Trade Deadline - Nov. 2

packfanfb

1 minute ago, mikemike778 said:

In a 'normal' year people don't take enough account of contract in trades. Eg if you give up a 2nd round pick for a player on a 10m contract then its not a case of is the player you get on trade better than what you would get for a 2nd round pick its whether the player you are trading for is better than a 2nd round pick + 8m worth of free agents.

For that reason, its not normally worth trading picks for players unless they are on a rookie contract.

This year is a bit different obviously given we are putting everything on credit.  But there is still the case that if we are going young next year which we almost certainly will be then we need as many picks as possible. 

On balance I would be aggressive this year but this year only.

Again, define "worth." I think we would probably define that word differently given the "worth" you're assigning to the draft pick versus the "worth" of a renting a player, even for just the rest of this season. 

Just now, R T said:

Yes, nothing would tells the fanbase more about how much they are loved like making some bad trades. Now go home and cut your ear off to show your wife how much you love her.  

So KJ and Harris were bad trades now? Man, you must have really hated Ron Wolf. 

11 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I don't see how a 4th for beckham isn't warranted at this point. 

At that price point you can release him after the season, and he has no dead money on the cap beyond this year.  If he is a problem, you just inactivate him then cut him after the season.  If he's good, then you can keep him or restructure him or trade him for a 2nd.

Everything I've seen from the cut-ups is that he is OPEN and Baker just can't get him the ball.

Only catching up so may have missed something but his base salary this year is way beyond our cap means. Would have to restructure I guess with a stack of void years.  Our dead cap for next year would be starting to look like a typo though

I don't have a strong opinion on OBJ. I'd be excited if we got him because I trust the FO evaluators, but I'm 100% totally fine not even knocking on that door because he's a headache and I have zero interest in disrupting THIS team with a mefirst guy like him who hasn't been nearly as good as his contract before factoring in draft compensation anyway.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I don't have a strong opinion on OBJ. I'd be excited if we got him because I trust the FO evaluators, but I'm 100% totally fine not even knocking on that door because he's a headache and I have zero interest in disrupting THIS team with a mefirst guy like him who hasn't been nearly as good as his contract before factoring in draft compensation anyway.

He was a headache in NY. I dont fault him for anything during his time in CLE. You never hear about him.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

the biggest takeaway I have from OBJ in cleveland is that he's been misused and under-utilized on a "run first" team with a middling to average QB who struggles to get him the ball even when he's frequently wide open. 

And the browns are 1 of 2 things:

1. a true run-first team that is relying on defense and their excellent run game and run-blocking to try and win games

2. a team that is afraid to turn it loose because their QB just isn't that good.

If they are number 1, they are squandering their roster construction of Baker, OBJ, Hooper, Jarvis Landry and are a poorly run team or a bad coach/GM fit.  This is what I saw last year from the Browns, but OBJ was hurt so it made sense.

If they are number 2, which is what I see this year, they have no need for a highly paid WR.

Pretty sure any team in the NFL would love to have him on their team, even after the past few seasons.

Also, OBJ in cleveland hasn't been nearly the distraction he was in NY.  I'm sure there were a few minor things, but the main storyline for him in Cleveland has been that he's gotten injured.  And while he's banged up right now, he's also playing through the injury which isn't very mefirst from my perspective.

• Like 3

Just now, packfanfb said:

Don't we just about owe Djax a roster spot for literally getting us into the playoffs in 2010 on that return against the Giants? 

Dude can still get open deep .. it's not a bad thing to have a guy or two that can take the top off of a defense, plus there is that old Aaron/Cal connection.

Just now, {Family Ghost} said:

Dude can still get open deep .. it's not a bad thing to have a guy or two that can take the top off of a defense, plus there is that old Aaron/Cal connection.

Yea, I'm guessing it's a no simply because we have like 8 WRs already on the roster and we seem to have an affinity with St. Brown. Taylor probably sticks because he's a gunner, and Rodgers obviously isn't going anywhere. So from a pure numbers game, I don't see DJax coming here. 

Just a thought about the Eagles being sellers...  They have a pretty good chance to make the playoffs.  They have 2 games against the Giants, and Football Team remaining, as well as the Jets and Broncos, vs 3 likely losses to Dallas, NO, and the Chargers.  The competition for that 7th spot is going to Carolina right now, and they are competing with the Vikings, 49ers, Seahawks, Bears, and Falcons.  I don't have any faith in any of those teams, and they most likely have a more difficult road than the Eagles.  

14 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Don't we just about owe Djax a roster spot for literally getting us into the playoffs in 2010 on that return against the Giants? 

I gave myself a minor ankle sprain jumping up and down screaming while watching that return.  It's probably my favorite memory from watching any non-Packers game.

• Like 1