Week 3 GDT - Green Bay Packers at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

27 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I don't think I'm too mad at this to be honest. Jimmy could have let it go a few seconds but Juice just ended up scoring here. If you snap it at one and it's an incomplete, you are kind of rushing it at that point. Our offense was not actually smooth in that area all game. If Juice was down at the one or two, you could then call a TO with 18 or 19 seconds. That would have been the best case scenario. 

I don't really see the difference between letting 11 more seconds run off the clock and Juice falling at the two. Both have a "but what if we don't score" possibility. And with three timeouts, the only clock issue is too much time. Personally, I think we could have done anything at this point. 

I'm not ready to replace any of the main culprits but Jimmy at this point. I was perfectly happy giving him every chance to succeed because dumb injuries hampered his development, but he is who he is now. And who he is can be quite pathetic. Mack and Ryans need to figure it out quick, but I think it's quick to rush to judgement there with both of them.

• Like 3

That is called karma for having the stupidity to roll out a group of CBs featuring Jason Verrett (a walking injury) and a bunch of practice squad bums. I love Shanny but it's times like these where I wish he picked a real GM to join him and not his TV analyst buddy. Get a good personnel guy in town so we can stop wasting picks on guys like Aaron Banks and Ambry Thomas.

Defense is not nearly skilled enough to have any real hope about a deep playoff run, might as well let the kid play QB sooner rather than later and see what he's got.

• Like 3

I don't know if is the injury parade that we've had seemingly for about 10 years straight now or the last couple of superbowls or what but I'm fairly numb to the niners losing at this point. Frankly, I didn't think they deserved to win last night or even last week against Philly.

Jimmy has just been too bad for too long at this point and I was one of his defenders for a long time. The Oline hasn't helped him at all I will give him that. But he just looked scared back there last night so many times. LaFluer had every right to be pissed on that call right before the half. It should have been called intentional grounding. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't really see the difference between letting 11 more seconds run off the clock and Juice falling at the two. Both have a "but what if we don't score" possibility. And with three timeouts, the only clock issue is too much time. Personally, I think we could have done anything at this point. 

I'm not ready to replace any of the main culprits but Jimmy at this point. I was perfectly happy giving him every chance to succeed because dumb injuries hampered his development, but he is who he is now. And who he is can be quite pathetic. Mack and Ryans need to figure it out quick, but I think it's quick to rush to judgement there with both of them.

Well, I think the difference is having 18 seconds with the ball at the 2 opposed to having 25 or so seconds at the 12 if it is an incomplete. Granted, with three timeouts you should theoretically be fine. So yeah, Jimmy could have let more seconds go by.

That still does not excuse how the defense let the Packers get 25 yard on the first play. Just inexcusable. 

Ryans needs to either start disguising the coverages better or start going with more two man on those 3rd and medium downs. Forget the last drive, the team kept getting killed on the same damn play on 3rd down. Rodgers knew the coverage and knew exactly what was going to be open. In the second half we took away the deep ball with changing the coverage but that should have been the defense from the start. Sure Jones started to do damage but I'd rather that than giving up 40+ yards on 3rd down. 

I'm sure Ryans saw the type of success this defense had late in the season as Saleh went to more man coverage but our corners at that time (Verrett/Spoon) were playing at an extremely high level. That's not reality for what we have right now. He's going to have to start to adjust to protect them a bit. If that means the run defense takes a hit? So be it. The wrinkle of having Moseley follow Adams was a nice one though. Clearly our best cover corner at the moment and at least he is able to compete some. The others just get destroyed quite easily. Norman though held his own vs Adams on the deep shot and wasn't getting targeted much when he was in the game. One reason why I want to sign Sherman is regardless of how much he has slipped physically, QBs are still hesitant to target him and he continues to defend the deep ball at a high clip. Right now teams are just testing the DBs deep early and often. 

Warner had the DPI, but both Hurts and Rodgers did not target their good TEs when he was covering them. He clearly has the reputation around the league as a top cover backer, which he obviously is. And Ward continues to be lockdown in coverage as well...Those are not the problem and don't need the help, it is the corners that Ryans needs to start helping out. 

Our pass rush also is not great but it's because Ford is not getting enough snaps. The team keeps losing on early downs and then you can't play him since the run threat is still there. If that doesn't change, then expect more of the same going forward.

Our interior OL still is an issue. Just a pathetic performance from those boys that killed plays in both the pass and run game before they started. I wouldn't have even been worried if Smith played since I know Trent would handle him just fine, but Clark was the guy I feared...and he proved my fears right. Just blew up countless of plays.

