We got a punter

VonKarman

Interesting trajectory. If you believe the article Belichick tried to hide Bojórquez  in NE and got poached.

Ive heard BUF hoped to bring him back but cap had them juggling contracts. LAR seemed to be attractive for him being a SoCal guy but Hekker is all pro. I’m glad we spent a little draft capital on him because I doubt GB was high in his list. Show him some love and let him go to Lombardi’s church to make ties in the community. Hopefully we’ve got a punter and can keep him.

* also from the article, he punts lefty which is rare and does reverse the spin returners are used to. 

https://buffalonews.com/sports/bills/why-bill-belichick-couldnt-hide-corey-bojorquez-from-the-bills/article_40213482-1b44-11eb-a73c-0335cea392d4.html

Edited by Refugee
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Norse65 said:

If I’m Scott I’m looking south or for a dome team.   I believe he will catch on somewhere else.  I’d like to think that skinny kid becomes a grown man one day and without contending with Green Bay’s weather finds that consistency which is all he seems to lack. 

First of all, I didn't know he was un-vaccinated. Anyway, I'm a 'Bama fan and remember him being relatively inconsistent the first couple of years in Tuscaloosa. He cleaned up his act after a few Saban chew-outs, but the inconsistency started showing up again his Senior year. He can catch on somewhere else if he can land with a team like Houston or Jacksonville where the expectations are fairly low and he can be virtually invisible. Kinda hard to do that in a place like Green Bay when you really aren't punting all that often and the few times in which you DO punt are put under a microscope.

Also, I like that we got a Day 3 pick along with him only sacrificing our 6th for a 7th. 

Edited by Joe

I think it should be said that JK Scott never had a good special teams coach helping him develop his game. He started with Zook and got Mennenga. I don't think he ever stood a chance.

If he ever lands elsewhere with good ST coaches then maybe perhaps he finally improve his level of play which he's capable of producing.

Edited by Chili
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chili said:

I think it should be said that JK Scott never had a good special teams coach helping him develop his game. He started with Zook and got Mennenga. I don't think he ever stood a chance. If he ever lands elsewhere with good ST coaches then maybe perhaps he finally improve his level of play which he's capable of producing.

That's kind of a "nebulous" area no? How a ST coordinator improves a punter's game? Not sure exactly how he does that - other than perhaps the coverage guys improve - which begs the question: is that the result of the ST coordinator or simply better talent being designated to the unit?

On 9/1/2021 at 8:44 AM, Packer_ESP said:

There is also another rule... something like after the trade deadline, all players, even the veterans have to go through the waiver wire.

I think this is to stop non-trade... trades. Sorta like, if you release this veteran, we'll give you $10 million to your charity.... and then the veteran can't automatically sign with any team, unless they pass through waivers first.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:10 AM, Dubz41 said:

I didn't intend to be the defender of JK Scott, but I don't think that just changing punters clears up the problems we were having with special teams. And I found this snippet:

According to PFF, the 45.5 yards per punt that Scott averaged in 2020 ranked 22nd while his 4.57 second average hang time ranked first.

But...we still didn't cover very well.  If you can't cover the highest average hang time....changing punters isn't the cure.

Yes, JK was inconsistent.  Most young punters are.  I wish him the best.

Absolutely! Scott wasn't the most consistent, but I also don't think he was the weakest link in punt coverage either. Well, unless you're talking in terms of his willingness to tackle.

But Pat McAfee showed at least one of Scott's punts that was returned for a touchdown, where everyone was blaming Scott for out kicking his coverage, and he might of out kicked them a bit. But muliple guys (at least 3 in one lane, and I think two in one other lane) were all clearly in the same coverage lane literally giving the returner muliple options to stay in an outside lane up cut up the middle, with enough blockers either way.

On 8/31/2021 at 3:37 PM, PossibleCabbage said:

I really think the Packers had their hearts set on Dickson in 2018 and panicked when the Seahawks sniped them in the top 150, and panicked when they picked JK Scott.  Glad he's gone.

He may not have panned out, but Scott was not a BJ Sander situation. Scott was arguably the best college P of all time and a legit pro prospect. BJ Sander was a "wtf?" pick for everyone not named Mike Sherman. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

He may not have panned out, but Scott was not a BJ Sander situation. Scott was arguably the best college P of all time and a legit pro prospect. BJ Sander was a "wtf?" pick for everyone not named Mike Sherman. 

Correct, this suggestion that the Packers panicked when another punter was selected is absurd. Scott might of been the  most talented leg talent the Packers have ever had, he just didn't make the adjustments the Packers wanted him to make. The Packers wanted him to hit it 45 yards with a 5 second hangtime every time instead of doing what he had done all his life of just letting it rip 55-60 yards and out punting his coverage. Maybe the Packers should of just employed some Janis type gunners and took advantage of the punter they had rather than jacking with his mechanics. Water over the dam now.        

• Like 2

5 hours ago, R T said:

Correct, this suggestion that the Packers panicked when another punter was selected is absurd. Scott might of been the  most talented leg talent the Packers have ever had, he just didn't make the adjustments the Packers wanted him to make. The Packers wanted him to hit it 45 yards with a 5 second hangtime every time instead of doing what he had done all his life of just letting it rip 55-60 yards and out punting his coverage. Maybe the Packers should of just employed some Janis type gunners and took advantage of the punter they had rather than jacking with his mechanics. Water over the dam now.        

Well this kind of suggests they did panic.

If you use a 5th rounder on a punter, they really need to be exactly what you want. If the guy's punting style was never what they wanted, that's a terrible pick. A really terrible pick. 

3 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Well this kind of suggests they did panic.

If you use a 5th rounder on a punter, they really need to be exactly what you want. If the guy's punting style was never what they wanted, that's a terrible pick. A really terrible pick. 

This seems like a really weird take on the Scott pick.

• Like 2