Preseason Week 1 GDT - Trey Lance Debut

N4L

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Very much this. Coupled with the fact that many including myself thought he went a round or two early and it looks even more damning. Like I was really expected him as a second rounder to pretty much push Brunskill into a primary backup role. That is definitely not the case. Still possible that Lynch makes a move for a vet. But it really shouldn't have to come to that. So that pick is a big fat 'L' right now. Dude isn't even really playable at this point. This has AJ Jenkins vibes to it....that ain't good.

Lol dang. He isn’t that bad. He definitely had some ugly reps but he also had some really good ones too. 

it’s way too soon to say Banks is a lost cause. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Lol dang. He isn’t that bad. He definitely had some ugly reps but he also had some really good ones too. 

Not saying he's a lost cause. No one thought Jenkins was a lost casue as a rookie. But the signs are troubling...just like they were for AJ. He should really be further along than most of our rookies. O-Line is a place where even if you're raw, you can show your worth and see the potential pretty much from the onset. Iupati was raw af coming into the league. But you could see potential. He looked worthy of being a first rounder, even though he had rough moments as a rookie. Same for guys like Anthony Davis.

Banks, coming from a school lije ND, is not in that category. He should have hit the ground running, so to speak. He just doesn't look good to me. Zero punch, very stiff and has no clue how to negate power when trying to drop his hips. Just doesn't look good to me. It's only one preseason game so it's not the end of the world but its not encouraging if I'm being objectively honest.

37 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Bolles was a guy who was older as a prospect, sucked, and then found his groove, so definitely not a lost cause. 

But his performance (and now this injury) are disconcerting. 

• Like 1

Late to the game, but I was very underwhelmed by Lance’s play, but it wasn’t unexpected by any means. He has a ways to go before he is ready to lead this team, but he showed his physical talents. At the same time I think this first game was a tad to big for him and he needs to work on a few aspects of his game, felt like he rushed a few things and made a few bad decisions, again, expected.

Jimmy is gonna start the season and, based on game 1, he should. Lance is gonna be awesome, he just showed he needs time. I don’t think two more preseason games are gonna be enough. Just my opinion.

bit that guy has a friggin rifle for an arm, no doubt about that

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Late to the game, but I was very underwhelmed by Lance’s play, but it wasn’t unexpected by any means. He has a ways to go before he is ready to lead this team, but he showed his physical talents. At the same time I think this first game was a tad to big for him and he needs to work on a few aspects of his game, felt like he rushed a few things and made a few bad decisions, again, expected.

Jimmy is gonna start the season and, based on game 1, he should. Lance is gonna be awesome, he just showed he needs time. I don’t think two more preseason games are gonna be enough. Just my opinion.

The dichotomy of his first 7 throws compared to the second 7 was crazy. He looked legit amazing in the first. He looked bad in the second 7

8 hours ago, Forge said:

The dichotomy of his first 7 throws compared to the second 7 was crazy. He looked legit amazing in the first. He looked bad in the second 7

It looked like a combination of things, too. Lance is going to be absolutely deadly when ahead of the chains and with the lead. He'll complement your running game with deep balls and with his own legs and keep bootlegs alive that have been shut down. But he didn't have a lot of straight dropbacks in college, and he's still not the happiest operating sort of seven on seven plays and two minute drills. That's part 1. Part 2 is that his supporting cast also got significantly worse when with 1b/2a guys left and the 2b/3a guys came in. The receivers stopped getting open (and didn't stop dropping the ball) and the second group of offensive linemen was atrocious, which exacerbated Lance's problems running these sorts of passing when they know you are going to pass plays. Part 3 is that he didn't scramble once and we all know that he's got the legs for it. Some of that non-scrambling was definitely because the line was so bad that it wasn't even an option. Those guys are terrible. Some of it appeared to be a conscious decision and we know already that the coaching staff has set up that kind of restriction on him before as a teaching point (as Kyle's dad learned from stories about Holmgren and others working with Steve Young.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, P_locniners said:

Yeah, I thought Lance looked like a highly talented, inexperienced rookie. I came away from this game not feeling really anything positive or negative about Lance. He's good, but needs time and the first-team Oline. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

True. They take the drops into account though. The fumble is probably what nuked his grade along with a couple of ugly throws in his limited action. 

Doesn't mean anything in the long run. All the rookies I saw, they all clearly looked like rookies. No one blew the doors off. 

Agreed 100%. You can't take anything from these games. I watched snaps from every rookie except Mac Jones- and they ALL looked like rookies. Some good throws, some head scratching throws, a few mistakes in the pocket, etc....going up against typically vanilla defenses missing starters. There's not much there to make a concrete judgement on.

The first season you hope to see potential with flashes of eye popping talent, the second season you hope to see a lot of growth, and by the third season you hope to see a franchise QB (or at least a borderline top-10 QB). Of course, not every QB follows this path, but it's a pretty good rule of thumb. 

Edited by WizeGuy
  • Like 1

Pre draft I was in the fields group, I liked the things that I saw from him and he throws a pretty ball... he had some things I saw that spooked me too.  I didnt dig into lance to much, excited that we have him and he shows all the right things.

