Why are the Dolphins so bad?

Apparition

I really don't think they are that terrible. It just sort of depends on how good you thought they were last season. I don't think they were as good as some people assumed they were. 

Last season they had 1 win against teams with a winning record. Most of their wins came on the backs of under achieving teams, or teams that were just plain bad, Jets, Jaguars, Bengals. Now, I know you can only play the teams on your schedule, so the criticism often seems unfair. That doesn't make it invalid.

Last season they also feasted on turnovers. Which are horribly unpredictable and therefore unsustainable. 

So far this season their offensive line is pretty bad. Tua is also hurt, while he was never really lighting it up like Burrow or Herbert, I believe he still gives them the best chance to win... And he hasn't been on the field. The turnovers seem to be averaging out, and the Dolphins seem to find themselves on the wrong side of the luck/close game paradigm so far this year.

If you look at the remainder of their schedule it is not hard to see wins there. Playoff type wins? That might be a stretch, but far more than Jacksonville or Jets type wins. Which might be a more accurate picture of what this team is than last year. 

On 10/11/2021 at 11:09 AM, Apparition said:

Can't wait for people to try to discredit Josh Allen's success with this once he starts winning Super Bowls.  🙃

They'll eventually give him credit when he wins a SB in Carolina...

Because they don't have good QB play. There is always a big misconception when people always say QB "X" can't win a SB...No, an average QB can win a SB, but it is hard to sustain top level play without a top level QB. Guys like Rodgers/Wilson/etc will not guarantee you a SB, but they will take their teams to the playoffs for the majority of the seasons in their prime. 

Dolphins had a top 5-6 pass defense last season that helped carry them for a good part of the year and now that they don't, they are unable to win the games they won last season. I think eventually they will turn it around to a certain extent. 

MIA's problems aren't just limited to QB play IMO. 

1.  Their OL is really subpar.   The picks GM Chris Grier accumulated over time were fantastic - the pick return on their actual OL picks have been incredibly underwhelming so far.    It's early enough it's not a lost cause, but the cumulative misses so far really hurt.

2.  Their DL isn't generating enough pressure, and the CB's aren't quite as great this year as they were this year.    As a result, they're not getting TO's as they did last year.

3.  They're not playing a 4th place schedule anymore.   The 4th place schedule is why I projected DEN to a 8-9W floor, even with just "average" QB play, for this year.

4.  And yes, Tua / Brissett have underwhelmed.  Fitz did play a lot better in 2021 than the QB's have so far this year, but you don't get this start without #1, #2 & #3 factored in, either.

Edited by Broncofan

On 10/11/2021 at 4:52 AM, NYRaider said:

Because they were overrated to begin with. Yes the 10 wins looks great on paper but only 1 of those wins was against a team that finished with a winning record, they benefited from a super soft schedule. 

Also, Fitzpatrick played really good in some of those wins, and also had to come in for Tua and win a game that would've surely been a loss had Tua stayed in. Tua has NOT replicated that level of play that Fitz has in those first few wins. 

I don't buy the hype either. I also don't think Tua will be much more than a middle of the pack QB or borderline top-10 QB at best. Of course, he could be much better than that, but I don't see it. The defense played a lot of crap offenses to inflate their stats, but got their roofs blown off by Buffalo in week 17. Their O-line is trash and Tua is fragile. Not a good mix. 

In my mind- fully healthy- they're and 8-10 win team that won't do squat in the playoffs. They just can't keep up with many teams offensively even if they do have a good defense. 

19 minutes ago, WizeGuy said:

In my mind- fully healthy- they're and 8-10 win team that won't do squat in the playoffs. They just can't keep up with many teams offensively even if they do have a good defense. 

Ehh, I think that you're really overrating Tua/underrating Fitzmagic.