Preseason Week 2 GDT - Los Angeles Chargers vs San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea, I really think they're "stashing" Hurst. Teams do it all the time. Make a minor injury into a major one and its one less roster spot to agonize over.

My thing with Sudfield is that personally, I don't see his value to this team. If Lance is the future, the 3rd string or eventual back-up to him should mirror his skillset so the offense doesn't have to drastically change if he were to get injured. That's why Sudfield on this roster never made sense to me other than the connection with Scangarello.

If we're gearing up this offense to take advantage of all that Trey has to offer, I think his backup should be in the same vein. I'd like to see us go grab a guy more similar to Lance than Jimmy. 

While I agree Sudfield doesn't really have any value on this team, I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded. Shanny has shown the ability to adjust his offense based on who is under center. If we get to our third string QB for an extended period of time, we're probably screwed anyway. If it is a short-term injury, I have no doubt that Shanny could gameplan around a guy that isn't mobile like Lance. I know I wouldn't be rolling out RG3 just because he can move.  

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

While I agree Sudfield doesn't really have any value on this team, I wholeheartedly disagree with the bolded. Shanny has shown the ability to adjust his offense based on who is under center. If we get to our third string QB for an extended period of time, we're probably screwed anyway. If it is a short-term injury, I have no doubt that Shanny could gameplan around a guy that isn't mobile like Lance. I know I wouldn't be rolling out RG3 just because he can move.  

I'm  not questioning Shanny's ability to center a scheme around a more traditional pocket passer. He's done just that for the better part of his entire career as a offensive coach. I'm saying what sense does it make to go after a more diverse skillset@the QB position, only to have his backup not mirror it?? 

The are plenty of QBs out there who could fit in a back up role that more closely resemble what Lance does whose names aren't RG3. They're not very hard to find. 

20 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

I'm  not questioning Shanny's ability to center a scheme around a more traditional pocket passer. He's done just that for the better part of his entire career as a offensive coach. I'm saying what sense does it make to go after a more diverse skillset@the QB position, only to have his backup not mirror it?? 

The are plenty of QBs out there who could fit in a back up role that more closely resemble what Lance does whose names aren't RG3. They're not very hard to find. 

Well, god willing, we won’t see our third string or backup QB on the field. I understand what you are saying, but I’ve seen this narrative kicking around other places where it seems like people just want any running QB because we have a guy who has the ability to do it in Lance. If the best option is someone who can move, then I’m all for it, but I certainly wouldn't pigeonhole myself into a specific type of backup QB. I think the best guy we could get to be our long term backup would be a guy like Minshew, but I’d anticipate that he’d want to go somewhere with an opportunity to win a starting job. Minshew isn’t a guy that you are going to design runs for or anything like that, but he’s a gritty dude that can win you games down the stretch if we lost our starter for a couple of weeks and keep us in the playoff picture. 

I'm still in the middle of the re-watch, but there are so many good things I want to say about this game. Other than the start, we came out looking like a slug on pavement on a summer day. 

I'll try to keep this brief because I could write a book.

Lance - I thought he was a little jittery to start. He was firing shotgun rounds at his receivers. Then, he seemed to settle down and was making some real beautiful throws. That sideline throw to Sherfield was beautiful. The way he released it, you could tell that he knew he had him. It was like a shooter admiring his 3-pointer because he knows it’s going in.

That TD pass to Benjamin was high-level stuff. He looked off the LB just enough to open a window and fired a fastball down the middle for the TD. 

Hasty - I like him a lot. Way more than Gallman. The ceiling his higher with Hasty but the floor is lower than Gallman. Hasty fits our outside zone stuff well, but Gallman looks better between the tackles. I'd probably go with Hasty at this point, but I haven't paid attention to how they're both performing on special teams and their pass blocking. That will be the key, IMO.

Moore - Another good performance from him, IMO. He looked really good in pass pro and run blocking. He was going against Fackrell and Nwousu and held his own against both. Albeit, Fackrell did beat him once or twice. I'm feeling more comfortable with Moore being the swing tackle.

Brendel - He had a couple of heads-up plays, like picking up the blitzing LB that timed the snap perfectly only to be stonewalled by Brendel. I like him and hope we can get him on the PS. 

Hurst - He only played 3 or 4 snaps before getting hurt, but he was in the backfield on every snap. He was routinely beating his man with speed and power. I really hope we keep him because he's going to be money for us in the second half of the season.

Kocurek - This man deserves so much credit. Our d-line looked unstoppable. Not only we're they all winning their battles, but they were constantly firing off the snap with speed and aggression. Our d-line is better and deeper than 2019, which is crazy to say.

Griffith - He's becoming one of my favorite reserve guys. He was everywhere in this game and has looked really good in pursuit and OK in coverage. I think Griffith has done enough to win the #4 or #5 LB job. 

Lenoir - I think we may have ourselves a steal, here. He's been fantastic in coverage all pre-season and I love his willingness to tackle. I still don't love our CB depth, but Lenoir is definitely easing some of my concerns.

Hufanga - What's left to say here? He's a heat-seeking missile with a nose for the ball. I expect at least one wow play from him every game now. I also like him better in coverage than I thought I would. 

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Thats what you get when your receivers drop several passes hitting them straight in their hands.

To be fair, some are coming in EXTREMELY hot and are difficult to bring in...That just comes with playing with Lance more and then Lance learning to take some heat off his passes. A few drops were bad though, in particular the Aiyuk and James drops.

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

To be fair, some are coming in EXTREMELY hot and are difficult to bring in...That just comes with playing with Lance more and then Lance learning to take some heat off his passes. A few drops were bad though, in particular the Aiyuk and James drops.

In that first game i think all three where just bad drops. With Lance's arm you will almost always have more drops than you have with Jimmy simply because he throws much harder. He has to learn when to put on and when to pull power off though for sure.

Just now, Geek said:

What the hell type stat is this? I mean what is the "expectation"? I'm very confused.

Expected completion percentage is exactly that, and is based on “difficulty” of throws. “Safe” qb, would be expected to have a higher %, while a guy who takes shots downfield would be expected to have a lower %. This metric is then just how they performed versus that expectation.