Preseason is for overreacting right?  I will try to avoid over reacting and staying unbias at the same time ;)

I naturally want to compare the QB we got to the QB I thought we would take.  As far as how Lance moved and his area of focus he impressed me.  He kept his eyes down the field and moved well, that near interception he had was a bad read not bad ball placement (easy to say if the defender wasnt there it would be a good play... but you can just him on execution of what he saw, he just needs to learn to see a little more to not throw that).

My judgement is coming from the NFL videos of "every play from XXXX", Lance does a lot of things right.  When compared to who I wanted pre draft I am even happier.  A lot of Fields off rythem throws he has a backwards lean or he is kinda hopping with his throw, almost like a basketball jump shot but he is throwing as he is elevating, more like he is using his legs to put the touch on the ball instead of driving it with his legs.  

Overall I liked how Lance read the field and how me moved while keeping his eyes engaged to what is receivers were doing.  There are still many things he needs to see and to be aware of and I am pleased that he is on our team.  

I hope both find success but if only one does, let it be Lance.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, P_locniners said:

See, I don't think the game was too big for him. He looked poised for the most part and his flaws started to show during the 2 minute drill....But he's struggled in that area in practice as well. When he is asked to just drop back with no running threat, he's going to struggle until he gets enough reps in that situation. The thing to mention is that clearly they did not want to implement the running threat in the first preseason game and that's something he will have in the actual games. Defenses will need to play him for the run and the reads will be easier to make. But what was super promising with Lance was how he would go through his progressions and always kept his eyes down the field. He is going to have to learn to speed things up a bit but this is why him working behind that putrid back up OL in practice is doing him no favors. Do not underestimate how much of a difference that makes. Half the damn drop backs in practice would lead to sacks or potential sacks and the play just goes on but that is not realistic. Even if Shanny wants to go with Jimmy week 1, he needs to get Lance some reps behind the starting OL...He just has to. 

The one flaw in Lance is that his footwork can be sloppy on throws he misses high. It actually speaks to his arm talent that he can still rifle passes without stepping into his throws but when he doesn't, the passes just sail high. Again, he's just going to need more reps to improve there. 

I've talked about this a few times already but because he throws so hard and usually the pass sails high, he's going to get away with a lot of "interceptable" passes. You will see at the end of the season that he has like 15-17 interceptable passes yet only 6-8 were caught. And that is not going to be by accident either. Guys like Josh Allen get killed for that but it's going to continue to happen for the rest of his career. 

I'm fine with Shanny starting either QB but just know that if you start Lance now, he's going to take his lumps and will have the types of growing pains that he won't next season when the team is truly primed for a SB run. Russell Wilson won a SB in year two, Lamar Jackson had a MVP season in year with the Ravens being a DOMINANT team, Big Ben won in year two, Brady won in year (though first year of playing so he's an anomaly).....But you get my point. Even if you sit him this season, that doesn't mean his flaws automatically get corrected for next season. A lot of the things he needs to work on just comes with actually playing and getting more reps. Something to take into consideration when determining who you want as the week 1 starter. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

See, I don't think the game was too big for him. He looked poised for the most part and his flaws started to show during the 2 minute drill....But he's struggled in that area in practice as well. When he is asked to just drop back with no running threat, he's going to struggle until he gets enough reps in that situation. The thing to mention is that clearly they did not want to implement the running threat in the first preseason game and that's something he will have in the actual games. Defenses will need to play him for the run and the reads will be easier to make. But what was super promising with Lance was how he would go through his progressions and always kept his eyes down the field. He is going to have to learn to speed things up a bit but this is why him working behind that putrid back up OL in practice is doing him no favors. Do not underestimate how much of a difference that makes. Half the damn drop backs in practice would lead to sacks or potential sacks and the play just goes on but that is not realistic. Even if Shanny wants to go with Jimmy week 1, he needs to get Lance some reps behind the starting OL...He just has to. 

The one flaw in Lance is that his footwork can be sloppy on throws he misses high. It actually speaks to his arm talent that he can still rifle passes without stepping into his throws but when he doesn't, the passes just sail high. Again, he's just going to need more reps to improve there. 

I've talked about this a few times already but because he throws so hard and usually the pass sails high, he's going to get away with a lot of "interceptable" passes. You will see at the end of the season that he has like 15-17 interceptable passes yet only 6-8 were caught. And that is not going to be by accident either. Guys like Josh Allen get killed for that but it's going to continue to happen for the rest of his career. 

I'm fine with Shanny starting either QB but just know that if you start Lance now, he's going to take his lumps and will have the types of growing pains that he won't next season when the team is truly primed for a SB run. Russell Wilson won a SB in year two, Lamar Jackson had a MVP season in year with the Ravens being a DOMINANT team, Big Ben won in year two, Brady won in year (though first year of playing so he's an anomaly).....But you get my point. Even if you sit him this season, that doesn't mean his flaws automatically get corrected for next season. A lot of the things he needs to work on just comes with actually playing and getting more reps. Something to take into consideration when determining who you want as the week 1 starter. 

Agree. I'll take the bumpy road now than next year.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:41 PM, Forge said:

James has been a disaster this off season. I don't know how he makes the roster at this point. I just can't trust him as a receiver and he's simply not good enough overall as a returner. 

Aiyuk, Deebo, Sanu, Sherfield, Jennings should be the top 5. 

I think a lot of us wanted us to get a slot receiver / punt returner this offseason. Even if james makes the roster, he isnt someone I want returning punts. He is a decent enough KR but I absolutely would be looking for an upgrade somewhere