Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

14 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr is a guy I simply cannot give a full evaluation til the season is officially over as he tends to play poor down the stretch when the schedule gets tougher and the weather gets colder. 

With that said, I came into this thread to show the guy some love. He is on pace for the best season of his career (if he keeps it up, big if). Personally I still thought 2016 was his best season, with 2020 being a close runner up, and both of those seasons being nothing close to MVP caliber. His 2016 season got some MVP hype purely due to 4th QTR heroics. 

He is blowing both of those seasons out of the water. 100%. And he is playing the way I’ve wanted him to play for years, for the first time in his entire football career outside of 4th QTR’s in 2016. He is trusting his guys without much separation, especially Waller, Moreau, and Edwards. Before this year, Carr is a guy who doesn’t throw unless you’re very open. This year, he’s throwing in traffic and not being so risk-adverse. He has been a super super risk-adverse QB his entire career, even in college, minus 4th QTR’s in 2016. However, this year something has changed in him. He really does have a killer instinct and no give a f***s attitude this year, and I’m really digging it. He’s on pace for 16 INT’s, but who cares? I’ll take a risk taking QB who is fearless, throws for 4500+ yards, 8.5 YPA, takes first downs by force, while throwing 16 INT’s vs a very risk-adverse QB who throws only when guys are open, sub 8.0 YPA, only takes first downs when the defense gives them, while throwing 9 INT’s. 

Carr has totally changed his play style this year. And I give the man much love for that. 

Am I sold on him? Unlike most, No I am not. Would I give him an extension right this second? No. I need to see him play this way all season and not revert back to his risk-adverse self. I need to see a strong second half, and just one playoff win. If all that happens, I’d be happy with a fair-market value extension. 

Much appreciation to Derek Carr so far. He is ballin. 

lol imagine still not believing DC is a good QB

• Like 1

DC always been the Pro Bowl/Franchise QB from the past. Sucks he had to deal with those 2 big injuries then came in Gruden. Gruden decided to just tear it apart and was hit of miss with roster moves. All we needed back then was a better defense and replace aging players like Crabtree, Lynch, Penn. DC was on a short leash as Gruden wanted his own guy in at QB. DC was just too good for Gruden to ship out. Now the offense has talent, and DC is able to feel free. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Carr is a guy I simply cannot give a full evaluation til the season is officially over as he tends to play poor down the stretch when the schedule gets tougher and the weather gets colder. 

With that said, I came into this thread to show the guy some love. He is on pace for the best season of his career (if he keeps it up, big if). Personally I still thought 2016 was his best season, with 2020 being a close runner up, and both of those seasons being nothing close to MVP caliber. His 2016 season got some MVP hype purely due to 4th QTR heroics. 

He is blowing both of those seasons out of the water. 100%. And he is playing the way I’ve wanted him to play for years, for the first time in his entire football career outside of 4th QTR’s in 2016. He is trusting his guys without much separation, especially Waller, Moreau, and Edwards. Before this year, Carr is a guy who doesn’t throw unless you’re very open. This year, he’s throwing in traffic and not being so risk-adverse. He has been a super super risk-adverse QB his entire career, even in college, minus 4th QTR’s in 2016. However, this year something has changed in him. He really does have a killer instinct and no give a f***s attitude this year, and I’m really digging it. He’s on pace for 16 INT’s, but who cares? I’ll take a risk taking QB who is fearless, throws for 4500+ yards, 8.5 YPA, takes first downs by force, while throwing 16 INT’s vs a very risk-adverse QB who throws only when guys are open, sub 8.0 YPA, only takes first downs when the defense gives them, while throwing 9 INT’s. 

Carr has totally changed his play style this year. And I give the man much love for that. 

Am I sold on him? Unlike most, No I am not. Would I give him an extension right this second? No. I need to see him play this way all season and not revert back to his risk-adverse self. I need to see a strong second half, and just one playoff win. If all that happens, I’d be happy with a fair-market value extension. 

Much appreciation to Derek Carr so far. He is ballin. 

I partially wonder if part of it is because he trusts the D to hold if he does have a turnover. 
Ive always thought thats why hes been so hesitant in the past, when he threw a pick before it felt like game over. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I didn't even mention Howell or Strong, so not sure what point you're trying to make.

Willis or Corral will likely be the top 2 QBs taken. I think both have franchise potential. Both high upside players.

Willis reminds me of Jalen Hurts with a more live arm and Corral reminds me of Zach Wilson. There aren't good QB prospects in every draft. The only guy I'd personally be interested in for the Raiders would be Pickett if he falls.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Willis reminds me of Jalen Hurts with a more live arm and Corral reminds me of Zach Wilson. There aren't good QB prospects in every draft. The only guy I'd personally be interested in for the Raiders would be Pickett if he falls.

