Packers waive TE Jace Sternberger

RaidersAreOne

19 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I remember Sternberger being talked about as a player with a lot of athleticism and potential leading up to the draft.  What happened to him?  Is he just a bust who can't cut it in the NFL, or what's the problem with him?

Google him and look at his pictures without pads.  When he was drafted, he was very, very thin.  So he needed to put on good weight.  Not sure he did.

But then there was the suspension.  And along the way, coaches let it leak that he wasn't very coachable.

He's got athletic ability, but I think he's a bust.  And it's due to his head.  If he matures?  Maybe he can stick as TE2 or TE3 for a while.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

I remember Sternberger being talked about as a player with a lot of athleticism and potential leading up to the draft.  What happened to him?  Is he just a bust who can't cut it in the NFL, or what's the problem with him?

I drafted him in dynasty so obviously his career could never recover from that.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I think it is a combination of not being very good, and not being available.  He has been passed up by Robert Tonyan and Dominique Dafney, both UDFAs.  Now Tonyan is considered an asset, but he had 4 receptions, 56 yards and a TD for his career when Sternberger was drafted.  Dafney has been just as capable receiving, given the lack of targets, and is a much better blocker.  We have also added Josiah DeGuara in the draft since then too.  

Is he done? I don't know.  He has a lot of work to do though.

• Like 1

Still it is freaking nuts Robert Tonyan took a contract for only around $3.384 mil for one year, he could have been paid far more somewhere else I would guess considering he had 11 TDs last year and is obviously super talented and skilled catching the football.  

Marcedes Lewis being decent is a surprise but since he is good Sternberger was expendable, especially if he has some off the field issues.  And Lewis gets $4 mil a year at 37 years old.  The emergence of Dominique Dafney is key also, he is a great HB type who is a very good blocker.  I am surprised Sternberger has not turned out but he has another chance because dude can get open and catch the football.