What TV Show Are You Watching?

Adrenaline_Flux

On 5/29/2024 at 8:18 AM, Fresh Prince said:

any good adventure/history shows?

couldn’t get into the new national treasure show, and the Robert Langdon peacock show was awful. 

I'm not sure if this exactly matches what you're looking for, but 1883 is an adventure show set in, well, 1883, that follows a group of people traveling across the uncharted parts of the United States and all the difficulties involved with that(so covers history in that kind of term I guess/the difficulties of that time frame). To my understanding though the media you mentioned is people in modern times interacting with historical things.

It's a Yellowstone prequel, but you don't need to have seen Yellowstone to watch it. The only real notable reference to Yellowstone is the main family in the group are ancestors of the family in Yellowstone.

I enjoy(still enjoying, I guess, waiting on the final season) Yellowstone, but I think 1883 is a clear step above, if not multiple steps in quality.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm not sure if this exactly matches what you're looking for, but 1883 is an adventure show set in, well, 1883, that follows a group of people traveling across the uncharted parts of the United States and all the difficulties involved with that(so covers history in that kind of term I guess/the difficulties of that time frame). To my understanding though the media you mentioned is people in modern times interacting with historical things.

It's a Yellowstone prequel, but you don't need to have seen Yellowstone to watch it. The only real notable reference to Yellowstone is the main family in the group are ancestors of the family in Yellowstone.

I enjoy(still enjoying, I guess, waiting on the final season) Yellowstone, but I think 1883 is a clear step above, if not multiple steps in quality.

Thanks for the referral but I don’t have paramount 

watching this mini-series from the early 90s, where john lurie takes people like tom waits, willem dafoe, dennis hopper, matt dillon and jim jarmusch fishing. they rarely catch anything. it's gave me the most frequent actual laugh out loud moments a show has maybe ever. 

can watch it on youtube if you're looking for something that's a good hang out show that has a really comfy vibe. the second half of the waits episode probably made me laugh the hardest

On 5/7/2024 at 10:58 AM, beekay414 said:

I'm about halfway through Succession. While good, I'm not seeing an all-timer. People got hyped after season 4 so I'm going to assume it pops off the at some point.

On 5/16/2024 at 11:30 AM, adamq said:

I just can't see myself being interested in or caring about a bunch of rich *******s acting like rich *******s. I will probably try it someday, but it is way on the back burner

See...there are shows like this that i can really get into.  Like...Suits was engrossing, even though pretty much everyone was a selfish arrogant rich *******.  It still sucks you in.  Same for Billions.  Really enjoyed that even though i kind of hate all the characters...you end up sort of rooting for them anyway, in a roundabout way.

For whatever reason...Succession just never grabbed me that way.  I just kinda didn't like anyone.  It had some funny moments of satirical situational comedic value...but so much of it is just listening to these unlikeable, unrelatable *******s going on about their petty power squabbles.  It was just...boring, when i didn't have any real investment in any of the characters.

Don't really get what some people saw in the show to justify the wild hype it got.

On 5/21/2024 at 5:42 AM, THE DUKE said:

Network TV is generally a wasteland, but The Rookie is still managing to come up with compelling storylines.

And while still not a great show, I think season 2 of Fire Country has been better than season 1, i'm about 6 or 7 episodes in.

Yeah.  The Rookie is a weird outlier in network TV that is somehow walking that line between "formulaic" and still managing to do some interesting and funny things with a bit of novelty.  Manages to not be "just another cop show".  Though honestly...the episodes i enjoy most are typically the ones that are basically episodic standalones.  Not the ones that dive heavily way into the multi-episode story arcs.  The big "villains" storylines tend to fall pretty flat for me.

On 5/31/2024 at 9:27 AM, beekay414 said:

Better than Letterkenny

Nah.  Shoresy is good, but Letterkenny is still a clear tier above on the whole.  A lot more seasons of Letterkenny, so there are a few in there that don't quite hold up as well.  But the average is better and broader in subject matter, and the best of Lettekenny absolutely blows the best of Shoresy out of the water.

I feel like there are parts of Shoresy that are trying way too hard to be a little bit more "serious" and end up just kind of boring tbh.

I wonder if we did another best Series of all time thing, would the results hold up or would seeding be affected by more people having seen a lot of them through streaming.  Maybe the top 5 would stay level, but a lot of newer shows might hop in, and more people who only binge will have seen them (thinking shows like Better Call saul Stranger Things, etc).

8 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Does anyone else still watch Outer Range? We're half way through season 2, and I am starting to wonder the purpose of the slow burn behind this?

I haven’t watched the show but was considering it bcuz I’m a fan of Josh Brolin but sci-fi mixed with westerns are like oil and vinegar so I didn’t pull the trigger. How was season 1?

