return of cobb

FinneasGage

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

Funny - sports media folks - who have been expounding on rumors associated to AR for weeks - and trashing the team/organization - are dumping on the idea of (now) placating AR and bringing Cobb back - again, trashing the organization.  I'm telling ya.....in this star driven media market - teams just cant win. 

They NEVER talk about the cap in these monologues. Never. It doesnt exist in their world.

Hence my question "did they come out with the costs yet?

They were citing a cost of "10M for a washed up slot guy" - as if they knew the details.
No way this thing escalated *upwards* to 10M. At 8M it's way too much IMO.

Rodgers was directly asked about the cap considerations today and he basically says the same thing dumbass Brandon Marshall says when he’s asked about it on TV: “I’m sure there are ways to work around it” - okay, thanks man 

1 minute ago, MrBobGray said:

Honestly the fact they were willing to do this at all confirms that LaFleur wasn't happy with his slot options on the team and they were looking to improve them.  There's certain roles it's pretty clear LaFleur sees as essential to the offense, and they'll put the resources into trying to find em.  A move TE who can block in space is clearly one; they tried it with Danny Vitale in 2019, drafted Deguara when Vitale was a bust, and picked up multiple off the street after Deguara hit IR.  This year it's pretty clearly true slots; they tried Ervin and Austin, didn't work so they draft a guy in the 3rd, trade for Cobb, and snagged some insurance in the 7th with Hill.  I realize Hill is a clear RB, but he's got enough receiving talent that he can get snaps in that role if they somehow lose Cobb and Rodgers for a spell.

It's clear that this is a concession to Rodgers as well, but I don't think they'd have made the moves if it didn't fit with what they want on offense too.  Think MLF saw how much they missed a guy who could make use of all that space their outside guys were creating and set Gute to the task of filling the hole.  Cobb isn't the guy he used to be, but he could easily put up a repeat of his 2019 numbers with enough snaps in this offense.

Yeah - but they have 2020's #3 pick returning - given how early last year he was injured / had surgery, he should be expected to hit the ground running no? - and 2021's #3 pick as well.

Why dont those fill the void?

1 minute ago, Isherwood said:

Rodgers was directly asked about the cap considerations today and he basically says the same thing dumbass Brandon Marshall says when he’s asked about it on TV: “I’m sure there are ways to work around it” - okay, thanks man 

I cant listen to Marshall. He's so "all in" for star players, he loses all objectivity.

• Like 1

This screams "mentor" to me. Sure, Rodgers wants him back because of past history, but we all know Cobb will be a bearkiller and nothing more as a player. On the other hand, we have a ton of young guys on that roster including Amari Rodgers in which a loose relationship already exists. Personally, I think Rodgers will easily be our WR1 post-Davante simply because his game is similar to that of Davante's, yet his personal ties are to Cobb. In other words, he gets to learn from both.

Name me a receiver who wouldn't jump at that kind of opportunity, I'll wait...

Also @MrBobGray, Vitale was only a bust because he couldn't stay healthy. IIRC, New England gave him a chance after we cut him and his body just couldn't deal with the NFL. He retired last month.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/danny-vitale-former-nfl-fullback-announces-retirement-from-league-on-linkedin/

4 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I mean, Cobb has confirmed this is happening, how have we not heard about the compensation side of this trade yet?

Haven't heard, it might be one of those conditional deals depending his performance?

41 minutes ago, Cpdaly23 said:

I mean, Cobb has confirmed this is happening, how have we not heard about the compensation side of this trade yet?

They're trying to figure out how they're messing with the contract before they do it right?

3 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

:( 

I thought it would be 3.5-4 at first but that's a lot for them to eat. I didn't see 5.5mil though. That's just silly. He really better catch the SB game winner now

Edited by Norm