Eagles waive RB Kerryon Johnson

TheKillerNacho

He was competing with Jordan Howard for the backup RB spot. When we signed him Howard was seen as a long shot because of his stint with the Dolphins, but Howard showed up to camp in fantastic shape and immediately took the backup spot within days. He wasn't really in the running for the 3rd or 4th RB spot because Scott is the third down back  and Kenny Gainwell is a rookie who will return kicks and do some pass catching. He wasn't making the team regardless of injury status, but the injury did get him out of camp faster.

Edited by AZ_Eaglesfan

41 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

He was competing with Jordan Howard for the backup RB spot. When we signed him Howard was seen as a long shot because of his stint with the Dolphins, but Howard showed up to camp in fantastic shape and immediately took the backup spot within days. He wasn't really in the running for the 3rd or 4th RB spot because Scott is the third down back  and Kenny Golladay is a rookie who will return kicks and do some pass catching. He wasn't making the team regardless of injury status, but the injury did get him out of camp faster.

Gainwell, yeah?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

How did Gainwell look with the reps he got in game?

I liked what I saw. He had a good pass block rep which he got praise from Sirianni for the next day of practice, but that is an area he needs to keep improving to be on the field on 3rd downs more. Only had 2 carries for 14 yards (9 and 5 a piece) and 2 receptions (10 and 6 yards). Thought for a smaller back he did a good job fighting through contact. Dragged guys for extra yards on at least 2-3 of those 4 plays from what I remember.

This was one of those instances.

Slipped trying to plant on the Texas route, but quickly regained his balance, caught the pass shed the LB off him & pulled the corner tackling him after for a few more.

Not sure he'll play a huge role early on in the season, but I hope he can keep proving himself in pass protection in these preseason games and practice, so he gets the opportunity, because it seems like Miles Sanders is still dropping passes unfortunately even though he's working on his hands. Boston Scott is a nice spell guy, but that's what he is. Jordan Howard surprisingly has shown up in better shape to camp than he has been in the past couple years. I think last year made him realize he can be out of the NFL quick. Obviously he showed enough to make the Eagles feel Kerryon was expendable. The injury definitely didn't help though.

Laid a great block at 1:40 last Thursday in the limited time he was in.

I hope Kerryon latches on somewhere though, cause he's a great pass protecting back too and seems like a great dude.

• Like 1