Preseason Game1 Seahawks at Raiders GDT

agarcia34

2 hours ago, Totty said:

My biggest takeaway.  Guys were flying around.  Knew what their task was.  Aside from one busted play which, will happen from time to time... We looked solid on defense.  I'm not in any way saying it proves anything, except it looks like we're more comfortable on the defensive side of the ball.  Which at the end of the day, is improvement.  

Last year we looked absolutely lost on D. Looking like we even understand what D is is improvement in my book 

4 hours ago, Turnobili said:

Peterman looks really sharp out there... I know its backups against backups but he does have good command of the offense. Quick decisions, uses his feet well. Nice reclamation project for Gruden. Full time backup duties after Mariota's contract is up?

Yes.

Peterman was set up for failure with what the Bills gave him. 

Not saying he's a potential stud franchise guy, but I thought he looked solid last preseason too. 

He's one of those guys I feel far better than his NFL record calls for. Trade Mariota ASAP imo. I think Peterman could keep a competent team afloat as well as Mariota, all things considered.

4 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not get it.  Gamepass is playing every game except Rams Chargers and the Raiders.  Fortunately CBS ABC and NFL Network are playing the Rams Chargers game.

Thanks for all the updates guys. I gave game pass but couldn't find the Raiders game at all! It just wasn't on mine I don't think 🤔

DT may not actually be the worst part on this defense. That position has be intrigued. Philon plays with a lot of energy and his get off is very noticeable. If McCoy can be half of what he has been in his career. Jefferson, McCoy and Philon will be able to provide a nice rotation. Don’t know what happens to Thomas at this point. 

• Like 1

For those that were lucky enough to watch the game:

How did the new Gus Bradley defence look? Anyone stand out in particular?

Did players look out of position or confused?

GB says he wants to play fast and keep things simple, was this the impression you got?

Cheers 🍺

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

GB says he wants to play fast and keep things simple, was this the impression you got?

Cheers 🍺

Defense looked good. They played it simple - bar a CB blitz by Hobbs, which resulted in a sack. It meant that the players seemed to know their assignments and were able to do their jobs and get off the field. There was one blown play, which I think may have been on Gillespie, but I didn’t catch the replay and a missed tackle by Laevitt which resulted in their TD.

Player that stood out for me was Philon. He looked like he had a decent get off and caused some disruption.

But then, I thought the whole d-line rotation looked good. Ferrell got a sack, Thomas made a play or two, as did Nassib and Jefferson looked solid. It was only when the third stringers went in that Seattle had any running at all.

I thought it was as good as we could have hoped for.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Cheers 🍺

The defense looked pretty good, and Gus's scheme looked good as well. The first thing that popped in my head about the scheme during the game was multiples and the substitutions on defense. They were effective getting players in and out and letting different players attack the offense. Tanner Muse and Nate Hobbs stood out the most IMO, Muse looked prepared and seems to have the energy we need. Hobbs had a sack that set the tone for the game. The corner backs played good, but they can still be better. The D line played decent, Cle Ferrell made a good play, that was good to see. Philon at DT was a excellent pickup that was noticeable from the start, DT actually might be a fun position to watch this year. Koonce was OK, nothing great but he was as advertised. 

The players seemed confident and they played well. The depth at corner was a nice sight, and at safety for that matter. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, reddevil said:

Defense looked good. They played it simple - bar a CB blitz by Hobbs, which resulted in a sack. It meant that the players seemed to know their assignments and were able to do their jobs and get off the field. There was one blown play, which I think may have been on Gillespie, but I didn’t catch the replay and a missed tackle by Laevitt which resulted in their TD.

Player that stood out for me was Philon. He looked like he had a decent get off and caused some disruption.

But then, I thought the whole d-line rotation looked good. Ferrell got a sack, Thomas made a play or two, as did Nassib and Jefferson looked solid. It was only when the third stringers went in that Seattle had any running at all.

I thought it was as good as we could have hoped for.

I know it the 2nd team but Ferrell looked pretty good but still one step too slow. If he was just a little quicker he could of have had a couple of sacks

6 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

DT may not actually be the worst part on this defense. That position has be intrigued. Philon plays with a lot of energy and his get off is very noticeable. If McCoy can be half of what he has been in his career. Jefferson, McCoy and Philon will be able to provide a nice rotation. Don’t know what happens to Thomas at this point. 

And again we don’t need a full-time guy we just need an interior rush period Which means a rotation may actually be what’s best until someone really start standing outWhich means a rotation may actually be what’s best until someone really starts standing out.

I personally haven’t seen the Raiders have multiple potential guys that can rush the best from the inside years

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

I know it the 2nd team but Ferrell looked pretty good but still one step too slow. If he was just a little quicker he could of have had a couple of sacks

Yep. He will always be a step too slow to have big production - but he does disrupt things. And given the role he will have on the team this season, that’ll do nicely.

What I like about our dline is the variety of body types and skill sets we have. I expect we will see the percentage of snaps being quite different from one week to the next depending on the strengths of the opposition.

• Like 1

I finally watched the game and not much I can add. 

1.  Peterman looked great and he added the running dimension that we hope to see out of Carr.  I know it was backups but him taking off opened other things up and the run game looked better for it.

2. Parker only played the 1st quarter at LT.  With the exception of the first play he played well.  The first play he had two players to block and he choose the outside blitzer.  I do not know who was responsible but he was in a no win situation.  The only other time he let Peterman get touched it was a missed facemask as he directed the DE around the QB.

Overall our backups looked better than theirs and much of it appeared to be from better coaching.  They were prepared and motivated.  I want to see more.

My last observation is a negative one unfortunately.  Ferrell looks like he is just to slow.  He has the ability to beat 2nd teamers but not enough athletic ability to finish the play.  Starting to remind me of Hurst.  Really wish he would have done more at the combine or we knocked him down our board because he did not.  5T is the only position I see him being able to play.

• Like 1