What are the greatest almost comebacks in NFL history?

TecmoSuperJoe

6 hours ago, RussianJag said:

Saints vs Jags 2003

https://youtu.be/m4ZBT3BWaj4

I remember watching that live. That was like the second year where I was actually really into the NFL. I had no stakes in that game whatsoever, and still I remember feeling like physical pain for Carney when that happened. Simultaneously one of my favorite football game endings ever, but just brutal to think about at the same time.

I had forgotten, the 1994 meeting between two of the top sky maestros in the league, Marino and Moon. This was a gem of a game that for whatever reason, rarely gets talked about. It was week 4. Marino and the Dolphins fell behind in the Metrodome 28-0. But they stormed back in the second half under the guidance of Marino, and actually tied the game at 28-28. The Vikings held on though to win 38-35. BTW, the pocket waltz by Marino was just the best ever. 

On 6/9/2021 at 11:59 PM, Awsi Dooger said:

The 1981 Miami/San Diego playoff matchup is the most overrated NFL game of all time. Two slob teams that were incredibly vulnerable. In many ways it was an insulting game. As a Dolphin fan I basically stopped caring who ended up on top, because either team was guaranteed to be toyed with the following week. 

Contrast to that 1973 Monday Night game. Check those rosters. One Hall of Famer after another. Those two teams combined to win all four Super Bowls between 1972 and 1975. The caliber of the two teams was light years superior to that 1981 season garbage.

SD had a Pro Bowl-type offense, but their defense was at it's weakest that year after trading Fred Dean. Don Coryell was running soft training camps, and there was an NFL player (from a 1982 issue of SI) that said that there were drug problems on that team (and that it prevented them from winning multiple Super Bowls).

As for the Dolphins, I think those 81 and 82 teams were big overachievers. They didn't have a whole lot on offense, especially at QB, and they had a light defense that was ran over by Riggo in SB 17. Their 83 team was their best of that 1981-85 run, in my opinion. Marino played well his rookie year, they had RB David Overstreet (before his 1984 death), and they still had DC Bill Arnsparger.

They did make the SB in 84, but the loss of Arnsparger would be felt, and so was the loss of Overstreet. By 1986, the Dolphins were 8-8, and they would stay at that level the next few years because their weaknesses finally caught up to them, and because Shula was a bad drafter (passing on Thurman Thomas was the biggest mistake).