Trade Deadline - Nov. 2

packfanfb

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Also Fletcher Cox playing next to Clark on the 7-1 Packers is not Philly Fletcher Cox in a scheme he's complained about since before Week 1. 

Yep. I remember Bears fans complaining about Peppers play in 2013 when he signed with GB in the offseason. We see it all the time year after year with various players leaving bad situations.

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Keeping draft picks. I mean I don't think we've traded a draft pick above a 7 (maybe a 6) for a player in 15 years unless I'm forgetting someone? 

Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't sure what you meant. But I disagree that it goes against everything the FO stands for. Gute has moved picks for guys he likes previously. It's just rare to hit a perfect storm where picks higher than a 5th or 6th are warranted for an available player.

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Thanks for the explanation, I wasn't sure what you meant. But I disagree that it goes against everything the FO stands for. Gute has moved picks for guys he likes previously. It's just rare to hit a perfect storm where picks higher than a 5th or 6th are warranted for an available player.

Once in a while it's okay to "overpay" though. Wolf traded a 2nd for Keith Jackson when we already had Chmura on the roster. Sherman traded a 2 for Al Harris in 2003. For the second year in a row the Packers are in prime position to be a top seed and maybe get to the SB. If there was ever a time in Gutey's career, past, present and future to be a little reckless and say "wth here goes nothing" THIS is the time. 

Moreover, I can pretty much guarantee that the 3rd or 4th round pick we give up to get a guy isn't going to make or break our future...especially if 12 isn't a part of that future. We'll survive. 

Edited by packfanfb
  • Like 1

I don't see how a 4th for beckham isn't warranted at this point. 

At that price point you can release him after the season, and he has no dead money on the cap beyond this year.  If he is a problem, you just inactivate him then cut him after the season.  If he's good, then you can keep him or restructure him or trade him for a 2nd.

Everything I've seen from the cut-ups is that he is OPEN and Baker just can't get him the ball.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't see how a 4th for beckham isn't warranted at this point. 

At that price point you can release him after the season, and he has no dead money on the cap beyond this year.  If he is a problem, you just inactivate him then cut him after the season.  If he's good, then you can keep him or restructure him or trade him for a 2nd.

Everything I've seen from the cut-ups is that he is OPEN and Baker just can't get him the ball.

Or Baker doesn’t want to because Beckham is a bad teammate and has been since a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Or Baker doesn’t want to because Beckham is a bad teammate and has been since a long time ago.

sure.  Also baker is hurt and playing pretty awful.  Also beckham is hurt and playing awful, but it's not like he's shutting it down either.

It's a very muddy situation, and a chance to potentially get a really talented guy on the cheap at very low risk.  Maybe the Browns don't see it that way and they won't take a reasonable low offer.

7 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Once in a while it's okay to "overpay" though. Wolf traded a 2nd for Keith Jackson when we already had Chmura on the roster. Sherman traded a 2 for Al Harris in 2003. For the second year in a row the Packers are in prime position to be a top seed and maybe get to the SB. If there was ever a time in Gutey's career, past, present and future to be a little reckless and say "wth here goes nothing" THIS is the time. 

Moreover, I can pretty much guarantee that the 3rd or 4th round pick we give up to get a guy isn't going to make or break our future...especially if 12 isn't a part of that future. We'll survive. 

In a 'normal' year people don't take enough account of contract in trades. Eg if you give up a 2nd round pick for a player on a 10m contract then its not a case of is the player you get on trade better than what you would get for a 2nd round pick its whether the player you are trading for is better than a 2nd round pick + 8m worth of free agents.

For that reason, its not normally worth trading picks for players unless they are on a rookie contract.

This year is a bit different obviously given we are putting everything on credit.  But there is still the case that if we are going young next year which we almost certainly will be then we need as many picks as possible. 

On balance I would be aggressive this year but this year only.

10 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Yes, nothing would tells the fanbase more about how much they are loved like making some bad trades. Now go home and cut your ear off to show your wife how much you love her.