We got a punter

VonKarman

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

Reid Ferguson, Buffalo LS these past 5 years released today. We should reunite him with his old punter. Mason the Gray will have to adjust but these are professionals, so make it work. 

* I see now he may be doing them a solid, taking the cut so they can IR players then re-sign. Maybe we make him an offer he can’t refuse?

Doesn't everyone right now have to clear waivers?  I never know how that **** works. 

7 hours ago, Norm said:

Doesn't everyone right now have to clear waivers?  I never know how that **** works. 

I'm not sure how when it starts but vets after a certain amount of years in league do not have to go through waivers. They become free agents immediately. I'm guessing after 5 he would be exempt from the waiver process. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I'm not sure how when it starts but vets after a certain amount of years in league do not have to go through waivers. They become free agents immediately. I'm guessing after 5 he would be exempt from the waiver process. 

Players with four years of more don't go through waivers.

https://dknation.draftkings.com/nfl/2021/8/30/22648201/nfl-waiver-wire-rules-2021-which-team-has-top-priority-claims-order

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Norm said:

Players with a certain number of years in the league do not have to clear waivers. That become free agents when cut. Not sure what the number is. 

^ Beat me to it.

Edited by Brat&Beer
  • Like 1

Acme Packing  -    Bojorquez did well enough in 2020 for the Buffalo Bills that he earned some All-Pro votes, but the Bills did not re-sign him in the offseason. Instead, he signed with the Los Angeles Rams a week before the draft, battled with four-time All-Pro punter Johnny Hekker for the Rams’ punter spot, lost in a tight race, and was traded to the Packers.

Not insignificant is the fact that Hekker restructured his contract, potentially a deal-breaker between keeping Hekker or Bojorquez on the Rams’ roster. According to OverTheCap, Bojorquez is on a one-year, $1.02 million deal that includes $100,000 in roster bonuses (money paid if he plays on game day) and $920,000 in base salary (weekly checks) that are not guaranteed. In theory, the Packers can be week-to-week with Bojorquez, but there’s little to no reason to think that they would want to move on from him in-season.

I didn't intend to be the defender of JK Scott, but I don't think that just changing punters clears up the problems we were having with special teams. And I found this snippet:

According to PFF, the 45.5 yards per punt that Scott averaged in 2020 ranked 22nd while his 4.57 second average hang time ranked first.

But...we still didn't cover very well.  If you can't cover the highest average hang time....changing punters isn't the cure.

Yes, JK was inconsistent.  Most young punters are.  I wish him the best.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I didn't intend to be the defender of JK Scott, but I don't think that just changing punters clears up the problems we were having with special teams. And I found this snippet:

According to PFF, the 45.5 yards per punt that Scott averaged in 2020 ranked 22nd while his 4.57 second average hang time ranked first.

But...we still didn't cover very well.  If you can't cover the highest average hang time....changing punters isn't the cure.

Yes, JK was inconsistent.  Most young punters are.  I wish him the best.

No doubt Packers need to cover better. However, I do believe there were some issues with Scott not kicking to the portion of the field that the coverage scheme was set up for. That will certainly affect coverage. Hopefully Quez will do better.  

If I’m Scott I’m looking south or for a dome team.   I believe he will catch on somewhere else.  I’d like to think that skinny kid becomes a grown man one day and without contending with Green Bay’s weather finds that consistency which is all he seems to lack. 

1 hour ago, Norse65 said:

If I’m Scott I’m looking south or for a dome team.   I believe he will catch on somewhere else.  I’d like to think that skinny kid becomes a grown man one day and without contending with Green Bay’s weather finds that consistency which is all he seems to lack. 

He'll land in a dome and be a reliable P for the next 10 years

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

He'll land in a dome and be a reliable P for the next 10 years

Agree, if he gets vaccinated. Otherwise he will probably need to wait for the NFL to lighten the COVID rules before landing another job.