return of cobb

FinneasGage

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF a player wants to leave, they'd give up guaranteed money to do so.  But there's a dozen different ways to move money around.  If they convert part of his base salary into a signing bonus prior to the trade, the Packers would be on the hook for less.

what are the other 11 ways?

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what are the other 11 ways?

Left, right, up, down.  Behind your back, over your shoulder, between the legs, under the mattress, inside the pillowcase.  Under the rug, out the window, up your ***

I think that is 11

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Agreed. It's Rodgers searching for SOMETHING that he could pretend to exert control over. He went out looking for something and found Cobb and then convinced himself THAT was the hill he would die on to return.

I agree that Cobb isn't done, but he's a bit of an awkward fit on this roster. Happy to have him back CHEAP though. Odds are some WR will get hurt in pre-season.

As a receiver here Rodgers might as well have demanded the Packers roll the whole year at 52 players on the roster.

Doing what Austin and Ervin were expected to do?  Cobb becomes a legit asset.

I know I mentioned it already, but I am getting serious Antonio Freeman vibes from Cobb coming back.

Freeman was 31 when he came back to the Packers.  Cobb is going to turn 31 next month (so only a few months younger than Freeman).  Both had lost a step, both went to other teams with lesser success than in GB, both return.

Freeman in his one year back was slow.  He caught 14 for 141 (10.1 avg), a 3 yd/reception drop from the previous year.  I distinctly remember his speed causing at least one interception because he didn't have the explosion to cut back to a ball Favre trusted Freeman to be able to catch.

Cobb already has 2 more years of tread than Freeman did. He's already posted 2 seasons at or below Freeman's worst (last) season for yards/reception (and 2 more within a half yard).

Hopefully it works out, but I am not hopeful he'll be an add.  Maybe he has some savvy vet stuff (and probably beats out EQ for sure), but I'd prefer Adams, MVS, Lazard and possibly (but unknown) Funchess on the field over him.

Edit: And I forgot the new Rodgers too.  So Cobb is #4 to #6 WR and (likely) doesn't play ST.

Edited by Smidgeon

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

but he's a bit of an awkward fit on this roster.

I think that's putting it mildly.  Offense favors bigger WRs who can block, or smaller fast WR who can carry the ball and use speed to test the edge - which Cobb is not.  Like, not at all.

Cobb is like a bad version of tyler ervin if you just plug him into that role.  

MLF will need to invent something different for Cobb.  Who knows, maybe it's in there but there was no cobb.  There was that baylor WR on Tennessee who caught a lot of balls, not sure if he overlapped with MLF there.

Funny - sports media folks - who have been expounding on rumors associated to AR for weeks - and trashing the team/organization - are dumping on the idea of (now) placating AR and bringing Cobb back - again, trashing the organization.  I'm telling ya.....in this star driven media market - teams just cant win. 

They NEVER talk about the cap in these monologues. Never. It doesnt exist in their world.

Hence my question "did they come out with the costs yet?

They were citing a cost of "10M for a washed up slot guy" - as if they knew the details.
No way this thing escalated *upwards* to 10M. At 8M it's way too much IMO.

• Like 1

Honestly the fact they were willing to do this at all confirms that LaFleur wasn't happy with his slot options on the team and they were looking to improve them.  There's certain roles it's pretty clear LaFleur sees as essential to the offense, and they'll put the resources into trying to find em.  A move TE who can block in space is clearly one; they tried it with Danny Vitale in 2019, drafted Deguara when Vitale was a bust, and picked up multiple off the street after Deguara hit IR.  This year it's pretty clearly true slots; they tried Ervin and Austin, didn't work so they draft a guy in the 3rd, trade for Cobb, and snagged some insurance in the 7th with Hill.  I realize Hill is a clear RB, but he's got enough receiving talent that he can get snaps in that role if they somehow lose Cobb and Rodgers for a spell.

It's clear that this is a concession to Rodgers as well, but I don't think they'd have made the moves if it didn't fit with what they want on offense too.  Think MLF saw how much they missed a guy who could make use of all that space their outside guys were creating and set Gute to the task of filling the hole.  Cobb isn't the guy he used to be, but he could easily put up a repeat of his 2019 numbers with enough snaps in this offense.

• Like 3