp, beating out Runyan fair and square, played well in the opener, suffered the concussion and then somehow never regained his job, as if training camp never happened. Then he sat on the bench and watched a rookie be one of the leagues worst performing IOL starters. Patrick is going to start at C for at least a few more weeks and then he'll likely head back to the bench, while the guy he beat out in camp will get the RG job.

Poor guy.

Either literally everyone else, including his coaches, are wrong or youre right.

Edited by HighCalebR

7 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Poor guy.

I think Newman had some plus performances in camp while Patrick had some average ones. The upside of developing the rookie at RG was probably a factor but he’s had some ups and downs. Lucas has done an admirable  job and is a tough, smart guy even if he’s not an NFL star athlete.  We’ll see how they decide to set the line when the preferred starters are back.  Of course that assumes everyone gets and stays healthy and that is not a safe assumption this year. 

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Frankly when 69 comes back, Runyan should be the RG, but I'm pretty sure they'll stick with Newman. He better get his head out of his *** though on those missed assignments. Resulted in 2 sacks against the Bears and those can be difference makers in tight games. 

Or season killers if the franchise takes too many hits. This is not the year to start the Love movement. I used to rewatch games and really try to focus on the line (don’t have all 22 so that’s the easiest to see). Haven’t done much of that this year so basically going on first impressions. I’ve seen Newman show decent feet and ok strength on some snaps and definitely get blown up on others. Chi is a nasty front, with another coming up this week. I’m with you on Runyan getting RG snaps and letting the rook redshirt, learn and grow. We’ll see what Steno thinks soon. 

1 hour ago, Les Punting said:

Poor guy.

You got to let the Royce Newman thing go man. Rookies on the interior are going to make mistakes, especially if you're rotating in Centers next to them, one of whom is another rookie.

He's allowed 4 sacks this year. All on 3rd and long against pressure packages, 3 of them against exotic blitzes that were communication errors. He's allowed his sacks to Cameron Jordan, Arik Armstead, Kahlil Mack, and Akiem Hicks. 

He's not getting beat physically, and his pressure numbers are just fine. We've just had the misreads and communication breakdowns. 

That will get better with reps and time. He's going to be a good player. We just need to be patient. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

You got to let the Royce Newman thing go man. Rookies on the interior are going to make mistakes, especially if you're rotating in Centers next to them, one of whom is another rookie. He's allowed 4 sacks this year. All on 3rd and long against pressure packages, 3 of them against exotic blitzes that were communication errors. He's allowed his sacks to Cameron Jordan, Arik Armstead, Kahlil Mack, and Akiem Hicks. He's not getting beat physically, and his pressure numbers are just fine. We've just had the misreads and communication breakdowns. 

That will get better with reps and time. He's going to be a good player. We just need to be patient.

Agree. I'm not an OL guy but I thought Newman the biggest reach to get meaningful snaps this year. Just read like he needed some time - so - I'm pleased overall with how he's performed. Cant say how high his ceiling is but I think he's gonna supply us with some steady play.

With Myer's showing he'll belong - that means two OL hits in the same draft - which works for me  👍

2 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Either literally everyone else, including his coaches, are wrong or youre right.

Unless Patrick scribbled Runyan's name off the depth chart and penciled himself in, it was the coaches who named him the #1 LG coming out of camp. Nothing Patrick did in week 1 should've lost him the job. He was fine. Runyan has been OK and they likely think he has some upside that can be realized in season. He might. He's probably a better pass protector. But when it comes to Newman, yes, the coaches and literally everyone else who thinks he's a better player than Patrick right now are wrong. Regularly giving up sacks is a bad thing. The worst thing, really.

7 minutes ago, Les Punting said:

Unless Patrick scribbled Runyan's name off the depth chart and penciled himself in, it was the coaches who named him the #1 LG coming out of camp. Nothing Patrick did in week 1 should've lost him the job. He was fine. Runyan has been OK and they likely think he has some upside that can be realized in season. He might. He's probably a better pass protector. But when it comes to Newman, yes, the coaches and literally everyone else who thinks he's a better player than Patrick right now are wrong. Regularly giving up sacks is a bad thing. The worst thing, really.

Coming back.  It was a near flip of the coin coming out of preseason. They went with the vet. Shocker. He got injured the other side of the coin came in.