Trevor Lawrence is looking like a bad pick for the Jags

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Take how you feel about Agholor and Harry, then remove the connection with Henry (or any decent TE), then remove the good running game, then remove the Josh McDaniels offense and the Bill Belichick-coached organization. That's the situation Lawrence is in. 

I'll repeat: there's no denying Mac is in a better situation. My point is he should absolutely get credit for elevating some of the talent around him. He's got one of the worst WR corps in the league.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DerbyRam said:

I believe that the Patriots would be the #1 seed with Lawrence at QB in their situation. 

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

I could see it

That's not a particularly hot take, since it would only require one more win.

DVOA - 28th

Passer rating - 32nd

QBR - 29th

ANY/A - 29th

EPA/play - 27th

PFF ranking (according to RandyMossIsBoss' latest thread) - 30th

--

That doesn't look good, and oftentimes neither has Lawrence. But it's foolish to make a determination on the quality of the pick based on a rookie season. Wilson and Fields look bad too. Josh Allen looked really bad in his rookie season as well, and now he's a top 10 QB.

Edited by childofpudding
  • Like 1

The situation is much worse for Lawrence. That said, folks are overthinking what their eyes are seeing. At this point in development, Mac is WAY better. If they switched spots, the Jaguars would be better and the Patriots worse THIS YEAR. Going forward, who knows, but this year has been clear to see. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NudeTayne said:

The situation is much worse for Lawrence. That said, folks are overthinking what their eyes are seeing. At this point in development, Mac is WAY better. If they switched spots, the Jaguars would be better and the Patriots worse THIS YEAR. Going forward, who knows, but this year has been clear to see. 

Fairly certain the people bringing this to light are using the assumption that he’d have had the off-season/TC to go through it with competent coaching who are actually putting him in an offense that fits his skill set/strengths. Not just dumping him in the bucket all the sudden right now.

The Jaguars should pursue someone from the Shanahan/McVay tree to be their next HC. They won't be able to remake their entire offense in one offseason, but the system those guys run is ideal for scheming guys open and taking advantage of a QB's arm talent while covering up for deficiencies in processing (see: the first couple of years of Jared Goff and Jimmy G). So even if Lawrence doesn't turn out to be anything special, they can at least get a few productive seasons out of him before the league figures out what his weaknesses are. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Fairly certain the people bringing this to light are using the assumption that he’d have had the off-season/TC to go through it with competent coaching who are actually putting him in an offense that fits his skill set/strengths. Not just dumping him in the bucket all the sudden right now.

Or maybe Lawrence would have gotten Bellichik fired and Mac in Jacksonville leads to Urban celebrating his playoff berth at the club this week.

Just kidding.

4 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah but Mac Jones had epitomized being a  "not a rookie" rookie QB. I Ddont get the chance to watch college football and it doesn't get any air time at all here in Ireland, but looking at this play this year it's galling to me how widely he ws being seen as a first round bust in the making. 

11 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

Yeah but Mac Jones had epitomized being a  "not a rookie" rookie QB. I Ddont get the chance to watch college football and it doesn't get any air time at all here in Ireland, but looking at this play this year it's galling to me how widely he ws being seen as a first round bust in the making. 

Hmm, not sure I heard that. I remember a lot of people being ehh on him due to his upside/ceiling, but felt like most thought he was capable of being a quality starting NFL QB.