Point is, none of them are first round worthy QBs based on the skill set they've shown. Not sure why Palooka thinks that w/ 5 games left, someone will instantly prove themselves as a first round QB when they haven't the last few years of their collegiate careers. Some will be drafted in the first round b/c of supply and demand but that doesn't mean they deserve to be.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Point is, none of them are first round worthy QBs based on the skill set they've shown. Not sure why Palooka thinks that w/ 5 games left, someone will instantly prove themselves as a first round QB when they haven't the last few years of their collegiate careers. Some will be drafted in the first round b/c of supply and demand but that doesn't mean they deserve to be.

Agreed. Someone will reach on a QB based on need but I personally haven't seen anyone play this year that looks like a potential franchise QB. If I was going to draft a QB I'd rather wait until 2022 when guys like Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young will be on the board. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Matt Corral is a top 10 pick based on his skill set he's shown. He's a Heisman favorite if he finishes strong. Has the arm talent and athletic skills. Has proven it against SEC competition. 

I agree, there is not a QB I'm taking top 5. But Corall has proven himself in the conversation with guys like Lance, Allen, etc. as a top 10 QB as he deserves to be.

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Someone will reach on a QB based on need but I personally haven't seen anyone play this year that looks like a potential franchise QB. If I was going to draft a QB I'd rather wait until 2022 when guys like Anthony Richardson and Bryce Young will be on the board. 

It's a moot point as the Raiders are not going QB in round 1. The notion of "waiting on 2022" Richardson, Young have to prove themselves. Plenty of QBs that looked promising in 2021 fell off (Rattler, Howell). 

Herbert "fell off" in everyone perception after a strong junior year, then was slept on. That's why QB is often about what traits you can develop. 

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

It's a moot point as the Raiders are not going QB in round 1. The notion of "waiting on 2022" Richardson, Young have to prove themselves. Plenty of QBs that looked promising in 2021 fell off (Rattler, Howell). 

Herbert "fell off" in everyone perception after a strong junior year, then was slept on. That's why QB is often about what traits you can develop. 

Bryce Yong has 2,500 yards (70% comp), 26 TD, and 3 INT through the first 8 games of the season and is likely going to win the Heisman trophy. Richardson is unproven but has flashed elite physical traits. Rattler was meh last season and Howell was good but not great and both guys have fallen off this season.

Herbert fell off? He had his best year as a senior with 3,500 yards 32 TD/6 INT on a 12-2 Oregon team that won the Pac-12 and Bowl, it was his best season statistically. 

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Matt Corral is a top 10 pick based on his skill set he's shown. He's a Heisman favorite if he finishes strong. Has the arm talent and athletic skills. Has proven it against SEC competition. 

I agree, there is not a QB I'm taking top 5. But Corall has proven himself in the conversation with guys like Lance, Allen, etc. as a top 10 QB as he deserves to be.

Lance/Allen weren't great college players but they were physical specimens. Corral is nowhere near Josh Allen from a physical tools perspective.

39 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lance/Allen weren't great college players but they were physical specimens. Corral is nowhere near Josh Allen from a physical tools perspective.

Corrall has a rare arm talent and speed, same as Allen. He's just smaller 

41 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Herbert fell off? He had his best year as a senior with 3,500 yards 32 TD/6 INT on a 12-2 Oregon team that won the Pac-12 and Bowl, it was his best season statistically. 

Draft perception fell off. Went from potential #1 overall pick to people saying he wasn't accurate and was too aloof to be a good leader. Had stats, but struggled in games along the way. 

30 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Corrall has a rare arm talent and speed, same as Allen. He's just smaller 

Draft perception fell off. Went from potential #1 overall pick to people saying he wasn't accurate and was too aloof to be a good leader. Had stats, but struggled in games along the way. 

Corrall has a good arm but Josh Allen has arguably the best arm in NFL history and is 6'5" 240 with elite athleticism across the board. 

The draft perception didn't fall off that hard, he went #6 overall. Herbert also had multiple years of high level production at a major program and is 6'6" 240 with a live arm. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The draft perception didn't fall off that hard, he went #6 overall. Herbert also had multiple years of high level production at a major program and is 6'6" 240 with a live arm. 

He was a miss for me. I couldn't stand him at Oregon. Too much hero ball and falling way short in big moments. He was a traits guy that actually developed. 

That said, I also recall being in the minority on him, so yeah, his stock didn't really fall much at all. He was a lock for top 10 all the way through the draft process. 

1 minute ago, ronjon1990 said:

He was a miss for me. I couldn't stand him at Oregon. Too much hero ball and falling way short in big moments. He was a traits guy that actually developed. 

That said, I also recall being in the minority on him, so yeah, his stock didn't really fall much at all. He was a lock for top 10 all the way through the draft process. 

He definitely didn't make the huge leap between his junior and senior seasons that most expected him too but he still had a good final year at Oregon. And his traits were elite, not too many 6'6" 240 guys with his talent level come around.