Anyways, time to get Sherman in the building ASAP. I don't ever want to see Johnson step on a field again. That man comes in and just always allows a big gain or commits a big penalty. He may be a good guy, but go get Sherman and hope Williams' calf injury isn't too bad.

As hard on Jimmy as I was, he did lead three second half TD drives and I give him credit for that. The fumble was horrendous as were some of the other misses but overall he played fine. Still showed he is clutch as hell as he completed some monster 3rd downs and led a late TD drive. That's what he does, definitely a gamer. I'm going to wait for the coaches film to come out, but I was stating during the game that I thought he had some one on one opportunities with Aiyuk against Stokes. You HAVE to take those opportunities when you get them. Aiyuk is a monster at beating single coverage and he even beat Alexander on the TD and that's one of the best corners in the game. Start giving him those chances and you will get to see his true potential.

All in all, definitely not a doom and gloom situation. We could be fine, but need to beat Seattle or at the very least split the next two games. I was just disappointed since I don't think this Packers team is all that good but hey, the team did come back from 17-0 and had a chance to win it late. Things happen, the Packers outplayed us and deserved to win. Not the end of the world!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, I think the difference is having 18 seconds with the ball at the 2 opposed to having 25 or so seconds at the 12 if it is an incomplete. Granted, with three timeouts you should theoretically be fine. So yeah, Jimmy could have let more seconds go by.

That still does not excuse how the defense let the Packers get 25 yard on the first play. Just inexcusable. 

Ryans needs to either start disguising the coverages better or start going with more two man on those 3rd and medium downs. Forget the last drive, the team kept getting killed on the same damn play on 3rd down. Rodgers knew the coverage and knew exactly what was going to be open. In the second half we took away the deep ball with changing the coverage but that should have been the defense from the start. Sure Jones started to do damage but I'd rather that than giving up 40+ yards on 3rd down. 

I'm sure Ryans saw the type of success this defense had late in the season as Saleh went to more man coverage but our corners at that time (Verrett/Spoon) were playing at an extremely high level. That's not reality for what we have right now. He's going to have to start to adjust to protect them a bit. If that means the run defense takes a hit? So be it. The wrinkle of having Moseley follow Adams was a nice one though. Clearly our best cover corner at the moment and at least he is able to compete some. The others just get destroyed quite easily. Norman though held his own vs Adams on the deep shot and wasn't getting targeted much when he was in the game. One reason why I want to sign Sherman is regardless of how much he has slipped physically, QBs are still hesitant to target him and he continues to defend the deep ball at a high clip. Right now teams are just testing the DBs deep early and often. 

Warner had the DPI, but both Hurts and Rodgers did not target their good TEs when he was covering them. He clearly has the reputation around the league as a top cover backer, which he obviously is. And Ward continues to be lockdown in coverage as well...Those are not the problem and don't need the help, it is the corners that Ryans needs to start helping out. 

Our pass rush also is not great but it's because Ford is not getting enough snaps. The team keeps losing on early downs and then you can't play him since the run threat is still there. If that doesn't change, then expect more of the same going forward.

Our interior OL still is an issue. Just a pathetic performance from those boys that killed plays in both the pass and run game before they started. I wouldn't have even been worried if Smith played since I know Trent would handle him just fine, but Clark was the guy I feared...and he proved my fears right. Just blew up countless of plays.

Anyways, time to get Sherman in the building ASAP. I don't ever want to see Johnson step on a field again. That man comes in and just always allows a big gain or commits a big penalty. He may be a good guy, but go get Sherman and hope Williams' calf injury isn't too bad.

As hard on Jimmy as I was, he did lead three second half TD drives and I give him credit for that. The fumble was horrendous as were some of the other misses but overall he played fine. Still showed he is clutch as hell as he completed some monster 3rd downs and led a late TD drive. That's what he does, definitely a gamer. I'm going to wait for the coaches film to come out, but I was stating during the game that I thought he had some one on one opportunities with Aiyuk against Stokes. You HAVE to take those opportunities when you get them. Aiyuk is a monster at beating single coverage and he even beat Alexander on the TD and that's one of the best corners in the game. Start giving him those chances and you will get to see his true potential.

All in all, definitely not a doom and gloom situation. We could be fine, but need to beat Seattle or at the very least split the next two games. I was just disappointed since I don't think this Packers team is all that good but hey, the team did come back from 17-0 and had a chance to win it late. Things happen, the Packers outplayed us and deserved to win. Not the end of the world!

