2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

13 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Henry Black at 25 actually seems high. Not to rag on @ThatJerkDave's guy, but he had a bad game at safety. Makes me wonder whether we should be looking to add a third safety given how much we play that 3S look. Team seems to have soured on Vernon Scott who I thought was going to be that guy. 

Do you think it is a pattern with Black? I think he has been fine.  I don't think it was any worse than games we have seen from King or Sullivan (who had a really good game this Sunday).  Also, did I say that Henry Black was one of my guys?  I honestly don't remember.  I do know that I said that he was the best DB on the Packers in the preseason, and I will stick by that.  This was the first game where anyone noticed that he was doing poorly, and he has played in 26% of our defensive snaps.  He has a 109.7 passer rating against, but is that truly the best evaluating tool for a safety, who probably isn't in man-to-man all that often?

I do know that Vernon Scott is one of my guys, and he has played 3 STs snaps this season.  I don't know if he is still hurt, but at a certain point, you have to **** or get off the pot.  

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Yah, the Jaylon Smith lottery ticket hasn't hit yet.  

O-line wise, why do we need to pick from Newman or Runyan?

Let's do both.  Jenkins plays center.  Runyan LG.  Newman RG.   ...once Bakh returns, and if Myers still isn't ready.

Do you think Newman at RG is better than Patrick at C? I don't, but I'm not necessarily getting into a fight about it either.

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Do you think Newman at RG is better than Patrick at C? I don't, but I'm not necessarily getting into a fight about it either.

Whoever it is, JJ Watt is going to be staring at them all night long so they'd better be ready for a fight. 

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

If it were me, I'd have started Patrick over Newman from the opening game.  But like you, I'm not going to fight against Patrick or Newman or Runyan at RG.

Newman certainly has Patrick on upside.  

JJ is going to curb stomp either one a few times during the game.  I think Newman has it in him to play a little dirty and scrap it out.  Patrick is too Duke to play that way.

• 2 weeks later...

Somehow this got buried in a different thread, thanks @deltarich87for pointing it out. Sucks for Myers, I was hoping for a non surgical rehab. Here’s to his speedy recovery and Patrick’s good health. 

Waiting on 69 like a stimulus check about to hit in direct deposit. C’mon, Dave! This is a great time to quietly slip in the backdoor and start kickin A like you were born to do. 

Edited by Refugee

• 2 weeks later...

Here we are, about to play the 11th game this season and it looks like Bakhtiari will sit at least one more week. I shouldn’t be surprised with such a severe injury that happened in January but I was still pretty hopeful he’d be in there at this point. The line has had some ups and downs but that is expected with so many moving pieces and so many young guys holding down the fort. I believe the huge discrepancy in our RZ offense is as simple as the OLine not getting the job done like they were last year.

So, when we hopefully very soon get 69 back and have no more injuries, who is the first man off of the line?  I’m assumin’ Newman with LP staying at  center and Runyan going to RG but maybe they don’t like moving him around and have Jenkins go to center with LP to his right. I feel like you shouldn’t mess with the center QB continuity until you have to and Jenkins at LG (and really anywhere) is a beast.

This is the unit that has to improve as we get into the end of the year and with some health, we have a very good chance to do so. 

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Here we are, about to play the 11th game this season and it looks like Bakhtiari will sit at least one more week. I shouldn’t be surprised with such a severe injury that happened in January but I was still pretty hopeful he’d be in there at this point. The line has had some ups and downs but that is expected with so many moving pieces and so many young guys holding down the fort. I believe the huge discrepancy in our RZ offense is as simple as the OLine not getting the job done like they were last year.

So, when we hopefully very soon get 69 back and have no more injuries, who is the first man off of the line?  I’m assumin’ Newman with LP staying at  center and Runyan going to RG but maybe they don’t like moving him around and have Jenkins go to center with LP to his right. I feel like you shouldn’t mess with the center QB continuity until you have to and Jenkins at LG (and really anywhere) is a beast.

This is the unit that has to improve as we get into the end of the year and with some health, we have a very good chance to do so. 

I honestly don't think he will be back until after the bye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toddfather said:

I honestly don't think he will be back until after the bye.

Seems about right, and man I wish we had him at full throttle in the Minnydome or vs. LAR. I really hope there are  no setbacks and they are just being extra cautious.  No matter what, getting into January as strong as possible is the most important thing but we could use reinforcements as we chase this HFA. 

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Seems about right, and man I wish we had him at full throttle in the Minnydome or vs. LAR. I really hope there are  no setbacks and they are just being extra cautious.  No matter what, getting into January as strong as possible is the most important thing but we could use reinforcements as we chase this HFA. 

I want home field advantage too but here is the question and I think the answer is easy. I'd give up homefield advantage to have all of our guys who could come back this year, back and healthy. 

Jaire, Bak, Z, Gary and Myers back and healthy would be a bigger boost for the team than home field advantage. 

Love to be greedy and get both but is that likely? Probably not. 

Ben Braden to the 53, Jenkins on season ending IR. Man, we could use some good fortune on the injury front but especially for this Oline group. 69’s return keeps getting pushed back and the line keeps taking hits. This will make things much more difficult in January but now these young guys need to step up their game.

LT - Yosh Nijman, LG - Jon Runyan, C - Lucas Patrick, RG - Royce Newman, RT - Billy Turner

Backups - Ben Braden, Jake Hanson, Dennis Kelly

This may well be the OL for the remainder of the 2021 season, do people believe the Packers can win a SB with this collection for the offensive front?   

1 hour ago, R T said:

LT - Yosh Nijman, LG - Jon Runyan, C - Lucas Patrick, RG - Royce Newman, RT - Billy Turner

Backups - Ben Braden, Jake Hanson, Dennis Kelly

This may well be the OL for the remainder of the 2021 season, do people believe the Packers can win a SB with this collection for the offensive front?   

Yes.

Only because it is basically what we have played since week one.

Getting Bakh back means we still have a "plus" at LT.  Runyan has been solid.  Newman is up and down, but playing alright.  Turner is solid.  Patrick has been solid, and Myers might come back.

It is not ideal, but we've won with a similar line all season.