Derek Carr #4 Appreciation Thread

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

My take? 

We are too reliant on the deep passing game, and it shows in the RZ. Opposing D's simply do not respect our run game and our pass catchers aren't good enough to get separation in tight spaces. We were told the loss of Ruggs' deep threat hurt, and it's the same whether there's 80 or 20 yards to go. We're way too one dimensional in that regard and lack a big bodied, consistent RZ threat outside of Waller who D's double cover constantly. 

20 - 20, we move the ball well because we have someone stretching out the D and opening up underneath routes. Once that is taken away (be it missing a player or not having much field to stretch), we lose a lot of our effectiveness. It was a criticism I had of Ruggs early on (moreso the scheme than just the player, even). He was our deep threat, right? Well, that's great for the 3 or 4 deep plays we actually dial up. The problem is, our other WRs also profile as deep threats, not crisp route guys (Renfrow being the lone exception). Jones isn't a great route guy, he relies on speed and getting open deep. Same now with DJax. Edwards is boom or bust, and most of his effectiveness has come deep rather than short or intermediate. What good is a deep threat when you can't go deep anymore and have nobody to do the route running and getting open that's required in the RZ?

Put simply, we have an offense that is almost fully reliant on 30+ yard TD bombs or we're kicking a FG. 

Carlson had some long fgs tho iirc

15 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Carlson had some long fgs tho iirc

22, 46, 30, 56, 29. 

3 were squarely in the RZ (22, 30, 29), putting the LOS at the 4, 12, and 11. 

A 46 yard FG puts the LOS at Dallas' 27, which is practically RZ range. 

The 56 yarder places the LOS at Dallas' 38 with about 1:55 left. 

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

22, 46, 30, 56, 29. 

3 were squarely in the RZ (22, 30, 29), putting the LOS at the 4, 12, and 11. 

A 46 yard FG puts the LOS at Dallas' 27, which is practically RZ range. 

The 56 yarder places the LOS at Dallas' 38 with about 1:55 left. 

Dam 5 fgs that’s 2 tds lol Carlson to the rescue 

i was just about to say at least we were better in the redzone 

Edited by NCOUGHMAN
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Dam 5 fgs that’s 2 tds lol Carlson to the rescue 

i was just about to say at least we were better in the redzone 

Yeah, considering the down and to-go distance on them, it's a damn shame. 

We can move the ball pretty well (only punted a couple of times and were often fairly close or over the 50 yard line), we just can't get anything working once the field shrinks to about 25 yards or so, and settle for FGs. 

Had we made TDs on the 3 short FGs, you're looking at a 50+ point game. Heck, just one of them puts Dallas in a pretty deep hole at the time and changes the momentum. 

We really need to address our RZ efficiency. I'm ok with getting to the 15-20 and kicking a FG on downs when we wind up in a 4th and whatever situation. That happens to everyone plenty. But we seem to kick a lot after being well inside the 15, even the 10.

With how the D plays, I almost wouldn't hold it against Olsen and Bissacia for saying f it and going for it on 4th and short/goal depending on the distance every single time we get down there after already gaining a lead. I mean, I wouldn't actually do it every single time, but I'd take a stab every now and then to try and get the TD and put the pressure on the opponent. If you're already up a FG and you fail to get the TD/yards to gain, you've trapped them in their own 5-10 yard line anyway. That said, I also like aggressive play calling and have long been sour on our penchant for conceding defeat. 

23 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

Nah, there was a considerable difference in the throws between Carr and Prescott. Prescott got the ball to his recievers faster, compared to  Carr. At least from what I saw watching the game. 

What about that first out to Waller I think it was on the left sideline, with Diggs in coverage? That was like a missile, Diggs was trying to make a play on the ball, Romo said it was a great throw?

He definitely threw a few rainbows though but I thought he was trying to let the WRs get under them and make plays on the ball......

9 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

My take? 

We are too reliant on the deep passing game, and it shows in the RZ. Opposing D's simply do not respect our run game and our pass catchers aren't good enough to get separation in tight spaces. We were told the loss of Ruggs' deep threat hurt, and it's the same whether there's 80 or 20 yards to go. We're way too one dimensional in that regard and lack a big bodied, consistent RZ threat outside of Waller who D's double cover constantly. 

20 - 20, we move the ball well because we have someone stretching out the D and opening up underneath routes. Once that is taken away (be it missing a player or not having much field to stretch), we lose a lot of our effectiveness. It was a criticism I had of Ruggs early on (moreso the scheme than just the player, even). He was our deep threat, right? Well, that's great for the 3 or 4 deep plays we actually dial up. The problem is, our other WRs also profile as deep threats, not crisp route guys (Renfrow being the lone exception). Jones isn't a great route guy, he relies on speed and getting open deep. Same now with DJax. Edwards is boom or bust, and most of his effectiveness has come deep rather than short or intermediate. What good is a deep threat when you can't go deep anymore and have nobody to do the route running and getting open that's required in the RZ?

Put simply, we have an offense that is almost fully reliant on 30+ yard TD bombs or we're kicking a FG. 

This. Plus our OLine is very inclined to blow blocks or give a false start/ holding penalty which often turns 3rd and short into 3rd and long and turns the play from high percentage to low percentage. We simply can't seem to convert a short run for first down which really limits us. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

What about that first out to Waller I think it was on the left sideline, with Diggs in coverage? That was like a missile, Diggs was trying to make a play on the ball, Romo said it was a great throw?

He definitely threw a few rainbows though but I thought he was trying to let the WRs get under them and make plays on the ball......

Like I said, alot of his passes looked slow. The TD pass to Jackson and the deep throw to Renfrow are the ones that really stick out to me. 

You could be right, maybe he was trying to let the WRs get under them. I'm just saying what it looked like to me. Hell, for all I know maybe the TV I was watching made everything seem slower. Kinda like how cameras "add" ten pounds.

11 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

Like I said, alot of his passes looked slow. The TD pass to Jackson and the deep throw to Renfrow are the ones that really stick out to me. 

You could be right, maybe he was trying to let the WRs get under them. I'm just saying what it looked like to me. Hell, for all I know maybe the TV I was watching made everything seem slower. Kinda like how cameras "add" ten pounds.

Carr has never been known for throwing those 20-30 yard ropes like dak. He’s more of a finesse passer imo not really known for his arm strength 

49 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

So the same people that called Carr a check down QB are saying he throws to many deep throws now?

Lol. I think we can all agree now that Carr is simply taking whatever the defense gives him. IMO the only reason Waller and Renfrow get so many catches are because they are the only two that can create separation on short routes. We need more WRs like that. Jones, Edwards, even Drake only get open maybe a few times a game, maybe? Not consistently enough. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SBXISBXVSBXVIII said:

The Raiders used to be too reliant on the dink and dunk passing game. Now they’re too reliant on the deep passing game. It’s so tough sometimes to be a fan of this bipolar team.

said this last week after all meltdowns. 

can't win