NFLPA recommends Josh Gordon be reinstated

kingseanjohn

8 hours ago, incognito_man said:

What should we do instead? Support him not having a goal to work toward to help him stay clean?

He's proven this goal isn't actually that important to him. He's needed a real one for a while, and this isn't it. If you keep falling for it and supporting it after this many instances, then as I said before, you're an idiot.

4 hours ago, 43M said:

Why does he deserve endless opportunities to be a professional athlete?   Same with Aldon Smith.  Alot dont even get SECOND chances.   Some people dont learn or grow, no matter whats at stake.

He had the talent and opportunity to be one of the best and highest paid WRs in the game, and that "goal" didnt stop him from doing it over and over.

The bleeding heart mentality some people have is usually misguided.   It often enables recidivism and relapses.

Clearly, Gordon needs NEW goals to work towards to....because football clearly isnt the goal thats going to get him to change.

I wish Gordon the best, and I dont necessarily have an issue with him being reinstated since it doesnt affect me, but there is no evidence to suggest football is helping him.   If he doesn't WANT to change, nothing else matters.   

But if some team wants to take a chance on 30 year old WR who isnt much more than a backup caliber player anymore and hasnt shown any desire to change....by all means.    

Couldn't agree more.

And I'll add this, working back to his NFL career is a lousy goal to have, at this point.

If those around him are banking all his self esteem on that, you are not helping him, and are just creating yet another explosive, high pressure situation, for him to fail.

Edited by kramxel

2 hours ago, Fresh Prince said:

Is this just for weed?

IIRC the latest suspension was for performance enhancement substances. But I believe all the prior offenses were weed related? Like seriously can we stop derailing players careers over this? Dudes put their bodies through hell every week. A little weed to help with the pain is not worth all this trouble.

• Like 2

Is he in jail or is he a free man? Heck Has he  harmed anybody? He has a right to earn a living regardless of his “issues” (which we aren’t really privy to because of how vague these suspensions are). If he applied for a 9 to 5 or McDonalds would y’all have a problem? No you wouldn’t. He has a right to apply for reinstatement and play football again. While teams are not obligated to take a chance on him. Simple.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

Is he in jail or is he a free man? Heck Has he  harmed anybody? He has a right to earn a living regardless of his “issues” (which we aren’t really privy to because of how vague these suspensions are). If he applied for a 9 to 5 or McDonalds would y’all have a problem? No you wouldn’t. He has a right to apply for reinstatement and play football again. While teams are not obligated to take a chance on him. Simple.

And playing in the NFL isn't a "right". 

Moreover, nobody on here has said jack about wishing failure on him. But it is painfully obvious that football isn't something that has (or overwhelmingly unlikely to ever) be a motivation for him to get his ish together. 

Frankly, it seems that the money, travel, attention, etc. are more triggering to him than anything else. Every time he does come back, he relapses. Why does he want to come back? To now be clean and play? Money? Folks around him getting in his ear? 

Everyone has a "right" to get clean and make a living. And guess what? Even the kindest of judges will eventually pull the plug on rehab routines if they aren't working and demand something else be tried. 

• Like 2

When you got talent, you get the extra chances. That's just life. If he has turned it around and still has ability great for him. As a Dolphins fan I wouldn't be thrilled about giving up a roster spot for him, but don't think the guy should be kept from trying to earn a living if some GM/Coach/Owner decides to take a chance on him.