Post Game Thoughts. Browns.

cconocool

1 hour ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why would players come back to the team after leaving if the leadership was so toxic? It's not looking like a great thing for the Vikings,  but Barr took less money to stay with the Vikings. 

Griffen came back, Richardson came back, Alexander came back. Stephen came back. Barr took less. Richardson took less.

Kearse got arrested for DUI and was upset about being in the doghouse. 

Diggs never said anything about Zimmer. His frustration was about the change in offense after he signed his big deal.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, vikesfan89 said:

Why would players come back to the team after leaving if the leadership was so toxic? It's not looking like a great thing for the Vikings,  but Barr took less money to stay with the Vikings. 

I can only speculate, but I'll give it my best guess.

Mike Zimmer has guys that he considers his guys -- guys like Terrance Newman.  He treats those guys very well. Those guys like him. Guys in this group do not get preferential treatment other places and are very happy to return.

Other guys see a double standard in treatment and have a very different experience with Mike Zimmer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I’m not sure this has been mentioned, but  P^2 also came to the Vikings because of Zimmer. 

“Peterson chose the Vikings as his new home for one primary reason: Mike Zimmer.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingsterritory.com/2021/general-news/patrick-peterson-joined-the-vikings-for-one-main-reason/amp

Yeah it's great Peterson came to the Vikings he's been a real difference maker for us

On 10/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, sinceAtikevike said:

"Guys that are currently employed by NFL teams" would be 99.9999975% of GM candidates, right? You can't talk to them yet so why create the havoc of firing your GM mid-season?

If it is just in the spirit of anger toward Spielman then the Wilfs have to take a step back from that anger and run the business like a professional organization and wait until the season ends.

I disagree with this. Firing your GM early allows for ownership to start thinking about potential candidates (not necessarily tied to a team or already tied to a team). It also allows ownership internally to say more losses will make it more attractive (especially when potential GM discuss the possibility of trading Cousins). 

there’s only 32 GM positions, but interest for the position way out paces this number. The benefit is to hear what others think is wrong with the organization (early and free advice/options) plus they’d also have somewhat of a first movers advantage

16 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

I’m not sure this has been mentioned, but  P^2 also came to the Vikings because of Zimmer. 

“Peterson chose the Vikings as his new home for one primary reason: Mike Zimmer.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/vikingsterritory.com/2021/general-news/patrick-peterson-joined-the-vikings-for-one-main-reason/amp

You mean he wouldn’t say

”I came to the Vikings because Zimmer told Rick to get me at all costs and due to this I got a far higher 1-year contract than I thought was possible. Thank you Mike. I’m here for one primary reason: Mike Zimmer”

Wasnt Barr taking less money kind of a wash because of state taxes compared to New York/New Jersey and Minnesota? So ultimately he was getting the same amount of money, Just looked like he was taking less because of tax reasons.

Players also want to play and I dont necessarily recall teams lining up at Sheldon Richardsons and Mack Alexanders door to sign them (I could be wrong and am going off of memory here) I dont think either of those 2 players visited another team if my memory serves me correct,

Edited by mattyice0401

"It was mostly when I hung up the phone after saying, 'Yeah I can do New York,'" Barr said on NFL Network (via the New York Post's Brian Costello). "My stomach dropped, I kind of get some cold sweats. ... It was like you're about to go down the altar and marry the wrong woman. I think I'm making a bad choice. I did what I felt was right for myself."

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I disagree with this. Firing your GM early allows for ownership to start thinking about potential candidates (not necessarily tied to a team or already tied to a team). It also allows ownership internally to say more losses will make it more attractive (especially when potential GM discuss the possibility of trading Cousins). 

there’s only 32 GM positions, but interest for the position way out paces this number. The benefit is to hear what others think is wrong with the organization (early and free advice/options) plus they’d also have somewhat of a first movers advantage

With which part do you disagree? I'm surprised at a couple people who've posted stating there are potentially potential candidates not employed by NFL teams with whom the Vikings could talk. Who are these non-NFL people that we want to talk to as GM candidates which makes firing Rick now worthwhile?

@CriminalMind "not necessarily tied to a team or already tied to a team"

@Cearbhall "I  do not believe that 99.9999999975% of GM candidates are currently employed in the NFL."

36 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

With which part do you disagree? I'm surprised at a couple people who've posted stating there are potentially potential candidates not employed by NFL teams with whom the Vikings could talk. Who are these non-NFL people that we want to talk to as GM candidates which makes firing Rick now worthwhile?

@Cearbhall "I  do not believe that 99.9999999975% of GM candidates are currently employed in the NFL."

The first people I would be talking to after firing Spielman would be a consulting firm.  They would be available.

Depends on that the team wants, but off the top of my head a couple guys they can talk to would be Louis Riddick and Daniel Jerimiah.  I bet a consulting firm would turn up lots of others. Lots of guys in the NFL would let the consulting firm know they may be interested once the job was formally opened and a search formally commenced.

Rick Smith is another guy worth talking to.

Edited by Cearbhall

43 minutes ago, sinceAtikevike said:

A couple other names the Vikings could openly talk to:

Jamaal Stephenson

Peyton Manning

Then there are all the guys that the team can't openly talk to, but their agents would talk to a consulting firms and let their availability be known for the Vikings to consider.

Getting an early start would be a huge benefit. It would be invaluable. 

Edited by Cearbhall

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

“Players don’t like Mike Zimmer!”

*gets shown example after example of players wanting to play for Mike Zimmer

”That doesn’t count!”

It's easy to win an argument when you just get to ignore facts and make up your own. Suppose it was only a matter of time before "fake news" spilled over into sports. 

And I'm not even opposed to firing Zimmer and/or Spielman. There are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so, and some legitimate reasons not to do so. I just hate when people make up crap with no basis in fact or reality. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 4