Titans to trade for Julio Jones (Revisited-12/20/21)

Titans fan 617

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

This seems impossible.

This whole thing has me excited about AJ as much as it does about Julio.  AJ has been really open about Julio being his hero since he got into the league, and having him there just seems like the kind of thing that will push AJ to be (somehow) even better.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
13 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just revisiting this:

What other options were there? 
Was there a trade we could have made?

Sign Corey back to a big deal?
Sign JuJu or Golladay?
Trade up for a WR in the draft?

Of all our moves I don't really regret this trade. We just need to get everyone healthy for the playoffs.

We've got a small window with the talent and I don't regret trying to make a push. We got destroyed with injuries; otherwise I think we'd be firmly one of the top AFC teams.

If I could go back 20 20 hindsight. I don't know what effort we put in to bring Jonnu back, but I would have put in more and tried everything we could to match as close as the Pats did. 

Then I would have traded up to find something in the draft or took a wr earlier. 

Elijah Moore. 

Took a right tackle with the first pick. 

No Julio. 

Edited by twotonebluenation

Ideal scenario was always to sign a veteran receiver and either move up in the second or back in the first for a receiver. Bateman, E. Moore or R. Moore.  The Julio trade became such a massive move for me because we had completely neglected the position.

Still appreciate the trade and understand the win now move. Just hasn’t worked out. 

• Like 1

pretty cut-and-dry case of "worth a shot, just didn't work out." in hindsight i'd say you pay corey but i believe the word at the time was he was always looking for a #1 WR spot in a more pass-heavy offense, so not sure that we could've even drawn him back without massively overpaying.

2 hours ago, twotonebluenation said:

If I could go back 20 20 hindsight. I don't know what effort we put in to bring Jonnu back, but I would have put in more and tried everything we could to match as close as the Pats did. 

Then I would have traded up to find something in the draft or took a wr earlier. 

Elijah Moore. 

Took a right tackle with the first pick. 

No Julio. 

I would have taken Moore with the first pick 

I have no faith that Farley is ever going to be healthy 

Farley barely even got his feet wet so who knows when we see him next season and for how long 

Going into the draft Moore and Barmore were the 2 I really wanted but as we got closer to draft night I really wanted it to be Moore 

I also wish we had found a way to bring Jonnu back 

I know the money he got from the Pats was a lot but maybe tagging him as trying to extend him was the better way to go 

• Like 1

So what I had hope for when the offseason started was signing Marvin Jones to be our #2 guy, resigning Jonnu and drafting a guy to be our #3 WR who becomes our #2 guy by hopefully the 2022 season. Now financially I don’t know if that would’ve been possible.

Once that didn’t happen, I was all aboard the trade for Julio train and still think it was the right decision. The concern about his hamstrings being made of string cheese unfortunately looks to be true, but this was a risk we needed to take if we wanted to be a legit Super Bowl team.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

So what I had hope for when the offseason started was signing Marvin Jones to be our #2 guy, resigning Jonnu and drafting a guy to be our #3 WR who becomes our #2 guy by hopefully the 2022 season. Now financially I don’t know if that would’ve been possible.

Once that didn’t happen, I was all aboard the trade for Julio train and still think it was the right decision. The concern about his hamstrings being made of string cheese unfortunately looks to be true, but this was a risk we needed to take if we wanted to be a legit Super Bowl team.

I wanted Marvin Jones very badly 

The problem with the Julio move isn't the Julio trade itself it's the lack of depth we put around him. I wanted Elijah Moore badly regardless of what we did on the Julio front. I loved the trade. It was a win now move and we went for it. Julio is without a doubt a future HOFer, but we put all our eggs into the basket of a 32 year with a history of hamstring injuries along with AJ who has had his own injury concerns. This was bound to happen, and it's kind of hard to believe that our FO didn't plan for it by adding legitimate depth at the position.