Re-sign De'Vondre Campbell, Davante Adams & Corey Bojorquez

{Family Ghost}

Just now, cannondale said:

First of all, in order to make Adams tradeable, the Packers would have to tag him. That's simply not how they operate. In doing so, you also piss off Adams. Again, not something the Packers go out of their way to do. And I do think that's a tough sell with Adams contract demands. That's a lot a crap to deal with to get at most a second round pick. Just take the probably 3rd round compensatory pick, save yourself a whole lot of hassle and stay player friendly. I love Adams, but he is in a tough spot as well, and I'm sure he knows that. 

If it's necessary to tag a player - any player - in order to make him tradeable.....the Packers might not have done it in the past, but in a climate of increasing player empowerment / movement - they should reconsider their options.

No successful business enterprise gets / stays that way by operating to avoid "a lot of crap and hassle."

IMO Adams is far from in a tough spot. His desire to be the highest paid WR with a fully guaranteed contract - all laudable goals - will be met by the markets ability and willingness to met them. Either way, he's got a boat load of cash in the bank and he's gonna cash in again- so I dont view him as being in a bad way.

9 minutes ago, cannondale said:

First of all, in order to make Adams tradeable, the Packers would have to tag him. That's simply not how they operate. In doing so, you also piss off Adams. Again, not something the Packers go out of their way to do. And I do think that's a tough sell with Adams contract demands. That's a lot a crap to deal with to get at most a second round pick. Just take the probably 3rd round compensatory pick, save yourself a whole lot of hassle and stay player friendly. I love Adams, but he is in a tough spot as well, and I'm sure he knows that. 

They need to change the way they operate then.  Silverstein put out an article today that said that other conservative teams like the Steelers are starting to give out more guaranteed money to their star players (TJ Watt deal).  The Bears have tagged Allen Robinson for two years in a row.  He hasn't rioted or revolted yet .. and neither will Davonte.

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2021/10/13/packers-need-reward-davante-adams-being-nfls-best-receiver/8422363002/

Edited by {Family Ghost}
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, cannondale said:

Jaire, Jenkins, Gary, and Love will all be knocking on the vault doors sooner rather than later. The starting point on those 4 combined is probably 100m/year

Jenkins and Jaire have really earned their money.

Not sure that Gary or Love will be breaking any bank.  They really gotta prove it.

Gary is getting a lot more snaps with Z out.  1.5 sacks.  Some hurries.   It isn't like he is tearing it up just yet.

And Love is almost an unknown right now.

Campbell should be a pretty easy resigning. Adams....I just don't see it when you have Jenkins and Alexander coming due for paydays. Both take priority over Adams who will be 29 this year. 

When Rodgers leaves next year, I think you're looking at a total revamp of the WR room. Adams gone, MVS gone, Cobb gone, maybe even Lazard gone. 

Edited by packfanfb

5 hours ago, cannondale said:

If "I doubt he turns down a truly good deal" means highest paid WR fully guaranteed, then yes, he won't turn it down. No hometown discount. The problem is, he turns 29 in December and you can probably count on one hand the number of WR's who produce Top 5 numbers after age 31. I read somewhere that the sticking point on a new contract is that the Packers don't want to guarantee the back end of any contract. And rightly so. Since Love's first year (minimum) is probably a throw away, what value are you getting from Adams ??

Jaire, Jenkins, Gary, and Love will all be knocking on the vault doors sooner rather than later. The starting point on those 4 combined is probably 100m/year

If the cap starts to jump as expected in '24, the Packers can probably get a lot done with that group of FAs.

Next year though? That's going to be a small nightmare to start.

5 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Chris Godwin (26)

JuJu Smith-Schuster (25)

Courtland Sutton (27)

Calvin Ridley (27)

Dj Moore is currently pricing himself out, hes having a breakout season,  I took out some players i dont think are number one receivers in this offense, or theyre in the same age bracket as Davante.
The options i left i feel are doable and theyve shown they can be a number one receiver in the right situation. They are young enough to take a shorter contract with good money searching for a bigger extension, and theyve been hit by injuries or recent lack of production/ bad situation so it will drive their price down some.
of course id like Adams back but this is a scenario i could go with.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Campbell should be a pretty easy resigning. Adams....I just don't see it when you have Jenkins and Alexander coming due for paydays. Both take priority over Adams who will be 29 this year. 

When Rodgers leaves next year, I think you're looking at a total revamp of the WR room. Adams gone, MVS gone, Cobb gone, maybe even Lazard gone. 

When I look at Campbell all I see is a 4th comp pick.

JuJu and Sutton are grossly overrated TBH. They're both WR2's at this point in the game. I wish we would've gotten something done last year with Adams - it may have diminished the controversy with Rodgers. 

As for Campbell, I'm still shocked he was available when we signed him TBH. He's done nothing but produce for every team he's ever played for. I'd give him a 4-year contract with incentives. There's no reason he and Barnes shouldn't be the starters there moving forward with a Day 3 pick(Mike Rose maybe?) backing them up.