Packers sign LB Jaylon Smith; Released

RaidersAreOne

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

what happened?

Mostly between the ears.  He really got drunk off the smell of his own farts once he got paid.  He went from being a guy that would bang with O-lineman and stick his nose in there to tackle in 2018 to playing like a 185lb DB when anyone above 250lbs or more came his way. Classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane".  He would do the O-linemen a favor and wash himself out of plays without contact.  Shot the wrong gaps. Dance around in place trying to understand what was happening and then chase down the runner from behind.  His constant whiffing on tackles was killing us in the run game.  It was basically like we were playing with 10 guys on defense.  Actually, it was worse than that due to the next part:

What pissed me off the most was his boneheaded drive-extending mishaps.   It was like clockwork.  Our defense would be struggling to make a stop and when we finally made a rare stop on 3rd and long, out came the flag because Jaylon went helmet to helmet with the QB, held an RB coming out of the backfield, hit a guy way out of bounds unnecessarily, facemask, etc.  So, it was worse than having 10 men on defense, because he we could never get off the field even if we got lucky in making a stop. 

His situational awareness was poor, both in LB instincts, read&react, but his self-awareness was appalling.  When questioned about his bad play, he'd refer to his tackling numbers (gang tackles 10 yards past the LOS) or tell people to "watch the tape".  No self awareness. Lets not get started on his stupid "swipe move" that came out on the worst plays.  

Jaylon just plain sabotaged the defense in every way starting around mid-2019.  That's about the time I coined the nickname "Faylon" for him on another forum.  Once you saw how bad his playing stood out from the rest of the defense, you couldn't unsee it.  It was like someone stuck a jersey on a make-a-wish kid and pushed him on the field.  His only instructions were to try to "blend in and have some fun!".   I used to tell co-workers, "Watch #54 tonight.  Dude is so, SO bad it's actually funny,  He's going to make himself look very busy...but not actually do anything."

Anyway, it's been so refreshing not having to see his dead weight out there acting like a turnstile for runs up the middle. I had forgotten what it was like to see an RB get tackled at the 2nd level.  So strange.  I think I like it. 

Edited by ///mcompact
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, ///mcompact said:

Mostly between the ears.  He really got drunk off the smell of his own farts once he got paid.  He went from being a guy that would bang with O-lineman and stick his nose in there to tackle in 2018 to playing like a 185lb DB when anyone above 250lbs or more came his way. Classic "Look like Tarzan, play like Jane".  He would do the O-linemen a favor and wash himself out of plays without contact.  Shot the wrong gaps. Dance around in place trying to understand what was happening and then chase down the runner from behind.  His constant whiffing on tackles was killing us in the run game.  It was basically like we were playing with 10 guys on defense.  Actually, it was worse than that due to the next part:

What pissed me off the most was his boneheaded drive-extending mishaps.   It was like clockwork.  Our defense would be struggling to make a stop and when we finally made a rare stop on 3rd and long, out came the flag because Jaylon went helmet to helmet with the QB, held an RB coming out of the backfield, hit a guy way out of bounds unnecessarily, facemask, etc.  So, it was worse than having 10 men on defense, because he we could never get off the field even if we got lucky in making a stop. 

His situational awareness was poor, both in LB instincts, read&react, but his self-awareness was appalling.  When questioned about his bad play, he'd refer to his tackling numbers (gang tackles 10 yards past the LOS) or tell people to "watch the tape".  No self awareness. Lets not get started on his stupid "swipe move" that came out on the worst plays.  

Jaylon just plain sabotaged the defense in every way starting around mid-2019.  That's about the time I coined the nickname "Faylon" for him on another forum.  Once you saw how bad his playing stood out from the rest of the defense, you couldn't unsee it.  It was like someone stuck a jersey on a make-a-wish kid and pushed him on the field.  His only instructions were to try to "blend in and have some fun!".   I used to tell co-workers, "Watch #54 tonight.  Dude is so, SO bad it's actually funny,  He's going to make himself look very busy...but not actually do anything."

Anyway, it's been so refreshing not having to see his dead weight out there acting like a turnstile for runs up the middle. I had forgotten what it was like to see an RB get tackled at the 2nd level.  So strange.  I think I like it. 

This about sums it up. 

His constant need to turn every play another guy on defense made into something where had to go show up and act like he made the play was annoying as well. 

• Like 2