2021 Green Bay Offensive Line

Refugee

20 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Patrick has played quality snaps for us, but definitely can be replaced. His ceiling has likely  been achieved but he’s made his mark as an udfa. He had a concussion going into the week so Runyan got the work in practice.

I always watch the line but haven’t rewatched anything for detail, I saw Runyan hold his own and get pushed around a bit. He’s a guy I want to see get snaps, not just because of the name, I think he could really develop.

We’ll get to see how the youngins do on the road and then back home against some good fronts. Hope Jenkins’ ankle is feeling much better by then. 

I noticed that we got some nice run yards going over Runyan.

Also noticed a sack was given up when Runyan's guy looped around the end, and he did not "pass" him to Jenkins as Jenkins was locked up with his guy and being forced in side.  Runyan couldn't recover from the stunt in time.

That's the little stuff that can get cleaned up with reps, both in practice and during the game.  It's the kind of stunt that Bakh and Jenkins crushed for a few years.

• Like 1

Little PFF stuff after week 2.

Myers, #4 center with a score of 74.1.  (Lindsley is #26 with a score of 52)

Runyan, #5 G with a score of 79.6.

Patrick, #11 G with a score of 73.9.

Newman, #53 with a score of 52.7.

Jenkins, #8 with a score of 75.2.

Turner, #14 with a score of 70.7.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Little PFF stuff after week 2.

Myers, #4 center with a score of 74.1.  (Lindsley is #26 with a score of 52)

Runyan, #5 G with a score of 79.6.

Patrick, #11 G with a score of 73.9.

Newman, #53 with a score of 52.7.

Jenkins, #8 with a score of 75.2.

Turner, #14 with a score of 70.7.

5 guys inside the top 15 at their position is very impressive. Newman at 53 is pretty good to since he's a 4th round rookie still learning. Throw in the fact your top offensive lineman is out and that is some depth. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

5 guys inside the top 15 at their position is very impressive. Newman at 53 is pretty good to since he's a 4th round rookie still learning. Throw in the fact your top offensive lineman is out and that is some depth. 

I was pretty shocked when I saw the scores.  Maybe our o-line wasn't that bad against the Saints after all.

Patrick's score really did shock me.  As did Myers.

• Like 1

Really liked how the young guys took up the challenge on the road last night.  Steno and Butkus get a lot of credit for getting these guys prepared but ultimately the young guys that stepped up deserve the praise.

We will have plenty of challenges ahead but the kind of injuries we’ve had on the OL can really derail a team. Let’s hope to see guys getting healthier and the young guys developing from the heat of the moment. If we get everyone back, this is a top notch unit. 

one critique, on the failed 4th and goal, 12 was barking at Myers.  I don’t know if the snap got out late or there was a missed block. I have no idea what the call was but I hope Coach considers how that could have flipped momentum out of our favor. Either kick the fg or be really sure your guys can get that yard, every time. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Really liked how the young guys took up the challenge on the road last night.  Steno and Butkus get a lot of credit for getting these guys prepared but ultimately the young guys that stepped up deserve the praise.

We will have plenty of challenges ahead but the kind of injuries we’ve had on the OL can really derail a team. Let’s hope to see guys getting healthier and the young guys developing from the heat of the moment. If we get everyone back, this is a top notch unit. 

one critique, on the failed 4th and goal, 12 was barking at Myers.  I don’t know if the snap got out late or there was a missed block. I have no idea what the call was but I hope Coach considers how that could have flipped momentum out of our favor. Either kick the fg or be really sure your guys can get that yard, every time. 

Yeah .. can't say enough about how that line performed last night .. just excellent.  

I too was miffed by what transpired on that 4th down play .. the whole thing was a disjointed  mess. 

I'm going to be really interested when the next PFF grades come out.

From watching the game, here's what I noticed on the OL.

We helped Nijman a lot of different ways.  He held his own against a great player.  Honestly it looks to me like he's next in line for the Lane Taylor, Lucas Patrick type contract.

