Training Camp 2021

Bobby816

Pretty happy with everything. Zach looked good, running game looked good, defense looks fast, and play calling makes sense.

We just need to figure out the TE and K positions. Aside from that, we look good. We’re ahead of where I thought we were.

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Mims casually leading the team in receiving. 

Im pulling for the guy and want him to win the  relevant spot in the WR core, but I gotta ask. Is he leading the stats because he played well or because he played more late snaps against lesser competition?

Legit question. I couldn't watch the game. HAven't seen any highlights yet either.

1 hour ago, drew39k said:

Im pulling for the guy and want him to win the  relevant spot in the WR core, but I gotta ask. Is he leading the stats because he played well or because he played more late snaps against lesser competition?

Legit question. I couldn't watch the game. HAven't seen any highlights yet either.

Mix of both. He played against backups but made legitimate plays out here. Also had a couple plays left on the field because White and Morgan aren’t as good as Wilson and missed him. 

Highlights for me were…..

Mims is up to the challenge to earn snaps. It’s a great attitude to have.

Carter needs to be our RB who gets the most touches.

The ball will get spread around making it hard for any WR to look like a star. But Davis looks to have a good connection with Wilson.

Huff needs to start opposite Lawson.

Secondary actually held up good. I know it’s against backups. But besides a few plays. They weren’t a weakness like we thought.

• Like 1

I think that Bryce Huff might be a good find for us, he looks legit.  First time we are going to have a legit pass rush in years. 

Our defense might be better than people realize. 

Its preseason but seeing 5 sacks 10 QB hits like a actual NFL team is pretty cool, so used to seeing us with 0s in those categories. 

Edited by NYJets4716
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Highlights for me were…..

Mims is up to the challenge to earn snaps. It’s a great attitude to have.

Carter needs to be our RB who gets the most touches.

The ball will get spread around making it hard for any WR to look like a star. But Davis looks to have a good connection with Wilson.

Huff needs to start opposite Lawson.

Secondary actually held up good. I know it’s against backups. But besides a few plays. They weren’t a weakness like we thought.

Huff will be the Dee Ford. No way he’s starting over JFM in base tho. Run defense still matters. 

I watched the taped game in the morning so I tried to remember what I saw.  eh?

Defensive side,  I only recognized an immediate standout and it was Bryce Huff.

Offensive side:

Run game (RB and OL) has mixed results.  Lamical Perine played the most snaps but he ran into wall for most of time.  Only two plays of his looked promising. 1) Run outside with good speed. 2) Head lower to power thru for TD.  I think the left side of OL outpeformed the right side of OL. One on one battles in short yard situation were that bad, though.

Wide Receiver:

Jamison Crowder had played well enough not to be removed from starting job. 

Denzel Mims registered the most statistic via dink and dunk offense (DnD) in 2nd half but his excellent YAC was the reason he led the team in receiving yards, I think.

Quarterback:

I didn't see any uncertainty in Zach Wilson's action. He made all throws with ease.  His probably biggest mistake was when defender bumped Corey Davis off the route in red zone I was not sure if Wilson saw that or not but he threw anyway.

Mike White played consistently in DnD but he suffered one bad throw when he lost the accuracy point as Vyncint Smith was open ahead of defenders.  If caught, Smith may run for a TD there.

James Morgan made his first pro "game" debut. His arm strength is clearly the strongest on the roster.  He made many good throws in DnD but the worst one was when Josh Malone(?) beat defender on short slant route with open space ahead of him Morgan corked hard throw at him. With a good touch on football, Malone could run for long extra yards.

If Jets carry 3 qbs, White may be the safest bet but Morgan could get ahead of him with better result in final 2 preseason games.  I still think Jets may strategically limit Morgan so that way NFL won't touch him during the waiver period before adding him to PS.  I would say Jets carry 2 qbs on the active roster with Morgan on PS.  I don't know if White is eligible to be on PS for another season.  It is irrelevant if Wilson manages to stay healthy and play all 17 games.

Edited by JetsandI

Solid game overall. The defense could have the potential to keep them in most games. As long as the secondary can play average 

ZW didn’t look rattled or overwhelmed at any point and took care of the ball. Can’t ask him to do more than that. Keep giving Mims a lot of playing time in the PS please.

It’ll be nice to get QW, AVT, and Moore back soon too

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Huff will be the Dee Ford. No way he’s starting over JFM in base tho. Run defense still matters. 

I mean how many teams are really going to commutes to the run against us. This is probably our best front 7 in a very long time. Teams won’t waste their time if they hold up like they should. Meaning it should give opportunity to the pass rush. I see a lot of teams maybe doing quick screens instead of running the ball against us.