Unleash Dillon

Les Punting

Since the TEN game last year, I've been expecting to see MLF try to run Dillon down some teams throat again. Aside from the advantages of putting that type of attack on tape for upcoming opponents, it stands a reasonable chance of being successful. I don't see too many defenses that could stand up to a heavy dose of a guy like Dillon mixed with a bunch of Rodgers on well-set-up PA. It's the gameplan I'd fear most as a defensive coordinator. MLF seems to disagree. Since the TEN game, Dillon has averaged less than 4 carries/game and GB hasn't come close to the 60/40 run/pass ratio they had in his breakout game.    

With Jenkins likely out this week, GB is staring down mismatches on both edges. Bosa and Armstead are going to have their way with Turner/Kelly or anyone else GB can field. MLF shouldn't expect to effectively run his typical offense, unless he want to see sacks and turnovers. GB needs a different offensive strategy this week. It's the perfect opportunity to feature a run/Dillon-heavy approach. It'll sufficiently reduce risk and open things up in the passing game while controlling the clock enough to protect their vulnerable defense. 

C'mon, MLF. Unleash Dillon, already. 

• Like 2

I think we tried but he did not get it going vs. NO, well no one did. He got a bit more traction vs. Det but had some slip ups in pass pro and 33 was clearly the man of the hour. I think he will get his touches, just not the primary option. I look forward to seeing him as the weather turns ugly. 

My post from Wednesday....."I can see it now....Rodgers throwing a quick pass to Jones out of the backfield for a three yard loss....Setting up 2nd/3rd and long....Niners defensive line pinning their ears back and coming in hard on Rodgers....Obviously if we can't establish a running game, it will be a long game....What happened to Dillon against the Lions?....Was basically invisible all game....He needs to be a bruiser and help take pressure off Jones and the rest of the offense...."

44 minutes ago, cannondale said:

The offense has to run through Jones. He creates the most issues for the defense. Dillon is for spot duty and clean up 

I would like to see them try and use Dillon like Favre and McCarthy used Henderson....Make him a blocking back that occasionally catches screen passes...Not sure however how good of a blocker he (Dillon) is and how well he would take to that role....Henderson appeared to relish his role as a blocker for Dorsey Levens....

Edited by 40Year Pack Fan

19 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

We didn't pay Jones and not sign a DL so that we could "Unleash Dillon". 

That was a bad call from Day 1.

Are we still arguing that Jones' $4.4m cap hit somehow impeded us from signing a competent DL this off-season? 

We didn't sign a DL for the same reason we haven't done so in 3 years...because Gute and his crew somehow can't see what every other front office and most fans can see...that his 2-4 DL guys can't play.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Are we still arguing that Jones' $4.4m cap hit somehow impeded us from signing a competent DL this off-season? 

We didn't sign a DL for the same reason we haven't done so in 3 years...because Gute and his crew somehow can't see what every other front office and most fans can see...that his 2-4 DL guys can't play.

You're forgetting the part where if you're gonna re-sign Jones, why burn a Top 100 draft pick on Dillon.  Or straight up why draft a Top 100 FB ?  Or draft an Edge at #12 when you just spent $200m at Edge via FA. Or if you're all in why draft a QB ?   Agree or disagree, there are valid questions about Gute drafting upside down.