Yeah We took way too long to get into the 2 man but once we did, that stalled their offense in the second half.

Also agree that we should let more time off the clock. My mindset is at that point its score or go home. Don't give Arod a chance at anything. 

I wanted nothing to do with Sherm since I thought his play was starting to drop BUT we could of used him last night. 

I get our guys are young but that's still no excuse to not have multiple hats on Adams during the game and especially at the end.

I honestly didn't even notice Ford until the 4th quarter but like you said, he didn't play as much. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Yeah We took way too long to get into the 2 man but once we did, that stalled their offense in the second half.

Also agree that we should let more time off the clock. My mindset is at that point its score or go home. Don't give Arod a chance at anything. 

I wanted nothing to do with Sherm since I thought his play was starting to drop BUT we could of used him last night. 

I get our guys are young but that's still no excuse to not have multiple hats on Adams during the game and especially at the end.

I honestly didn't even notice Ford until the 4th quarter but like you said, he didn't play as much. 

Ryans is going to have no choice but to be in two man vs the Seahawks. Or else those WRs will absolutely have their way against these DBs. 

The thing with Sherman is that while he is no longer his peak self, the thing about him falling off a cliff was not supported by the numbers/stats. In five games he only allowed 8 catches for 87 yards last season. Opposing QBs still did not test him much at all. You just worry how his body will hold up as he had numerous injuries and played less than a third of the season. You plug him in opposite of Moseley and the secondary play will automatically improve. His high IQ and reputation will help overcome some of his physical slippage. Sign him ASAP!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ryans is going to have no choice but to be in two man vs the Seahawks. Or else those WRs will absolutely have their way against these DBs. 

The thing with Sherman is that while he is no longer his peak self, the thing about him falling off a cliff was not supported by the numbers/stats. In five games he only allowed 8 catches for 87 yards last season. Opposing QBs still did not test him much at all. You just worry how his body will hold up as he had numerous injuries and played less than a third of the season. You plug him in opposite of Moseley and the secondary play will automatically improve. His high IQ and reputation will help overcome some of his physical slippage. Sign him ASAP!

And he said he's lost some weight. He's back down to his LOB weight. I read that he wants a good deal and I'd give it to him asap!

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

And he said he's lost some weight. He's back down to his LOB weight. I read that he wants a good deal and I'd give it to him asap!

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We need his size, too. We've got some sticky coverage guys - Lenoir and Moseley generally get in good positions - but neither of them can hang with bigger, physical receivers. They aren't meant to. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ftn49 said:

I don't know if is the injury parade that we've had seemingly for about 10 years straight now or the last couple of superbowls or what but I'm fairly numb to the niners losing at this point. Frankly, I didn't think they deserved to win last night or even last week against Philly.

Jimmy has just been too bad for too long at this point and I was one of his defenders for a long time. The Oline hasn't helped him at all I will give him that. But he just looked scared back there last night so many times. LaFluer had every right to be pissed on that call right before the half. It should have been called intentional grounding. 

I don't think Jimmy's bad, but he's not 25 mil per year good either.

LOVE your opening statement though. I too am pretty numb to sports in general, and look for better things to do, when I see first halves like last night's.

Stopped watching towards the end of the 2nd quarter, and watched most of the last 5 minutes this morning. When the score was 28-27 ... remaining 37 seconds and no TOs.. for the ref-friendly Aaron Rodgers? I paused game, checked the box score final, and never looked back. 

A loss is a loss, and a playoff shot is far from out of reach, but it's all still whatever. We got bigger problems than whether this or that team wins a trophy. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JIllg said:

We need his size, too. We've got some sticky coverage guys - Lenoir and Moseley generally get in good positions - but neither of them can hang with bigger, physical receivers. They aren't meant to. 

Yeah, especially against Metcalf. We saw last year that Moseley can't hang in that type of match up. Sherman would be able to match his physicality and battle him at the LOS. This signing needs to be announced by noon today lol.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Forge said:

He really has been a nice addition. Glad to hear it wasn't the pec, but damn, that's kind of scary

Very scary, and I think it may be wishful thinking for him to play this week. 

Norman is a high IQ player himself, helps him out. That TD over Lenoir's head? Does not happen with Norman has he would have sunk deeper in the zone and taken that away with his length. Lenoir will learn but he's not there yet.

• Like 1