Week1 GDT:Cardinals(0-0)at Titans(0-0)

Titans fan 617

1 minute ago, titans0021 said:

I was thinking about this today, would it even really matter? I have no confidence that we’d use him in anything other than the occasional PA, deep shot, Khalif Raymond role.

Correction

How nice would it be to have a guy like Rondale Moore and make it a priority to get him the ball?*

2 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I was thinking about this today, would it even really matter? I have no confidence that we’d use him in anything other than the occasional PA, deep shot, Khalif Raymond role.

our passing game is stuck in the 90s. it’s deeply depressing.

• Like 1

Just now, -Hope- said:

our passing game is stuck in the 90s. it’s deeply depressing.

Hate to say it again but lather, rinse, repeat. We’ve all been saying this, for what, half a decade? At least since we drafted Mariota we’ve been clamoring to modernize the passing game. Looks like another year of hoping. Le sigh.

39 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

As much of a god-send as he's been from a fan's perspective...I mean he often lights up the scoreboard...I don't and haven't thought that Ryan can lead us to the promised land w/o everything else going right around him.

He's a very good quarterback. Big arm, athletic, good leader, confident passer. But to win a super bowl in the NFL, you need a QB who can just dictate a game. It's just how the league is now...unless you put together an objectively balanced and great team (bad example b/c they lost haha, but like the 2019 49ers w/ Jimmy G). 

We don't have that. As great as JRob is...I think he's yet to put together a top-to-bottom GREAT unit that has proven itself to be great (this year's offense is TBD, but great on paper minus RT). Even when Pees had our defense playing great, it was never stockpiled with talent. 

For conversation's sake, let's assume JRob stays his current course. We're competitive but never top 3-4 teams throughout a year. So we'd ultimately need that true "franchise" guy who can control a game.

LA Rams are a good example right now. Sure Goff was awful, but they concluded that they need a QB who can control games with his arm. Clearly they see that in Stafford. Time will tell if it pans out for them, but I'd bet that McVay knows that ultimately it will ALL come down to your QB.

Those true carrying-your-franchise guys come around once a decade or so, and no, this is the era of strong teams over individual QB play more than anything. Mahomes might be the one exception, but even still he was beaten by a much better squad in Tampa. Rodgers can't take the Packers back to the promised land, Brees struggled for years to do so. Even Brady has ocassionally succumbed to clearly better teams.

Tanny is okay. More than okay, from time to time. He's the guy you can win with.

Also, funny that the Rams went all-in on a quarterback that not long ago people would've swore is not even close to Mariota.

14 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Obviously not the most important stat, but on top of the OL failing, you’re also asking your constantly pressured QB to throw into significantly tighter windows than his counterpart.

This backs up what I thought I saw watching live.

I was so disappointed in what I saw from AJ and Julio. They're supposed to both be top 10, arguably around top 5 receivers in the entire league, and neither one of them could get separation against a secondary that lost it's #1 corner a week before heading in to the game, and even before that was considered a weakness heading in to the season.

Who knows how much it would have even mattered given how little protection Tannehill got, but I expect 100x better from AJ and Julio than that. I literally can't wrap my head around how bad they were vs what I expect from them.

7 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I was so disappointed in what I saw from AJ and Julio. They're supposed to both be top 10, arguably around top 5 receivers in the entire league, and neither one of them could get separation against a secondary that lost it's #1 corner a week before heading in to the game, and even before that was considered a weakness heading in to the season.

Who knows how much it would have even mattered given how little protection Tannehill got, but I expect 100x better from AJ and Julio than that. I literally can't wrap my head around how bad they were vs what I expect from them.

As much as I loved the Julio trade, only the performance of Lewan and Lamm prevented him from being the worst player on the field on either side of the ball today. Just a miserable performance. The drive killing penalty as the game was already slipping away early was only the icing on the cake.

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I could be wrong, but I think 2.2+ yards of separation is actually a pretty good figure. It speaks more than we've allowed so much space to their receivers, but there are scrambles, bust-up plays and coverages that have inflated those numbers for sure.

6 minutes ago, Andrei01 said:

I could be wrong, but I think 2.2+ yards of separation is actually a pretty good figure. It speaks more than we've allowed so much space to their receivers, but there are scrambles, bust-up plays and coverages that have inflated those numbers for sure.

2.2-2.4 is on the lower end to average. However looking at what Julio and AJ did last year(2.7 for Julio, 2.4 for AJ on average), maybe expecting separation for them is too much of an ask on my end, as maybe that's not their game. However, AJ and Julio both drew #1 corners far more than not, I'd assume. Arizona doesn't really have a #1 corner, and whoever is the #1 corner for opposing teams against us can only cover one of them, so I'd expect separation numbers to improve for at least one of them per game.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/receiving/2020/REG/all#average-separation

One offseason concern that showed itself was the lack of a rounded TE. Personnel groupings are just so predictable. Say what you will for Jonnu, having a player that could both serve as a sixth blocker but was also dangerous with the ball in his hands forced defenses to at least account for every potential receiving option on the field.

Unlikely anyone will know this, but I’d be really interested to know if there was a single run play where Firkser was the only TE on the field. And on the flip side, our two blocking TEs combined for 40 snaps and one target, which was a dropped touchdown. I’m not sure this is a long term option in a TE heavy offense. Not that there’s an obvious and viable solution out there outside of maybe Ertz.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

One offseason concern that showed itself was the lack of a rounded TE.

I thought about this sentence more and realized how silly it is. The fact is that today somehow represented literally every concern, both minor and major, that we seemed to have discussed this offseason. Every single worry about the coaching staff and roster construction all hit all at once, in Week 1. It’s almost impressive.

5 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

One offseason concern that showed itself was the lack of a rounded TE. Personnel groupings are just so predictable. Say what you will for Jonnu, having a player that could both serve as a sixth blocker but was also dangerous with the ball in his hands forced defenses to at least account for every potential receiving option on the field.

Unlikely anyone will know this, but I’d be really interested to know if there was a single run play where Firkser was the only TE on the field. And on the flip side, our two blocking TEs combined for 40 snaps and one target, which was a dropped touchdown. I’m not sure this is a long term option in a TE heavy offense. Not that there’s an obvious and viable solution out there outside of maybe Ertz.

I thought about this several times during the game today. It felt like particularly today we missed Jonnu alot. He would have most certainly alleviated a good amount of the pressure we were receiving today. And he would have kept alot of the linebacker pressure honest with his catching ability in the middle and up close. 

Watching him play for the Patriots today and be productive hurt after today's loss. I didn't realize how much I missed him until I saw him play today. Sadness. 

We desperately need a good defense. We need a defense that can reflect and complement what Henry can do. It's really the missing piece to getting us to a place to be in the top tier of the NFL. We changed alot of things on D this last year and it didn't look great today. But I hope maybe with time we can jell.

We need Farley to make an impact this year. 

I am holding out hope between Farley, Dupree getting to 100, Molden, Fulton molding into a solid piece, Autry and Simmons starting to make waves up the center that it can morph into something formidable. 

I am not too too worried about the offense. I think they will figure it out. We need the defense to meld some sort of identity. 

I'm not trying to be a gloom and doom off one game. But I'm just saying. I don't see us winning a super bowl with our approach and this team.
Defense isn't good enough as it looks. Offensive isn't built to play in today's NFL. Coaches don't seem to be able to put together that type of gameplan consistently. 

We can still be good, but I think a playoff game or two is the best we likely will do. 

• Like 1