Packers sign LB Jaylon Smith; Released

RaidersAreOne

Just now, Packerraymond said:

There's just no room on a gameday roster for a backup ILB that doesn't play ST. All our other backups have to be active for teams. Doesn't leave any room for Jaylon. Better learn ST or he's done, not a starter anymore but he's still functional.

That was the issues in Dallas too. Jaylon refused to play ST and he was not good at LB. Packers had a bigger need at LB than Dallas and they still let him go.

1 minute ago, ACO said:

That was the issues in Dallas too. Jaylon refused to play ST and he was not good at LB. Packers had a bigger need at LB than Dallas and they still let him go.

We really didn't need him. Campbell has bee Pro Bowl worthy this year and Kris Barnes is an ascending player. I think they were hoping he'd be better at blitzing and rushing than he was. Once Mercilus became available, they didn't need him as a sub rusher either. 

15 minutes ago, ACO said:

I have said in the Packers board, and I will repeat it here, he is just a slower version of Oren Burks right now.  Burks was a liability the last two years, and has taken a step up to serviceable this year.  Not a great draft pick.  But Burks is faster, and he plays special teams.  Like Smith, he can also line up as an edge player occasionally, though you don't want that down-in-down-out.  If a team needs a LB to play from scrimmage, you could probably do worse.  But the Packers have Campbell and Barnes, with Burks as a sub and STs guy, and Ty Summers and Isiah McDuffie as mainly STs guys, all at the position.  There just isn't room.  

@iknowcool, do the Panthers have any need for just a straight up back-up ILB? He is probably serviceable.  

Jaylon will probably find another team but my guess it will be the same situation eventually. They will realize he is too slow and his instincts aren't sharp anymore. I do wish him all the best though but I don't see him last that much longer in a league that wants speed.