I didn't hear that Patrick was injured, so Runyan must flat out look better to the coaches.  We did get some good runs behind Runyan.

Our rookie center is really playing well.  First, he's huge.  But he's also quick and strong.  He is a mountain in there.

I did not notice Newman, good or bad.  But when there was pressure, it looked like it was from the right side of the line.

Turner, again, didn't notice him much.

You really can't ask for a much better OL performance with your top 2 guys out and starting two rookies, one second year player and one third year player who really hasn't seen any meaningful snaps on offense in his career.  Just a really nice job by the coaches and players.

Sometimes I think of the not too distant past, with Bakhtiari, T.J.Lang, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga as the starting O line. Only one of them still with the team and he is on IR. The group they DID field held up very nicely against SanFran, no doubt helped by Rodgers average snap-to-throw time of just over 2 seconds. I have always 'had it in for' Patrick, though he has had his moments. As down as I've been on Patrick, I've been equally 'up' on Runyan, even when he has had his mistakes.

It's pretty amazing to think that the O line last night was third-string undrafted FA LT (in year 2), who had never started before and previously played all of 14 snaps there. Next to him was Runyan (year 2), who was next to Myers (rookie), then RG Newman (rookie) next to the one vet, RT Turner (8 years). With Bakh, and Jenkins injured, and against the pretty healthy and extremely dangerous 49ers front, they held up well overall. When the Packers get back to starters Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, possibly Runyan and Turner, that is a unit with both the quality you want and enough depth to deal with an injury anywhere.

Perhaps more likely though, is the loss of Turner after this year, given the cap situation. There are many ways to deal with that, whether it is moving Yosh Nijman there, or Elgton Jenkins (which means a new starting guard is needed). I can't imagine Dennis Kelly is in the mix.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Sometimes I think of the not too distant past, with Bakhtiari, T.J.Lang, Linsley, Sitton, Bulaga as the starting O line. Only one of them still with the team and he is on IR. The group they DID field held up very nicely against SanFran, no doubt helped by Rodgers average snap-to-throw time of just over 2 seconds. I have always 'had it in for' Patrick, though he has had his moments. As down as I've been on Patrick, I've been equally 'up' on Runyan, even when he has had his mistakes.

It's pretty amazing to think that the O line last night was third-string undrafted FA LT (in year 2), who had never started before and previously played all of 14 snaps there. Next to him was Runyan (year 2), who was next to Myers (rookie), then RG Newman (rookie) next to the one vet, RT Turner (8 years). With Bakh, and Jenkins injured, and against the pretty healthy and extremely dangerous 49ers front, they held up well overall. When the Packers get back to starters Bakh, Jenkins, Myers, possibly Runyan and Turner, that is a unit with both the quality you want and enough depth to deal with an injury anywhere.

Perhaps more likely though, is the loss of Turner after this year, given the cap situation. There are many ways to deal with that, whether it is moving Yosh Nijman there, or Elgton Jenkins (which means a new starting guard is needed). I can't imagine Dennis Kelly is in the mix.

quite an OL coach hire from MLF that was widely panned at the time...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VonKarman said:

There's no way we cut Turner. If there's a unit where we will keep the guys it will be the OL. If cap space is needed you can always restructure and add void years.

I wouldn't go that way either next year, but if jenkins and bakh and meyers are healthy and locked in, Turner isn't someone to keep around more than 2 years.  

At some point, team needs to pay the piper and I'd prefer to just see out the turner contract, eat the 2.5M in dead cap in 2023/24 and rebuild the line around those 3.

• Like 1

Just now, skibrett15 said:

I wouldn't go that way either next year, but if jenkins and bakh and meyers are healthy and locked in, Turner isn't someone to keep around more than 2 years.  

At some point, team needs to pay the piper and I'd prefer to just see out the turner contract, eat the 2.5M in dead cap in 2023/24 and rebuild the line around those 3.

I'm not saying extend him, just add void years if it takes that to keep him. OL and CBs is where you don't wanna underspend.