2021 Around the League Thread

beardown3231

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Maybe not then...

The #Vikings wrapped up an interview this afternoon with Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh, then informed fellow finalists Patrick Graham and Raheem Morris they’re out. O’Connell is Minnesota’s man.

And this right here is why Flores is suing.  What was the purpose of the 9 hour interview for Graham if they were going to turn around and offer Harbaugh, and when that didnt work out give it to O'Connell 

10 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And this right here is why Flores is suing.  What was the purpose of the 9 hour interview for Graham if they were going to turn around and offer Harbaugh, and when that didnt work out give it to O'Connell 

It sounds like Harbaugh got a 9 hour interview as well but was never offered

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

6m

The #Raiders are interviewing former #Bears defensive coordinator Sean Desai today for their DC job under new coach Josh McDaniels, source said. He coordinated a Top 10 D last year in Chicago, his first year calling it.

Damn.. after seeing Champ Kelly and now possibly Sean Desai leave to join McDaniels in LV I wonder why we didn't even give JMcD a sniff of an interview? Seems like he has some connections to these guys.

I'm all for rebuilding the front office and coaching staff but still think they should have given him an interview

Edited by topwop1

4 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Thoughts on Desai gents? I know absolutely nothing about him.

Spent a lot of time with us, working his way up through the ranks. Limited sample size as a DC, didn’t change too much, mostly ran the same concepts from under Fangio/Pagano. Slow start to last season, but like the stats say, we didn’t have a bad defense overall. Quinn remembering how to play football helped with that a lot.

With all the talent we have on defense, probably should have finished better than we did. I don’t view him as a revolutionary type of guy, but he hasn’t done anything to show he’s incompetent, either.

45 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fangio disciple - well respected and liked by players.  By all accounts a very smart guy and student of the game. 

Got his first gig last season in a tough obvious lame duck year.   Hard to judge him off that.

I would say he has a bright future.

2 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't think he was 100% ready for the DC position early on last year. Too many mental lapses on defense but the back end for us was pretty poor talentwise too. He came on stronger and there were less actual broken plays as the year went on too. So he learned as the season went on and should be in better position to run them in 2022 IMO. We really struggled on 3rd and long but again, we were putting a lot of street-level talents on the field too in the defensive backfield (front 7 was solid talents though for sure). Not all of that is on Desai, a lot of that was just poor players getting beat by real NFL talents.

I don't think it is a bad hire, he helped the passrush get a jump up too, so you guys should see solid production if I had to guess. Your DB group was better than ours, so if there is better talent there likely is a drop in broken plays there. He isn't a slam dunk hire like actually getting Fangio but seems like a guy that can be a really good DC in time. McDaniels being a much more detailed and demanding coach than Nagy likely means he couldn't get away with some of the mental lapses he could here too.

I'd give the hiring a B grade.

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Fangio disciple who is by all accounts an intelligent guy. His defense didn’t play great in year 1 but it’s tough to fault him given the situation. I think he was maybe a year too early in becoming a DC but seems like a bright coach who will improve.

Rick Stroud

@NFLSTROUD

·

8m

Hearing Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich is expected to remove himself from consideration for the Jaguars head coaching job soon. Former Raiders interim HC Rich Bisaccia and former Eagles coach Doug Pederson remain strong candidates.

They better go with Pederson.

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Rick Stroud

@NFLSTROUD

·

8m

Hearing Bucs offensive coordinator Byron Leftwich is expected to remove himself from consideration for the Jaguars head coaching job soon. Former Raiders interim HC Rich Bisaccia and former Eagles coach Doug Pederson remain strong candidates.

They better go with Pederson.

Every time I think the Bears run a clown show rinky dink operation (which is hopefully changing), I look at Jacksonville and IMMEDIATELY feel better. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Every time I think the Bears run a clown show rinky dink operation (which is hopefully changing), I look at Jacksonville and IMMEDIATELY feel better. 

Don't leave out Houston. They may be the biggest dumpster fire of all. Once Smith left they have been a **** show ever since.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

Fangio disciple who is by all accounts an intelligent guy. His defense didn’t play great in year 1 but it’s tough to fault him given the situation. I think he was maybe a year too early in becoming a DC but seems like a bright coach who will improve.

Whoa.  Scary that we wrote almost exact same thing.  LOL

Pretty sure you didn't see mine when you wrote yours.  

• Like 1