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

I haven’t watched the show but was considering it bcuz I’m a fan of Josh Brolin but sci-fi mixed with westerns are like oil and vinegar so I didn’t pull the trigger. How was season 1?

Didn’t love it but was intrigued enough to continue. Kinda wondering why now. 

10 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Oil and Vinegar go great together.  It's literally a vinaigrette.  Which are some of the best things.

But also...sci fi and westerns also tend to go together unusually well, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.  A lot of great scifi has strong *** Western themes and tropes.

Firefly immediately comes to mind.  Killjoys is outstanding as well.  Tons of other shows and movies that marry the two.  It can definitely be done wrong though too.  There are some very bad examples if the balance or emphasis is off.

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Oil and Vinegar go great together.  It's literally a vinaigrette.  Which are some of the best things.

But also...sci fi and westerns also tend to go together unusually well, even if it doesn't make a lot of sense.  A lot of great scifi has strong *** Western themes and tropes.

Firefly immediately comes to mind.  Killjoys is outstanding as well.  Tons of other shows and movies that marry the two.  It can definitely be done wrong though too.  There are some very bad examples if the balance or emphasis is off.

Pretty sure you already know that oil and vinegar not mixing well is just an expression. And I should’ve specified -science fiction in a western setting doesn’t work.  Not saying it can’t but it hasn't in my experience. Cowboys vs Aliens was horrible. Wild Wild West was unwatchable. 

Star Wars and most recently The Mandalorian can have a western tone to them in a sci-fi universe which works great.  I haven’t seen Firefly and don’t care to but I did see Serenity and wasn’t feeling it.  I’ll never understand the fuss for Nathan Fillion but I digress…

2 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Pretty sure you already know that oil and vinegar not mixing well is just an expression. And I should’ve specified -science fiction in a western setting doesn’t work.  Not saying it can’t but it hasn't in my experience. Cowboys vs Aliens was horrible. Wild Wild West was unwatchable. 

Star Wars and most recently The Mandalorian can have a western tone to them in a sci-fi universe which works great.  I haven’t seen Firefly and don’t care to but I did see Serenity and wasn’t feeling it.  I’ll never understand the fuss for Nathan Fillion but I digress…

I've always just heard Oil and Water not mixing as the expression.  🤷‍♀️

idk what you're getting at with Oil and Vinegar not mixing.  Even if it's not permanent without an emulsifier, it's the basis of like a ton of salad dressings and stuff.  😆  And technically, the reason vinegar doesn't permanently mix with oil, is because it has so much water in it.  lol.  Same reason cheese doesn't mix well with milk, without some sort of intermediary.  Milk is too watery, and water doesn't mix with fats (including oils).  But i feel like this might be a bit of a weird tangent...

Cowboys vs Aliens was indeed pretty horrible.  That didn't work at all.  But i think it was more about the movie just being kinda terrible, than the setting per se.  Because Wild West wicki wicki Will West.  Desperado.  Rough rida', no you don't want nada.  That's a great action comedy movie.  I wouldn't even call it "scifi" in any meaningful way though.  The scifi element was window dressing at most...and really more of like a pre-steampunk type thing or something.

Firefly is great too.  Serenity almost kinda needs you to see Firefly to understand it better, which isn't ideal.  But it's also pretty good if you do invest in the whole thing.  But if you don't really like or "get" Nathan Fillion, it's probably not gonna be your thing.  Like a lot of the work he's done, it's very actor/character driven.  So if you don't get the fuss for Nathan Fillion, or the rest of the fantastic cast...it's probably not going to be your thing.  But that seems like a bigger stumbling block than the "Western" element to it.

I'd be curious to see what you think of Killjoys.  If the strong "western" element still completely throws you off.  I feel like there's a somewhat natural marriage conceptually, between "westerns" and "scifi".  It's all about new frontiers.  And realistically...most planets we encounter are going to be a little bit like the desolate "wild west" and "pioneer living" in a lot of ways.  Which is where even things like The Expanse have had vaguely "western" settings and themes at times.  Heck, even Star Trek constantly goes there (even if it's mostly temporal anomalies and the holodeck malfunctioning).

52 minutes ago, Tugboat said:

idk what you're getting at with Oil and Vinegar not mixing.  Even if it's not permanent without an emulsifier, it's the basis of like a ton of salad dressings and stuff.  😆  And technically, the reason vinegar doesn't permanently mix with oil, is because it has so much water in it.  lol.  Same reason cheese doesn't mix well with milk, without some sort of intermediary.  Milk is too watery, and water doesn't mix with fats (including oils).  But i feel like this might be a bit of a weird tangent...e

da165f75-1791-45c0-85b2-d5aa6d329756_tex

😁

• Like 1